2012 MLB season thread

laughedatbytime

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11-0 and it's not even over yet! rofl3.gif

If only it were in Anaheim, free Hooters wings for everyone at the 10+ run game! laugh.gif

I actually had that experience in the 2007 season when I went to a 10-7 game against, oddly enough, the Tigers. Orlando Cabrera hit a 2 run homer to tie it up. I knew where I was going for lunch the next day. biggrin.gif

Brewers Relievers 3

Cardinals 2

FINALLY....some tough pitching late in the game.....

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 17 2012, 10:23 PM)
Brewers Relievers 3
Cardinals 2

FINALLY....some tough pitching late in the game.....

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Brewers 4

Cardinals 3

Yet ANOTHER heart attack-inducing 9th inning for the Brewers' relievers. Francisco Rodriguez survived yet ANOTHER huge jam to get the save. That's two games in a row..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

Unbelievable ohmy.gif

Giants lose a 3-1 lead in the 10th to Atlanta extra, only needed 1 more out to end the game. In the top of the 11th, Crawford hits himself with a foul tip to the knee and has to stay in the game because there are no position players left. So what does he do? He hits a 3 run BOMB. Then guess what, Blanco DOES THE SAME THING.

Edit: Chipper may have gotten a homer, but nowhere close to enough.

Giants win 9-4 in the 11th.

Edited by Ultra

A wary thumbs up to Selig...ads on unis suck donkey balls...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...ut-ads-uniforms

Citing the historic significance of his sport's uniforms, Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig is in no hurry to follow the NBA's lead in allowing small advertising patches to be placed on uniforms.

"You learn never to say never, but you know, with us, uniforms are really important," Selig said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "They're history.

"You can close your eyes, and that Cub uniform, my goodness gracious, I can remember (that from) when I was 10 years old, and that's a long time ago. And there's the Yankee pinstripes, and the Red Sox and so on and so forth, so I've been pretty consistent on that."

Selig also has been consistent on limiting the role of replay, which is being expanded to include trapped balls and balls hit down either foul line. Selig said team managers, front-office personnel and his 14-man committee made up of people such as Tony La Russa and Joe Torre voted unanimously to not expand replay further. Selig also referenced attendance records as proof that fans are happy with the state of the game.

"Baseball is a game of pace," Selig said. "I'm not going to comment on other sports, but I know our sport, I know it well. ... I obviously talk to a lot of people every day. We're going to expand it to -- as I call them -- bullets hit down the right- and left-field line, and trapped balls in the outfield. I must tell you, not only that committee unanimously, but many others have said, 'Commissioner, boy that's enough now.' And I agree with them.

"When I say there's no appetite for further replay, I wasn't kidding. There's none. And there are some people who think I may have done more than they hoped I would do."

When told that many fans would prefer more replay, Selig said: "I'm not sure that's true. We do a lot of polling. I talk to a lot of fans. I get a lot of mail every day and I answer every piece of mail here. And guess what, guys, I get almost no letters, calls or thoughts on instant replay.

"We're setting attendance records. We're having a year this year that's unbelievable. The last five years have been the greatest five years in baseball history -- setting records nobody ever thought possible. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to look at this.

"And we'll continue to review all this. ... And instant replay doesn't always solve problems, by the way. Sometimes it creates more, there's more uncertainty. But you can't keep stopping games."

Thome hits 610 vs Tribe, moves past (name of third highest PED enhanced total) on all time list.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 21 2012, 08:45 AM)
Jays and Astros made big 10 player trade yesterday...no big names really...but Happ is good pick up for Jays to patch up the rotation for now...good riddance to Francisco Cordero...

Agree about Happ.

Decent year for the Blue Jays. This is one of the injury years and they're still .500-ish in AL East this year, so I think they're showing depth and think they're moving in a great direction. Really like Farrell.

Seeing them at Fenway tomorrow afternoon. Go Blue Jays! smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 21 2012, 09:33 AM)
Jays and Astros made big 10 player trade yesterday...no big names really...but Happ is good pick up for Jays to patch up the rotation for now...good riddance to Francisco Cordero...

Agree about Happ.

Decent year for the Blue Jays. This is one of the injury years and they're still .500-ish in AL East this year, so I think they're showing depth and think they're moving in a great direction. Really like Farrell.

Traitor. wink.gif

Many years ago I too lived in Norwood, BTW, about 50 yards away from the commuter rail station.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jul 20 2012, 10:31 PM)
Toronto 6 Boston 1  smile.gif  Jays at 46 and 47  1287.gif

Beckett, man. He and Lester should have come out this year breathing fire after last September. That neither of them did speaks volumes about their character.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 21 2012, 10:00 AM)

Agree about Happ.

Traitor. wink.gif

Many years ago I too lived in Norwood, BTW, about 50 yards away from the commuter rail station.

Thanks. smile.gif Pretty close to the purple line myself.

The RedSox have bigger problems than Beckett and Lester, although they're certainly not helping things.

Watch out for Baltimore in the next few years. Sleeping giant if Angelo lets Duquette do his thing, imo.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 21 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 21 2012, 10:00 AM)

Agree about Happ.

Traitor. wink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif Pretty close to the purple line myself.

The RedSox have bigger problems than Beckett and Lester, although they're certainly not helping things.

Watch out for Baltimore in the next few years. Sleeping giant if Angelo lets Duquette do his thing, imo.

Agreed. Duke may not have the best people skills, I don't know him myself of course, but he was certainly right about Clemens being in the twilight of his career in 1996. I think the whole division is going to be tough the next few years.

I think the Sox are sellers this year. I think it's time for Beckett and Lester to go. The Crawford for Hanley Ramirez trade they've been talking about on WEEI is interesting too.

The Brewers' season is slipping away fast..... fists crying.gif The offense is slumping at the absolutely worst possible time......when they're playing the division leaders..... doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

Dear Jerry DiPoto,Moreno & Scioscia,

Find some way to get rid of Ervin Santana before the July deadline. I don't care if you just get peanuts out of it. I want whatever it is you're smoking when you had him pitch the same game as Darvish today.

Sincerely,

a concerned Angels fan. facepalm.gif

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jul 21 2012, 09:29 PM)
Dear Jerry DiPoto,Moreno & Scioscia,

Find some way to get rid of Ervin Santana before the July deadline. I don't care if you just get peanuts out of it. I want whatever it is you're smoking when you had him pitch the same game as Darvish today.

Sincerely,

a concerned Angels fan. facepalm.gif

I just looked at the Angels page at Baseball Prospectus. The Angels are paying Vernon Wells $24.6 million this year, for below replacement performance.