Another reason RUSH is the BEST band EVER!

Presto-a RUSH fan!

So I happened to see an article about the band Creed going out on tour and performing 2 of their albums in their entirety. I am not a Creed fan, although I don't hate them, and I know I liked one or two or their popular songs the first couple times I heard them. Of course, when they played those songs into the ground I began to hate them.

But I digress.

Here is an example of why we should NEVER complain about RUSH as far as concerts, setlists AND Geddy's voice goes.

For one, a friend of mine was a HUGE Creed fan who lives in Washington (the state, not the DC tongue.gif) and I remember him telling me how he was bummed when Creed canceled their concert because of the lead singers voice was gone. Now mind you, this was a long time ago, maybe like 2003 or around that time and the lead singer was alot younger than Geddy. Also, I don't know how many albums Creed had at that time, but sure as heck not as many as RUSH. But hey, that can happen to any lead singer. But I remember hearing over the years that they have had to repeatedly cancel shows due to his voice.

So I read this article Creed announces new tour to play 2 albums in entirety and I think, wow, that is cool for them to do for their fans. TWO whole albums in their entirety. Taking a page out of RUSH's book, but upping it to 2 albums.....until I looked at the tour dates.

DATES:

April 13th

Chicago Theatre (Chicago, IL)

Creed performs My Own Prison

April 14th

Creed performs Human Clay

April 16th

Tower Theatre (Philadelphia, PA)

April 17th

April 19th

Beacon Theatre (New York, NY)

April 20th

April 21st

Mohegan Sun (Uncasville, CT)

April 24th

Warner Theatre (Washington DC)

April 27th

Orpheum Theatre (Boston, MA)

April 30th

Verizon Wireless Theatre (Houston, TX)

May 1st

May 9th

Comerica Theatre (Phoenix, AZ)

May 11th

The Pearl (Las Vegas, NV)

May 15th

Wiltern Theatre (Los Angeles, CA)

May 19th

Paramount (Denver, CO)

May 21st

Midland Theatre (Kansas City, MO)

May 22nd

They will be playing 2 dates at each venue. On the first night they will play the one album, on the second night, they will play the second album. Now of course they will play other songs from other albums they have. (not sure how big their catalog is) But RUSH at probably twice the age of these guys are play about 3 albums worth of songs at any given concert, and alot of RUSH's songs are way longer than your normal 4 to 5 minute rock song.

Can you imagine the people bitching if RUSH did this? I for one would be happy and go to both shows to see, say Hemispheres and AFTK, on successive nights. But I know alot of criticism would come out that RUSH is just "cash grabbing" by not just playing both in one night.

Now here is this band with a waaaay smaller catalog and instead of just playing both albums (22 total songs) along with a couple others all in one night, they break it up into to separate concerts. Now THAT is cash grabbing!

If I counted right, RUSH played 24 songs on the TMT and that is not counting Neil's amazing drum solo. And these 3 guys who are almost 60 yrs old, do it all in one night for 3 hours and then have a day off and do it all again.

I don't know about you, and I know most of us realize this, but RUSH is simply the best band ever, in every way possible. From them as human beings, to music, lyrics, concerts, and fan appreciation, the whole 10 yards!

We are so lucky to be fans of a band like 2.gif !

I agree with your point about people and their bitching all the time about ANYTHING related to a Rush show, but that's why a lot of people come to these boards. I frequent many other boards of my favorite bands, and you NEVER have any sort of harmony amongst the devoted - especially when it comes to live shows, touring, set lists, etc.

I can take Creed in small doses. I'm pretty sure their first two albums (the ones that they're playing in the entirety) have sold more than Rush's entire catalog COMBINED. I'm NOT saying they're better....just stating fact.

After the first two Creed albums, their popularity waned a bit. They only have four total albums, and the latest is some sort of "comeback" after they broke up.

Anyway, yes, I'm thankful that Rush still tours, I still enjoy them, and hope they're around for many years to come....

Clem

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 19 2012, 02:35 PM)
So I happened to see an article about the band Creed going out on tour and performing 2 of their albums in their entirety. I am not a Creed fan, although I don't hate them, and I know I liked one or two or their popular songs the first couple times I heard them. Of course, when they played those songs into the ground I began to hate them.

But I digress.

