Rush Vinyl

Vt Digital Man

In my lifetime, I think I've only heard one album on Viynl. That was Led Zeppelin IV. I have hundreds of records, yet I don't trust myself to take care of them. I already manhandle CD's and since they are much more replaceable, I'll stick to them. Plus MP3, CD, Cassette, Viynl.... It doensn't make much difference to me. As long as the quality is decent and I can enjoy the music. Edited by Union 5-3992

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Mar 24 2012, 07:35 PM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Mar 24 2012, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (ytserush @ Mar 24 2012, 05:53 PM)
I have everything except:

A commercial release of the Grace Under Pressure Tour
Test For Echo
Restrospective I, II, III
Different Stages
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-87
Rush In Rio
R30
Snakes And Arrows Live
Time Machine (The whole concert)

I'm also willing to part with the Mercury albums (ie... Rush through A Show Of Hands) if anyone is looking for anything.

I don't think most of these are available on vinyl.

Besides Snakes and Arrows, yes, they were all never released

EDIT: and a "commercial version" of GUP

I forgot about that Rush Gold release and those two Icon releases.

Those haven't been released on vinyl either.

We owned everything from the debut through GUP until last week, when we added Power Windows. We found it for $7 in Atlanta. Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:33 PM)
I'm still hunting for an affordable copy of Vapor Trails.

I need Counterparts as well.

Got all the others, including MP live which has just been ordered.

This is where I am too.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 19 2012, 06:31 PM)
The whole "vinyl sounds better" thing... I don't get that. The format matters *way* less than the equipment you're playing it on, as Alan Parsons says. I trust his opinion on it.

It definitely sounds different. Whether it's better or not is up to the listener. I absolutely prefer the warmness of vinyl though.

I have most of the studio and live LPs that were pressed except for RTB, Counterparts, and VT. I need MP Live too.

I love vinyl and have a great collection. But I also have one of those crappy sounding retro Crosley record players with the built-in speakers. I want to upgrade to a real system of some sort, but can't figure out how to do it for less than $500 or so. If anyone has any advice on that please help me out. I check craigslist all the time in hopes that someone around my area is looking to unload a nice setup for 1-200 bucks.

Anyway, I went into my local hipster/indie rock record store the other day where they never have anything on Rush. I was browsing the Yes section and suddenly Fly By Night comes on over the stereo system. I went to the counter and said "I can't believe you're playing Fly By Night!" This is one of those stores where I assumed I would be laughed at if I mentioned I'm into Rush and prog. The clerk said, "It just seemed like a good idea to give it a spin." He then informed me that someone recently came in and unloaded a nice stack of Rush vinyl. I went straight to the Rush section and found nice quality copies of FBN, 2112, Power Windows, MP, and Perm Waves. I could ony afford Perm Waves and MP. I now have those, along with Hemispheres, on vinyl.

I ended up having an awesome discussion of Rush with the sales attendant. He had no idea about the new album coming out so I gave him the total rundown and he seemed really excited.

I did my Rush duty for the day!!!

Again, if anyone has any advice on turntables and if I could put a decent system together for a manageable price please let me know...

Get this. Yesterday I visited my local record store, just to see what this record store day was all about. I walked out with four albums, two of which were "Fly By Night", and "Permanent Waves". $3 for FBN and $4 for PW. THEN, this morning I put on Fly By Night and took a quick look at the sleeve, which is not in the greatest shape, but it's solid. Something on the back caught my eye. In the upper left, which is kind of a dark blue, written in blue ink (kinda hard to see), it says

"To Bob-Great having you at one of our concerts. N. Peart"

My jaw hit the floor. I'm so glad the guy at the store hadn't noticed that. What a find! I'm stoked.

So that brings my Rush vinyl collection to 5. I bought Exit Stage Left and Signals on Ebay for $7, including shipping, and found 2112 in a store for $1. 5 albums for $15, not too shabby.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 14 2012, 08:16 PM)
Picked up a copy of Hemispheres and Yes's Fragile from Half-Price Books earlier this evening, $3.99 each. Both are in great shape. Listening to Hemispheres now. My first Rush album on vinyl!

goin to half price books tonight!! hopin they got some rush available baby!!

i've been tracking the conversations about listening to vinyl and the richness of the medium. perhaps the sound is nostalgic and thus appreciated. perhaps not.

in any event, i've got loads of old Rush stuff on vinyl. so, i'm thinking about getting a turntable to play them on. any guidance on equipment?

