Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

I wouldn't say that religious people don't know how to use their brains, but I WOULD say that a lot of religious people are hypersensitive and overly defensive about anything they perceive as criticism and that they take it specifically and personally regardless of whether or not it is actually specific and/or directed at them and their personal faith. I would also say that many of them seem to positively cherish their outrage at these perceived offences, and that this hypersensitivity and defensiveness tends to blind them to everything other than that beloved outrage.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 15 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 15 2012, 04:05 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 14 2012, 11:48 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 12 2012, 02:05 AM)
I really wish that the people who hate Neil and his beliefs - or lack thereof - would just ignore any thread mentioning his name. Really. It's so very tedious to read the same whining over and over again. The guy doesn't believe like you do: DEAL WITH IT and move on. /rant

That's not the issue...

Then, pray tell, what IS the issue? As I see it - and apparently I am not alone - there is a contingent here that always whines about whatever Neil has written lately. Doesn't matter whether it's a song or an article or a book.... You don't like the fact that he mentions anything negative about your religion. Well guess what? Your religion is ubiquitous. Non-Christians constantly have to hear about it, have it referred to and deal with it every. Single. Day. If Neil, like many of us who do not adhere to that faith, gets a little frustrated with that, you can either ignore it or make a big deal out of it. Too many here LOVE to make a big deal out of it. Because that makes you feel like you are the wronged party, instead of the rest of us who have to live around your religion.

I have mentioned before that as far as BU2B is concerned, it is part of a STORY. As such, to project your bias onto it is grossly unfair. Maybe the "Watchmaker" is not the being you assume it to be. Maybe he is the ruler of the society in the story. Or something else entirely. How the hell do you know? No, it's so much more comforting to make the assumption you have made. So you can be all outraged. Again. I re-iterate - get over it.

The thing is, that is still not the issue. Im a Christian. I would consider myself pretty strong in my belief. Sure, I like to hear things that reinforce that, but I cannot stand Christian rock bands. Do you know why? It is because they sing about the exact same things every song. When I listen to music, I want variety. I want it to make me think. That's what I love(d) about Rush. Every song was different. Every one was unique. Each lyrical composition took my mind in a new direction. But with S&A there were what, four, five, six songs bashing religion? Honestly, it's getting really old. You probably don't mind because it reinforces your belief, but if CA comes out and it is all anti-religion, I will be incredibly disappointed, and I can promise you I won't be the only one. It is clear Neil has run out of imaginative lyrics. He has gone from philosophical speculation to directly telling me I am wrong for believing what I do. How would you like it if Rush started writing pro-Christian anti-atheist lyrics? Would you not want to express your opinion on it? Would you not be disappointed with this sudden religious turn? Would you not be offended when people tell you "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it"?

And no, it is not unfair of me to assume that it will be about religion. It is not about my personal bias. It is an educated guess based on both their last album and what Neil has been writing about. But oh wait, I forgot, religious people don't know to use their brains.

guess if that were true Id hate all my old Kansas records...

laugh.gif

It's why I don't like Bob Dylan.

I really wish that the people who hate Neil and his beliefs - or lack thereof - would just ignore any thread mentioning his name. Really. It's so very tedious to read the same whining over and over again. The guy doesn't believe like you do: DEAL WITH IT and move on. /rant

That's not the issue...

Then, pray tell, what IS the issue? As I see it - and apparently I am not alone - there is a contingent here that always whines about whatever Neil has written lately. Doesn't matter whether it's a song or an article or a book.... You don't like the fact that he mentions anything negative about your religion. Well guess what? Your religion is ubiquitous. Non-Christians constantly have to hear about it, have it referred to and deal with it every. Single. Day. If Neil, like many of us who do not adhere to that faith, gets a little frustrated with that, you can either ignore it or make a big deal out of it. Too many here LOVE to make a big deal out of it. Because that makes you feel like you are the wronged party, instead of the rest of us who have to live around your religion.

I have mentioned before that as far as BU2B is concerned, it is part of a STORY. As such, to project your bias onto it is grossly unfair. Maybe the "Watchmaker" is not the being you assume it to be. Maybe he is the ruler of the society in the story. Or something else entirely. How the hell do you know? No, it's so much more comforting to make the assumption you have made. So you can be all outraged. Again. I re-iterate - get over it.

The thing is, that is still not the issue. Im a Christian. I would consider myself pretty strong in my belief. Sure, I like to hear things that reinforce that, but I cannot stand Christian rock bands. Do you know why? It is because they sing about the exact same things every song. When I listen to music, I want variety. I want it to make me think. That's what I love(d) about Rush. Every song was different. Every one was unique. Each lyrical composition took my mind in a new direction. But with S&A there were what, four, five, six songs bashing religion? Honestly, it's getting really old. You probably don't mind because it reinforces your belief, but if CA comes out and it is all anti-religion, I will be incredibly disappointed, and I can promise you I won't be the only one. It is clear Neil has run out of imaginative lyrics. He has gone from philosophical speculation to directly telling me I am wrong for believing what I do. How would you like it if Rush started writing pro-Christian anti-atheist lyrics? Would you not want to express your opinion on it? Would you not be disappointed with this sudden religious turn? Would you not be offended when people tell you "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it"?