Here is an example of why we should NEVER complain about RUSH as far as concerts, setlists AND Geddy's voice goes.

For one, a friend of mine was a HUGE Creed fan who lives in Washington (the state, not the DC tongue.gif) and I remember him telling me how he was bummed when Creed canceled their concert because of the lead singers voice was gone. Now mind you, this was a long time ago, maybe like 2003 or around that time and the lead singer was alot younger than Geddy. Also, I don't know how many albums Creed had at that time, but sure as heck not as many as RUSH. But hey, that can happen to any lead singer. But I remember hearing over the years that they have had to repeatedly cancel shows due to his voice.

So I read this article Creed announces new tour to play 2 albums in entirety and I think, wow, that is cool for them to do for their fans. TWO whole albums in their entirety. Taking a page out of RUSH's book, but upping it to 2 albums.....until I looked at the tour dates.

DATES:

April 13th

April 14th

April 16th

April 17th

April 19th

April 20th

April 21st

April 24th

April 27th

April 30th

May 1st

May 9th

May 11th

May 15th

May 19th
Paramount (Denver, CO)

May 21st

May 22nd

They will be playing 2 dates at each venue. On the first night they will play the one album, on the second night, they will play the second album. Now of course they will play other songs from other albums they have. (not sure how big their catalog is) But RUSH at probably twice the age of these guys are play about 3 albums worth of songs at any given concert, and alot of RUSH's songs are way longer than your normal 4 to 5 minute rock song.

Can you imagine the people bitching if RUSH did this? I for one would be happy and go to both shows to see, say Hemispheres and AFTK, on successive nights. But I know alot of criticism would come out that RUSH is just "cash grabbing" by not just playing both in one night.

Now here is this band with a waaaay smaller catalog and instead of just playing both albums (22 total songs) along with a couple others all in one night, they break it up into to separate concerts. Now THAT is cash grabbing!

If I counted right, RUSH played 24 songs on the TMT and that is not counting Neil's amazing drum solo. And these 3 guys who are almost 60 yrs old, do it all in one night for 3 hours and then have a day off and do it all again.

I don't know about you, and I know most of us realize this, but RUSH is simply the best band ever, in every way possible. From them as human beings, to music, lyrics, concerts, and fan appreciation, the whole 10 yards!

alex is that you? unsure.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 19 2012, 05:26 PM)
So I happened to see an article about the band Creed going out on tour and performing 2 of their albums in their entirety.  I am not a Creed fan, although I don't hate them, and I know I liked one or two or their popular songs the first couple times I heard them.  Of course, when they played those songs into the ground I began to hate them.

But I digress. 

For one, a friend of mine was a HUGE Creed fan who lives in Washington (the state, not the DC  tongue.gif) and I remember him telling me how he was bummed when Creed canceled their concert because of the lead singers voice was gone.  Now mind you, this was a long time ago, maybe like 2003 or around that time and the lead singer was alot younger than Geddy.  Also, I don't know how many albums Creed had at that time, but sure as heck not as many as RUSH.  But hey, that can happen to any lead singer.  But I remember hearing over the years that they have had to repeatedly cancel shows due to his voice.

So I read this article Creed announces new tour to play 2 albums in entirety and I think, wow, that is cool for them to do for their fans.  TWO whole albums in their entirety.  Taking a page out of RUSH's book, but upping it to 2 albums.....until I looked at the tour dates. 

DATES:

April 13th       

April 14th       

April 16th       

April 17th       

April 19th       

April 20th       

April 21st       

April 24th       

April 27th       

April 30th       

May 1st         

May 9th         

May 11th       

May 15th       

May 19th       
Paramount (Denver, CO)                           

May 21st       

May 22nd       

They will be playing 2 dates at each venue.  On the first night they will play the one album, on the second night, they will play the second album.  Now of course they will play other songs from other albums they have. (not sure how big their catalog is) But RUSH at probably twice the age of these guys are play about 3 albums worth of songs at any given concert, and alot of RUSH's songs are way longer than your normal 4 to 5 minute rock song.

Can you imagine the people bitching if RUSH did this?  I for one would be happy and go to both shows to see, say Hemispheres and AFTK, on successive nights.  But I know alot of criticism would come out that RUSH is just "cash grabbing" by not just playing both in one night. 

