If SOPA and PIPA passes.. what will happen to TRF?

The Owl

Not going to try to go too into SOCN territory here, but limit the discussion to what would happen to TRF if SOPA and PIPA were to pass...

If sites could merely be shut down because a user posts a video link to a copywrited material (common in all sub forums), or album artwork/lyrics/even own pictures of you wearing a Rush (or any other band for that matter) t-shirt (its a copywrited image)... it will certainty have an effect on TRF here...

The new/vague/and overreaching restrictions will make posting almost anything Music/TV/Film/Game more difficult, almost impossible, due to the subject matter in here. I love our mods and admins and the work they do in here, but policing every post that might have a bit of a copywrited work... and that one infringment can shut down a site, under the possible new law...

So if SOPA and PIPA pass, can TRF exist?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, the Different Stages forum goes down and that's it. Facebook, youtube, wikipedia and many other sites will be majorly affected.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot how many copyrighted images there are on this site. If Rush croaks, it's over.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 09:19 PM)
In a word: no.

TRF would be one filing away from being shut down without hearing, trial or recourse. There's too many copyrighted images on display here, for one thing.

There's already a thread on this, here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=71221&hl=

my bad, did a search, no keywords

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 18 2012, 08:27 PM)

TRF would be one filing away from being shut down without hearing, trial or recourse. There's too many copyrighted images on display here, for one thing.

There's already a thread on this, here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=71221&hl=

No worries smile.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 18 2012, 08:21 PM)
From what I understand, the Different Stages forum goes down and that's it. Facebook, youtube, wikipedia and many other sites will be majorly affected.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot how many copyrighted images there are on this site. If Rush croaks, it's over.

The album covers in the header would be enough to trigger a compliant and get the site shut down. And unless the admins tried to shutter certain sections on their own in advance of a filing, the Powers That Be wouldn't be so precise as to demand only certain sections be closed.

As much as I hate career politicians sometimes, I hate the entertainment industry even more. They're the ones that wrote this ridiculous bill and got some shills in Washington to support it sad.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 18 2012, 08:21 PM)

The album covers in the header would be enough to trigger a compliant and get the site shut down. And unless the admins tried to shutter certain sections on their own in advance of a filing, the Powers That Be wouldn't be so precise as to demand only certain sections be closed.

As much as I hate career politicians sometimes, I hate the entertainment industry even more. They're the ones that wrote this ridiculous bill and got some shills in Washington to support it sad.gif

Everybody wants more power at the expense of others' liberty.

I've just read this - I'm guessing this also includes Photobucket, Flickr..? Are pics of vehicles and animals etc also affected? Are the other social networking sites affected? Music sites? How long would it take for SOPA and PIPA to shut everything down? How much time would we be given? I know it looks like I'm rambling, and I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm scared witless!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 19 2012, 02:43 PM)
I've just read this - I'm guessing this also includes Photobucket, Flickr..? Are pics of vehicles and animals etc also affected? Are the other social networking sites affected? Music sites? How long would it take for SOPA and PIPA to shut everything down? How much time would we be given? I know it looks like I'm rambling, and I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm scared witless!

It'd be like going back to 1992...or 1984

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 18 2012, 11:43 PM)

Oh, it's not just the content of the photos, like vehicles and whatnot - it's the pictures themselves. If I take a photograph of my garden, I own the copyright of the image. I can post it on my website. If you take that photograph and post it on your website without my permission, that's a copyright violation, and under the proposed SOPA/PIPA laws (as currently written), I could have your entire website shut down.

To put it another way, there are no objects in the 2112 cover. But that image is copyright protected, and TRF could get shut down for displaying it without permission of the copyright holder.

The legislation seems to be dead in the water as of tonight. The president promised a veto, several key congresspeople and senators have withdrawn support and sponsorship... it's pretty much over, by the looks of things. But if there's anything the history of these jackals in the entertainment industry shows, it's that SOPA/PIPA will be back. It might be a rider on another bill, it might be reintroduced itself next year, but it will be back. And we'll have to fight it again.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 19 2012, 02:35 AM)

No worries smile.gif

I saw this

The Senate will begin voting on January 24th
on the link provided. Does this mean the law will be passed or not? Have TRF, FB etc, escaped or are we all still in the firing line? Can forums and social networking sites still exist if all images, videos and music were removed?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 19 2012, 01:16 AM)

No worries smile.gif

I saw this

on the link provided. Does this mean the law will be passed or not? Have TRF, FB etc, escaped or are we all still in the firing line? Can forums and social networking sites still exist if all images, videos and music were removed?

nothing's official

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 19 2012, 09:17 AM)

No worries smile.gif

I saw this

nothing's official

So it's a 'wait and see' thing..?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 10:50 PM)

Oh, it's not just the content of the photos, like vehicles and whatnot - it's the pictures themselves. If I take a photograph of my garden, I own the copyright of the image. I can post it on my website. If you take that photograph and post it on your website without my permission, that's a copyright violation, and under the proposed SOPA/PIPA laws (as currently written), I could have your entire website shut down.