Good post. Touching upon his beliefs in a song or two is one thing, but creating an entire symphony based on it will wear out everyone, eventually even the extremists.

I wonder when (if!) Neil will evolve out of this phase. I predict this tangent will end up embarrassing him in future times more-so than some of his earlier works have.

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 15 2012, 02:11 PM)
I wouldn't say that religious people don't know how to use their brains, but I WOULD say that a lot of religious people are hypersensitive and overly defensive about anything they perceive as criticism and that they take it specifically and personally regardless of whether or not it is actually specific and/or directed at them and their personal faith.  I would also say that many of them seem to positively cherish their outrage at these perceived offences, and that this hypersensitivity and defensiveness tends to blind them to everything other than that beloved outrage.

Definitely true with some folks I've met, over all kinds of issues and topics. Some have never bothered to probe their own beliefs and use aggression as a defense against having to think. A lot of times it's not that they can't think but would rather not bother. It's just easier.

The problem though is we can run into stereotyping people very easily without really knowing their particulars. That's one of the problems I'm having with Mr. Dawkins Peart is that he's stating his allegiance to reason but yet he paints his faithful adversaries with an awfully broad brush and veers into the same stereotyping, bigotry and prejudice he proclaims to be against.

I'd much rather he point out things we have in common rather than sneer at the ignorance of others that think differently than he does. That seems to me a more reasonable way to build bridges on the ocean floor and reaching for that alien shore...to quote someone.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 02:19 PM)

That's not the issue...

Good post. Touching upon his beliefs in a song or two is one thing, but creating an entire symphony based on it will wear out everyone, eventually even the extremists.

I wonder when (if!) Neil will evolve out of this phase. I predict this tangent will end up embarrassing him in future times more-so than some of his earlier works have.

funny use of the word evolve

I think at this point Neil's doing a combination of trolling the other side for the "lulz", while at the same time feeling he's doing his part for humanity by getting "dumb" Rush fans to think, and think specifically in his terms of black-and-white logic..

I can see him snickering behind his sticky, bourbon-scented keyboard (not literally, Neil! Lol)

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 03:44 PM)
I think at this point Neil's doing a combination of trolling the other side for the "lulz", while at the same time feeling he's doing his part for humanity by getting "dumb" Rush fans to think, and think specifically in his terms of black-and-white logic.
I can see him snickering behind his sticky, bourbon-scented keyboard (not literally, Neil! Lol)

yes thats his plan along, the observationist persona was a front so he could slyly turn the world against 2000 year old mythology

I haven't read the entire thread but can anyone remember offhand if theres any interviews anywhere where Neil talks about his religious beliefs? I know they appear obvious in his writings but im interested to hear him talk about it. Also if he's ever delved into quantum mechanics..

Even though I'm not a person of faith, I will readily admit that it is almost de jour to attack people of religious faith in this country nowadays. That being said, there is a school of thought that says they kind of deserve it. For most of the history of the United States, religious faith has been the leading school of thought that has pretty much run this country. Ridiculous ideas like slavery, prohibition, the subjigation of women, and on and on were justified under the guise of "it's what the Lord would want". Now that those of no faith are no longer afraid to voice their opinions, everyone is saying there's a war on Christianity. How often during the holiday season do you hear about the same old tired mantra about "the War On Christmas". I personally feel that the agnostics/athiests in this country are one of the largest more or less "silent majorities" out there. Do you remember the flak that Obama got when he mentioned "peoplee of no faith" in his inagural address? I thought that was a huge moment in American history. If we're really going to live in a plural society where all views have an equal footing and where everyone gets to have a voice in the direction the U.S. should take, then ALL voices should get air time. I for one would vote for an athiest if he or she ever ran for President if I thought they were qualified. Sadly, most would not vote for them solely because they did not believe in God, which I find ridiculous. I think Neil finds this reality frustrating, more so now that he's living more or less on a permanent basis in the U.S.

That's not the issue...

And no, it is not unfair of me to assume that it will be about religion. It is not about my personal bias. It is an educated guess based on both their last album and what Neil has been writing about. But oh wait, I forgot, religious people don't know to use their brains.

It's interesting that it bothers you so much but you don't really know how many songs on the album put down religion.

There are 13 tracks on S&A. I see three as being critical of religion: (1) Far Cry, (2) The Way the Wind Blows, and (3) Faithless. IMO, Armor and Sword is about religion but is somewhat neutral, discussing good and bad.

3 or 13 tracks is not a thematic domination. It is a definite minority. My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 02:19 PM)

That's not the issue...

Wow, where is this symphony. Would love to hear it.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 15 2012, 02:30 PM)

Hey, How It Is, as a Goddess worshiper did it ever occur to you that Neil Peart probably feels the same about your religion as mine?  Or maybe he is just mad at the white-bearded guy in the sky.  I don't feel like a victim and I'm not mad at NP at all.  I think there are three camps in this discussion.  One group agrees with Neil.  One group does not.  Then there is another group that just wishes he would either find another subject or at least quit being so boring and snarky about it.