Now here is this band with a waaaay smaller catalog and instead of just playing both albums (22 total songs) along with a couple others all in one night, they break it up into to separate concerts.  Now THAT is cash grabbing!

If I counted right, RUSH played 24 songs on the TMT and that is not counting Neil's amazing drum solo.  And these 3 guys who are almost 60 yrs old, do it all in one night for 3 hours and then have a day off and do it all again. 

I don't know about you, and I know most of us realize this, but RUSH is simply the best band ever, in every way possible.  From them as human beings, to music, lyrics, concerts, and fan appreciation, the whole 10 yards!

We are so lucky to be fans of a band like  2.gif !

alex is that you? unsure.gif

NO!! This is Neil! Alex doesn't care about trivial things like this, while I follow these boards and care 100% about what the fans think! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Funny story about creed, when the song arms wide open came out, someone i know just had a newborn and he was all bragging and saying that that song was about him and his boy, all happy. well, within a year or 2 come to find out, there was something wrong with the kid and when he had blood work done he found out the kid wasnt even his, the DNA didnt match. wow,,, so my friend told me ""arms wide open"" was on the radio one day and he all changed the station... dag......... so everytime i hear about creed i think of that guy...

QUOTE (clem @ Feb 19 2012, 05:25 PM)
I agree with your point about people and their bitching all the time about ANYTHING related to a Rush show, but that's why a lot of people come to these boards.  I frequent many other boards of my favorite bands, and you NEVER have any sort of harmony amongst the devoted - especially when it comes to live shows, touring, set lists, etc.

I can take Creed in small doses.  I'm pretty sure their first two albums (the ones that they're playing in the entirety) have sold more than Rush's entire catalog COMBINED.  I'm NOT saying they're better....just stating fact.

After the first two Creed albums, their popularity waned a bit.  They only have four total albums, and the latest is some sort of "comeback" after they broke up.

Anyway, yes, I'm thankful that Rush still tours, I still enjoy them, and hope they're around for many years to come....

Clem

I totally understand what your saying...but...

While I am sure, especially in the US, that Creed has sold alot of albums, probably more than RUSH, I think that longevity and the fact that the same 3 men have been together putting out music from 1974 until 2012 and are still relevant is a pretty strong statement. I know you said that record sales doesn't mean that Creed is better than RUSH, (if that were the case, I'm sure we could argue that Britney Spears is better than RUSH) but then why bring record sales into it at all? But since you did:

This is taken from Wikipedia:

As a group, Rush possesses 24 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records. Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. Rush also ranks 79th in U.S. album sales with 25 million units. Although total worldwide album sales are not calculated by any single entity, as of 2004 several industry sources estimated Rush's total worldwide album sales at over 40 million units.

Being third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band is pretty rarified air.

When Creed gets to their 19 studio album release, about to be 20, then maybe you can tout their record sales as meaning something more than it really does.

I get what your saying. But I'm just saying. wink.gif

Bottom line is, we are both RUSH fans and know they are great!

trink39.gif

But I digress.

DATES:

April 13th

April 14th

April 16th

April 17th

April 19th

April 20th

April 21st

April 24th

April 27th

April 30th

May 1st

May 9th

May 11th

May 15th

May 19th
Paramount (Denver, CO)

May 21st

May 22nd

goodpost.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Damn straight! People don't realize how much dedication Rush has to it's live show and how spoiled we really are.

Classic rock bands nowadays and even younger modern bands play short sets, with 2-3 opening bands on the bill. 13-16 songs. Can you imagine if Rush played a set that short? No seriously. Imagine it. DO IT.

ph34r.gif

Edited by Echoes

QUOTE (Echoes @ Feb 20 2012, 02:44 AM)
Damn straight! People don't realize how much dedication Rush has to it's live show and how spoiled we really are.

Classic rock bands nowadays and even younger modern bands play short sets, with 2-3 opening bands on the bill. 13-16 songs. Can you imagine if Rush played a set that short? No seriously. Imagine it. DO IT.

ph34r.gif

I did it!!!!! unsure.gif scared.gif

And I didn't like it one bit! laugh.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 19 2012, 03:54 PM)
This is a great post and you're absolutely right.

