Van Halen single "TATTOO" - reaction thread

I'll admit, didn't like it much at first, but its catchy after you hear it a few times. Sometimes I need to remind myself what Van Halen is when I'm over judging a song. They have always produced these types of songs and I've always managed to crank them up and enjoy them for what they are.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 12 2012, 08:08 AM)
I'll admit, didn't like it much at first, but its catchy after you hear it a few times. Sometimes I need to remind myself what Van Halen is when I'm over judging a song. They have always produced these types of songs and I've always managed to crank them up and enjoy them for what they are.

I think you're absolutely right. They're a party band. Nothing TOO deep...and with a guitar wizard...but it's still just whimsical fun. If you're not in that mindset, it doesn't work, even their best material. But VH usually puts me in a good mood.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 12 2012, 09:09 AM)

I think you're absolutely right. They're a party band. Nothing TOO deep...and with a guitar wizard...but it's still just whimsical fun. If you're not in that mindset, it doesn't work, even their best material. But VH usually puts me in a good mood.

That is why I don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this. Rocket Science it never was

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jan 11 2012, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 11 2012, 09:20 PM)
So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour.  I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old.  It was out of this world.

Anyway I was emailing the buyer and I asked him if he was excited about the new VH record.

He said "absolutely!"  He then told me a cool story.  He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother.  He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

You sure? Mike's surname is Sobolewski.

Anyway......Eddie's tone sounds awesome. The more I listen to the new tune, the more I like it!

I can see Ed going into Cathedral after Tattoo in concert.

In high school, I was in a play with DLR's sister, Allison.

My brush with fame....

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2012, 09:58 AM)

That is why I don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this. Rocket Science it never was

It's like people ragging on Kiss. biggrin.gif Either you get it or your head is elsewhere, which is fine...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2012, 10:58 AM)

Its cause its the internet, where all the cool kids hang out. cool.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 12 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 12 2012, 11:06 AM)
it just sounds so dated.

Uh - cuz it is - it was written in the 70's biggrin.gif

Yeah, that might have something to do with it. Wait til Bullethead. You'll swear it was 1977 all over again!. wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2012, 07:58 AM)

^^^+++ AMEN TO THAT METALDAD!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour. I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old. It was out of this world.

Anyway I was emailing the buyer and I asked him if he was excited about the new VH record.

He said "absolutely!" He then told me a cool story. He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother. He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

Ya know,everyone rags on Eddie for being an asshole, but I met him at a party back in the day and I talked with him and Alex for quite a while and they are really decent guys! confused13.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jan 12 2012, 12:12 PM)
So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour.  I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old.  It was out of this world.

He said "absolutely!"  He then told me a cool story.  He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother.  He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

Ya know,everyone rags on Eddie for being an asshole, but I met him at a party back in the day and I talked with him and Alex for quite a while and they are really decent guys! confused13.gif

I met Eddie in 1999 , such a nice and very down to earth guy . I laugh when people call him an Asshole or say he is a Shitty person, not one of these people that say this have Ever met him

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 12 2012, 12:19 PM)
Meeting him might be different than working with/for him/shared a business or creative space with him. Probably depends on his mood that day, etc. Of course, to whom does this not apply?

This is what people Don't understand for some strange reason . How do you call someone an Asshole or a Jerk without ever meeting them ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2012, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 12 2012, 12:19 PM)
Meeting him might be different than working with/for him/shared a business or creative space with him.  Probably depends on his mood that day, etc.  Of course, to whom does this not apply?

This is what people Don't understand for some strange reason . How do you call someone an Asshole or a Jerk without ever meeting them ?

Does reading a ton of posts by a certain person qualify as "meeting them"? Cuz.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jan 11 2012, 07:47 PM)
I just listened to it for the first time. I like it. It's got a cool hook and I like the way it grooves. Wolfie sounds really good on bass, so no complaints there. Catchy lyrics, too. No, it doesn't sound like Fair Warning-era VH, but there's still a whole album's worth of material that we haven't heard yet.

Not understanding the hate and I do realize that musical tastes vary wildly and are subjective.

I'm on board. Can't wait to buy this album and crank the f**k out of it!!!

1022.gif

Well...some people actually think "Mousewife to momshell" etc. are great lyrics. So, there's no accounting for taste tongue.gif

I think it's OK but I was actually expecting better. Kinda bummed it didn't do it for me.

Although, I heard it on Sirius the other day (without watching the horrid video) and I liked it a tad more than the video clip.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 12 2012, 02:07 PM)
I've still yet to watch the video. I'm focused on the music. biggrin.gif

Not missing anything . The Jump vid cost like $600 and it is more fun to watch than this