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 19 2012, 09:07 AM)
I love vinyl and have a great collection. But I also have one of those crappy sounding retro Crosley record players with the built-in speakers. I want to upgrade to a real system of some sort, but can't figure out how to do it for less than $500 or so. If anyone has any advice on that please help me out. I check craigslist all the time in hopes that someone around my area is looking to unload a nice setup for 1-200 bucks.

Anyway, I went into my local hipster/indie rock record store the other day where they never have anything on Rush. I was browsing the Yes section and suddenly Fly By Night comes on over the stereo system. I went to the counter and said "I can't believe you're playing Fly By Night!" This is one of those stores where I assumed I would be laughed at if I mentioned I'm into Rush and prog. The clerk said, "It just seemed like a good idea to give it a spin." He then informed me that someone recently came in and unloaded a nice stack of Rush vinyl. I went straight to the Rush section and found nice quality copies of FBN, 2112, Power Windows, MP, and Perm Waves. I could ony afford Perm Waves and MP. I now have those, along with Hemispheres, on vinyl.

I ended up having an awesome discussion of Rush with the sales attendant. He had no idea about the new album coming out so I gave him the total rundown and he seemed really excited.

Again, if anyone has any advice on turntables and if I could put a decent system together for a manageable price please let me know...

i just conferred with my old man who recently purchased a new turntable. he's an audiophile and picked up a Rega RP3. Said it's about $900 US.

knowing my pops, the kid did some research. he's probably got 5000 LPs and he was an opera singer back in the day.

so there you have it.

QUOTE (smerik @ Apr 22 2012, 02:34 PM)
Something on the back caught my eye. In the upper left, which is kind of a dark blue, written in blue ink (kinda hard to see), it says

"To Bob-Great having you at one of our concerts. N. Peart"

My jaw hit the floor. I'm so glad the guy at the store hadn't noticed that. What a find! I'm stoked.

Cool find.

About 15 years ago, I went record shopping in New York City and found a slightly worn copy of Power Windows signed in blue pen ink for about $3.

Of course, I can't be 100 percent certain it's real, but based on other signatures I have and have seen, it sure looks like it.

Nothing comes close to the sound of those Rush 12 inch singles. I was expecting Signals on the Sector 3 boxset to sound like those and was disappointed.

I had New World Man, Subdivisions and Countdown on 12 inch, anyone manage to get Countdown on a Space Shuttle shaped picture disc?

QUOTE (Bone Roller @ Apr 22 2012, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 19 2012, 09:07 AM)

i just conferred with my old man who recently purchased a new turntable. he's an audiophile and picked up a Rega RP3. Said it's about $900 US.

knowing my pops, the kid did some research. he's probably got 5000 LPs and he was an opera singer back in the day.

so there you have it.

Thanks for this tip.

The problem is I'm ignorant in the most basic sense. I'm 35 and I've been a musician for over 20 years. I can talk shop when it comes to guitar equipment, but I don't understand what, exactly, I need for a decent turntable system.

Turntable and speakers, of course. But do I need a receiver? Or an amp? What is the difference between a receiver and an amp? I don't care about having a CD player or radio in my system. I just want to play records on a decent sounding table through decent sounding speakers, and somehow do this within a manageable budget.

If I were to try to piece a setup together from craigslist, what components do I need to gather? I have a couple of Roland studio monitors that are self-powered that I could use as speakers. Could I just plug a turntable into those and skip the amp/receiver component?

I know I could sit around and read about this on the web, but I like getting advice from my trusted fellow Rush fans who speak my language. wink.gif

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 23 2012, 02:00 AM)
Nothing comes close to the sound of those Rush 12 inch singles. I was expecting Signals on the Sector 3 boxset to sound like those and was disappointed.
I had New World Man, Subdivisions and Countdown on 12 inch, anyone manage to get Countdown on a Space Shuttle shaped picture disc?

I've got that Countdown picture disc. (and those other Signals singles.)

That's a pretty tough one to find in decent shape. Not sure how many were pressed. I've never played it, but it won't sound that great.

Picture discs and colored vinyl are more for collecting than playing. They don't sound as good as regular black vinyl even though they look a lot nicer.

I've got all the Rush vinyl up to and including Hold Your Fire (except for Archives and various singles/picture disc/limited edition thingies; was never much of a "collector" but I do have the Big Money 12" single). In 1988 I got my first CD player and thus from then on it was mostly CDs for me.

No turntable at the moment though, alas!

Edited by Bangster of Goats