To put it another way, there are no objects in the 2112 cover. But that image is copyright protected, and TRF could get shut down for displaying it without permission of the copyright holder.

The legislation seems to be dead in the water as of tonight. The president promised a veto, several key congresspeople and senators have withdrawn support and sponsorship... it's pretty much over, by the looks of things. But if there's anything the history of these jackals in the entertainment industry shows, it's that SOPA/PIPA will be back. It might be a rider on another bill, it might be reintroduced itself next year, but it will be back. And we'll have to fight it again.

No, the Senate will vote on PIPA next week. As things stand, with Senators fleeing their support like rats off a sinking ship, we may be able to prevent it passing the Senate. I'm unsure of the support it has in the House, however.

But we can't let up on the pressure! We need to always have an eye out for more crappy laws in this vein.

Today on my political blog (only going to mention it, Mods so don't freak), Daily Kos, there were several great articles and discussion on SOPA and PIPA. They might be something even non-Dems might want to check out. I promise you, we will keep a watchful eye on this issue as I'm sure our colleagues on Conservative sites will do. After all, it would affect ALL of us. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 19 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 10:50 PM)

No, the Senate will vote on PIPA next week. As things stand, with Senators fleeing their support like rats off a sinking ship, we may be able to prevent it passing the Senate. I'm unsure of the support it has in the House, however.

But we can't let up on the pressure! We need to always have an eye out for more crappy laws in this vein.

Today on my political blog (only going to mention it, Mods so don't freak), Daily Kos, there were several great articles and discussion on SOPA and PIPA. They might be something even non-Dems might want to check out. I promise you, we will keep a watchful eye on this issue as I'm sure our colleagues on Conservative sites will do. After all, it would affect ALL of us. ph34r.gif

Exactly. ALL of us - forums, social networking sites, images. Everything. I'm scared for everyone.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 19 2012, 03:35 AM)
Exactly. ALL of us - forums, social networking sites, images. Everything. I'm scared for everyone.

Fear isn't the best state of mind - face yer fear, Babycat! We shall overcome!! It's a big, important thing, but there are powerful forces on our side, too. It's the MPAA and RIAA and related entertainment corporations vs. Google, Microsoft and other tech behemoths.

Google, in particular, will go to war over it if they have to (though they haven't said as such, it's only logical). Their entire business model is predicated on taking other people's copyrighted content and displaying it in their search results. I'd lay money on Google winning a fight against the entertainment industry any day.

The number of internet sites will be nil! It is almost impossible for an admin. to police this and almost EVERYTHING will be off limits.

Write to your representatives so this does NOT pass!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 19 2012, 10:28 AM)

Fear isn't the best state of mind - face yer fear, Babycat! We shall overcome!! It's a big, important thing, but there are powerful forces on our side, too. It's the MPAA and RIAA and related entertainment corporations vs. Google, Microsoft and other tech behemoths.

Google, in particular, will go to war over it if they have to (though they haven't said as such, it's only logical). Their entire business model is predicated on taking other people's copyrighted content and displaying it in their search results. I'd lay money on Google winning a fight against the entertainment industry any day.

goodpost.gif

I tend to be an optimist and if passed and SOPA turns out to be as bad as everyone says it is, it will be repealed. (IMO)

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 19 2012, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 19 2012, 09:17 AM)

No worries smile.gif

I saw this

nothing's official

So it's a 'wait and see' thing..?

To me it's more of a "This shit is ridiculous and we will not let it pass" kind of thing.

Also, I like my piracy. I want to keep that too along with my websites.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 19 2012, 11:08 AM)

goodpost.gif

I tend to be an optimist and if passed and SOPA turns out to be as bad as everyone says it is, it will be repealed. (IMO)

You mean...like Obama Care? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 19 2012, 01:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

doh.gif

Eventually... most of it hasn't even taken effect. sad.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 19 2012, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 19 2012, 01:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

doh.gif

Eventually... most of it hasn't even taken effect. sad.gif

By the time we feel the effects of Obama Care it will be way to late to repeal it. I am pretty sure it is that way by design.