God knows I have been guilty of what Neil is doing on the other side, but hey, don't blame Christ for Christians.

Yes, it has. And I don't care. I don't need the validation of someone I admire having to believe the same way as I do. I don't take anything he writes about as a criticism of me and/or my beliefs. I'm not that insecure.

I have enough real attacks to spend my energy on. wink.gif

And who said anything about CA being "an entire symphony" about religion? If anyone thinks that, then I would say that they don't use their brains. I suggest a Google search on "hero's journey" because I'm pretty sure that's what CA is going to be. But what do I know? - I'm just a comparative theologian and expert on ancient Mystery religions. eyesre4.gif

I maintain that Neil is not deliberately telling anyone that they are wrong for believing what they do. If that's the only thing anyone gets from a song - and it bothers them this much, I would advise some soul-searching because they obviously have doubts. And I would also advise that they stop looking for insult where it isn't intended. That really makes one look like they enjoy playing the victim.

How would you like it if Rush started writing pro-Christian anti-atheist lyrics? Would you not want to express your opinion on it? Would you not be disappointed with this sudden religious turn? Would you not be offended when people tell you "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it"?

I would feel that they were writing about something about which they felt strongly. If I did want to express my opinion on it I certainly would not do it at every possible opportunity. No, I would not be disappointed - I enjoy hearing other points of view. I wouldn't have a chance to be offended at people telling me, "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it" because I wouldn't be whining about it at every opportunity.

You say that what bothers you is that Neil "has run out of imaginative lyrics." Hey pot, kettle here. You and others who do this EVERY. TIME. have run out of imaginative posts. One more time, I say: MOVE ON

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 15 2012, 07:05 PM)

That's not the issue...

It's interesting that it bothers you so much but you don't really know how many songs on the album put down religion.

There are 13 tracks on S&A. I see three as being critical of religion: (1) Far Cry, (2) The Way the Wind Blows, and (3) Faithless. IMO, Armor and Sword is about religion but is somewhat neutral, discussing good and bad.

3 or 13 tracks is not a thematic domination. It is a definite minority. My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

I don't listen to the album because I have much better things to do. I do however enjoy the instrumentals, and even of those MalNar has a music video that is critical of religion as a whole.

My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

Well of course it would bother me, but if there were one track, would I be "whining" about it? No. Not until the point when it gets redundant and I get tired of being beaten over the head with his philosophy of "religion is wrong".

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 15 2012, 07:40 PM)
Just a friendly warning to keep things from getting too personal in here. Keep it about the lyrics and not about trumpeting your own religious beliefs or putting down the beliefs of others.

Funny, because that is exactly what Neil is doing. I don't understand why he thinks dividing his fan base is a good idea.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 08:43 PM)
Just a friendly warning to keep things from getting too personal in here. Keep it about the lyrics and not about trumpeting your own religious beliefs or putting down the beliefs of others.

Funny, because that is exactly what Neil is doing. I don't understand why he thinks dividing his fan base is a good idea.

Lmao

And if Neil were a member of this board, I'd tell him what I just told everyone else here. wink.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 08:41 PM)

That's not the issue...

I don't listen to the album because I have much better things to do. I do however enjoy the instrumentals, and even of those MalNar has a music video that is critical of religion as a whole.

Well of course it would bother me, but if there were one track, would I be "whining" about it? No. Not until the point when it gets redundant and I get tired of being beaten over the head with his philosophy of "religion is wrong".

A couple points.

MalNar is obviously an instrumental. The video was created by a fan. Rush had nothing to do with its production. The band has adopted because they like it.

Far Cry, The Way the Wind Blows, and Faithless are only redundant in the broadest possible thematic sense. They deal with different perspectives and points-of-view.

You don't listen to S&A for the same reason that I don't listen to sermons. The difference is that I don't bitch and moan about a Preacher's message.

Edited by Finding IT

Perhaps because he is writing from the heart?

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 15 2012, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 08:41 PM)

That's not the issue...

A couple points.

MalNar is obviously an instrumental. The video was created by a fan. Rush had nothing to do with its production. The band has adopted because they like it.

Far Cry, The Way the Wind Blows, and Faithless are only redundant in the broadest possible thematic sense. They deal with different perspectives and points-of-view.

You don't listen to S&A for the same reason that I don't listen to sermons. The difference is that I don't bitch and moan about a Preacher's message.

That's not the only difference. I've said this before. The preacher already has an established fan base. They listen to him because they expect to hear a certain thing. With Rush, I expect Neil to create powerful, thought-provoking lyrics like he used to. When he doesn't do that and spoon feeds us by beating us over the head with his point of view. Something is expected of the preacher, and he delivers. Something is expected of Neil, and he doesn't. It's all about expectations.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 16 2012, 02:06 AM)

And if Neil were a member of this board, I'd tell him what I just told everyone else here. wink.gif

Don't start a frenzy of speculation Mr 73....