Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 17 2012, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2012, 03:09 PM)
Rebel,

I wouldn't over explain it. Repetition simply becomes boring. Otherwise AC/DC is high art.

WYSIATI

how about BYOB or WYSIWYG?

In the grand scheme of things,

there is no grand scheme of things.

smile.gif

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 17 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 17 2012, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2012, 03:09 PM)
Rebel,

I wouldn't over explain it. Repetition simply becomes boring. Otherwise AC/DC is high art.

WYSIATI

how about BYOB or WYSIWYG?

In the grand scheme of things,

there is no grand scheme of things.

smile.gif

How about WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?)

Or TRFFCWCSNP? (The Rush Forum For Christians Who Can't Stand Neil Peart)

tongue.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 17 2012, 12:16 AM)
The Watchmaker analogy has been around a lot longer than Neil Peart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

And its also been very well destroyed as a theory by several evolutionary biologists. Intelligent Design isnt science, just religion in a not very convincing costume.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jan 17 2012, 11:44 PM)

And its also been very well destroyed as a theory by several evolutionary biologists. Intelligent Design isnt science, just religion in a not very convincing costume.

Ok I guess I'm not done with this thread after all because your post is friggin' hilarious. Evolutionary biologist? What is that? Is it a person who has spent way too much money getting a degree in big words and guessing?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Read the book The Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel or see the movie and then we can talk. Until then degrees in evolution don't mean a thing to a man of faith. Didn't you hear? Evolution is a THEORY.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 18 2012, 12:20 AM)

Ok I guess I'm not done with this thread after all because your post is friggin' hilarious. Evolutionary biologist? What is that? Is it a person who has spent way too much money getting a degree in big words and guessing?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Read the book The Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel or see the movie and then we can talk. Until then degrees in evolution don't mean a thing to a man of faith. Didn't you hear? Evolution is a THEORY.

this is a better critique than my previous post...

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 17 2012, 11:20 PM)
Didn't you hear? Evolution is a THEORY.

It's clear you don't understand what that means. Evolution is a theory just as Gravity is a theory.

Okay, okay.... the evolution argument is one for the SOCN wink.gif

Thank you, Dr. birdsong for your measured response. I cannot disagree with anything you wrote. smile.gif

Running Rebel... I love you! Too bad I'm already married and past child-bearing age or, man, we could have some smart kids! laugh.gif

Enemy Without; And I think I'm right tongue.gif

And yes, it is sad, driventotheedge. Very sad. As I learned about all the religions in this world, I came to realize that they are all "true" in that they help us to navigate our lives: they are true to us so that makes them true. Whether one believes in a deity (or deities) or not, a religious framework can help us find meaning. But one needn't have that to have morals, to know right from wrong, evil from good. We gain that from our humanity.

As a parting thought, I'd like to say that I was witness to a few of those "deliberate acts" by which Neil improved lives. I know that he is a good man. And that is more than can be said about some souls in this world, whether they believe in God or not. Blessed Be. heart.gif

HowItIs:

No wonder I've enjoyed your balanced and thoughtful responses in this thread. I see now that you're a fellow Washington resident!! We have mostly real quality people up in our part of the planet, don't we?

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 18 2012, 03:59 AM)
HowItIs:
No wonder I've enjoyed your balanced and thoughtful responses in this thread. I see now that you're a fellow Washington resident!! We have mostly real quality people up in our part of the planet, don't we?

Well, the ones not made of moss or coffee wink.gif

Psst.. is it snowing where you are?

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 18 2012, 07:04 AM)
Probably the most amazing thing is 17 pages on Neil in GenPop and it stayed civil. Maybe the times are a' changing. smile.gif

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/dlanodwhite7/monty%20python/god.gif

"Me willing."

tongue.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jan 18 2012, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 18 2012, 07:04 AM)
Probably the most amazing thing is 17 pages on Neil in GenPop and it stayed civil. Maybe the times are a' changing. smile.gif

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/dlanodwhite7/monty%20python/god.gif

"Me willing."

tongue.gif tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:54 AM)
Didn't you hear?  Evolution is a THEORY.

It's clear you don't understand what that means. Evolution is a theory just as Gravity is a theory.

Gravity is a force.

Saying "gravity is a theory" is somewhat vague and not very useful.

Sorry about the evolutionary side track. It does belong somewhere else for sure and is off topic. We will have to agree to disagree.

I'm still waiting to see how Neil Peart will be talked out of being an atheist in just an hour's time. That would make the last album or two by Rush a very interesting thing to see. Can you imagine Neil writing about his journey of faith? Then the other half of the fans would be pissed.

It did happen to Bob Dylan, but I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 17 2012, 10:54 PM)
Didn't you hear?  Evolution is a THEORY.

Actually Gravity is a law isn't it? Theories can become law but until they're proven beyond doubt they are are still theory. Evolution is a theory. There's lots of evidence to support it, but no one has ever witnessed a mud skipper turning into a lizard etc. So it's not directly observable. Sure we can witness the tools evolution might use to achieve speciation in a our life time, i.e. natural selection, but not actual evolution. The semantics of science theory and the lay term theory has always caused issues. They both basically mean, "I think this is what's happening here and I've done some tests that support the conclusion but I can't, as yet, prove it."

As a side note my faith remains strong even though I have a degree in Biological Anthropology because of what I've experienced. That, and there is no reasonable explanation for the big bang as of this writing. wink.gif

I wasn't brought up to believe. I was brought up to reason out what I believe by the evidence presented to me. Whatever form it takes.

OK that's my 2 cents. trink39.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 18 2012, 01:20 AM)

And where does the scientific method come in to test and question the theory of intelligent design? No where. It does not invite independent testing and verification because it cannot be tested.

However, the theory of evolution welcomes questioning and testing. The theory itself has evolved and changed as our scientific knowledge became greater and more accurate.

Religious beliefs never welcome questioning and testing, therefore, they cannot be considered a valid scientific theory.

One thing that does exist and that is the evolution of this thread. I have evidence to support it. In fact I'm writing about it now. But by the time it's posted, I won't be writing about it.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 18 2012, 01:10 PM)
Not to get bogged down in an evolution debate, but last week England removed funding to any school that doesn't teach evolution or teaches creationism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/j...ign?INTCMP=SRCH

That is because only extreme fringe people dissagree with evolution as fact.

that's totally fine by me. Creationism can be taught in church. It's written in the Bible and the info is free for whoever wants it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 18 2012, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 18 2012, 01:10 PM)
Not to get bogged down in an evolution debate, but last week England removed funding to any school that doesn't teach evolution or teaches creationism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/j...ign?INTCMP=SRCH

That is because only extreme fringe people dissagree with evolution as fact.

that's totally fine by me. Creationism can be taught in church. It's written in the Bible and the info is free for whoever wants it.

I agree.

The public shouldn't fund it is all I am saying. I mean you wouldn't want to fund a science class that claimed,

According to Viking mythology, eclipses occur when two wolves, Skoll and Hati, catch the sun or moon. At the onset of an eclipse people would make lots of noise, hoping to scare the wolves away.

But, if you want to go to church that teaches it, as fact, have at it.

(After some time, people must have noticed that the eclipses ended regardless of whether they ran around banging on pots.)

Edited by Running Rebel

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 18 2012, 04:07 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 18 2012, 03:59 AM)
HowItIs:

Well, the ones not made of moss or coffee wink.gif

Psst.. is it snowing where you are?

Snowed to beat the band while I was at work (in Portland) last night from like 9:00 until 1:00 AM then turned to rain. Just an ugly mess now.