^ THIS^

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley2285.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Feb 20 2012, 01:44 AM)

ph34r.gif

Great post, could not have said it better. I don't know to many people that can say their favorite band is still touring and producing new material. They have been my number 1 band since the early 80's. I consider myself lucky that they are still around. 2.gif

QUOTE (BigBob @ Feb 21 2012, 02:18 PM)
I have to disagree. I don't think Rush has the shredding abilities as Creed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUF00Q6CYs

Obviously this is a joke...and a good one...at least I hope. huh.gif

I mean, if people like that, good for them. But for the love of RUSH, I just wasted 2 mins of my life and I now feel like my head is going to explode and I'm going to be sick. 062802puke_prv.gif

WOW...I'm sure they sound better but....WOW...that might be the worst thing I have ever heard!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 21 2012, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (BigBob @ Feb 21 2012, 02:18 PM)
I have to disagree. I don't think Rush has the shredding abilities as Creed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUF00Q6CYs

Obviously this is a joke...and a good one...at least I hope. huh.gif

I mean, if people like that, good for them. But for the love of RUSH, I just wasted 2 mins of my life and I now feel like my head is going to explode and I'm going to be sick. 062802puke_prv.gif

WOW...I'm sure they sound better but....WOW...that might be the worst thing I have ever heard!

Yeah it was joke laugh.gif

A friend at work showed me those videos of Creed Shredding. It's some of the funniest videos I've ever seen. Creed really doesn't sound like that...they sound much worse!!! biggrin.gif J/K

ph34r.gif

I hear 'ya. I think I would be somewhat heartbroken if Rush only played 1 90 minute set. I've definately gotten used to the no opener/2 set shows.

Most of the bands I see nowdays follow the same format (the various incarnations of the Grateful Dead, Govt Mule, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers).

I was in Denver this past weekend for two of the Phil Lesh and Friends shows (with Warren Haynes). They only played about 16 songs each night but the songs 'tend' to be longer: they started at 8:05 and finished about 12:20. With intermission, it was about 3 hrs and 40 minutes of music. Not bad for someone turning 72 next month.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I had to go see Hootie and the Blowfish for my anniversary. Thanks goodness it was only a 90 minute set and I got to get out of there before I tried to poke something into my ear canals.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Feb 21 2012, 03:23 PM)

ph34r.gif

I hear 'ya. I think I would be somewhat heartbroken if Rush only played 1 90 minute set. I've definately gotten used to the no opener/2 set shows.

Most of the bands I see nowdays follow the same format (the various incarnations of the Grateful Dead, Govt Mule, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers).

I was in Denver this past weekend for two of the Phil Lesh and Friends shows (with Warren Haynes). They only played about 16 songs each night but the songs 'tend' to be longer: they started at 8:05 and finished about 12:20. With intermission, it was about 3 hrs and 40 minutes of music. Not bad for someone turning 72 next month.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I had to go see Hootie and the Blowfish for my anniversary. Thanks goodness it was only a 90 minute set and I got to get out of there before I tried to poke something into my ear canals.

Hey...easy, don't be dissing Hootie and his blowfish! laugh.gif

I got so sick of the really popular song they had!!! Thank God for the fact that listening to the radio isn't necessary anymore. I remember back in the day a cassette got jammed in my player and it was all radio for 2 months!! 062802puke_prv.gif

I love that you said "had" to go! laugh.gif

Yeah, I mean if RUSH decided they could only do a 90 min set, I would still go and I'd be bummed, but my thought is as long as they still tour, I don't care if they play for 60 mins! Then again, the prices better be ALOT lower if they ever did that.

But thankfully, I don't think RUSH is ever going back to the days of opening bands and short sets!

Again...just another reason RUSH is the greatest band in the world!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 21 2012, 07:53 PM)
I wouldn't complain a bit if they scaled it back to 2 hours, especially if they cut out the same tired songs they've been trotting out for the past 30 years to do it. I could die happy never sitting through Tom Sawyer again.

Wow...as much as I don't seek out Tom Sawyer to listen to like I used to, I can't imagine a RUSH concert without it. It's their most popular song and even the most casual of fans love it. So when they play it, the place just explodes. While I get what your saying, I still want it played at every concert. There are just some songs that HAVE to be played, and that is one. IMO of course.