Hunger Games

workingcinderellaman

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 15 2011, 05:05 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9a5V9ODuY

I just read this book. My daughter has wanted me to read it for a while now and I decided I better do it before the movie comes out. I'm always disappointed though when I see the movie adaptation after I've read the book. I hope I'm not with this one.

I know what you mean about reading the book BEFORE the movie. I always try to see a movie first if both are available and I am interested in them. The reason being, I can enjoy the movie on it's own merits. Granted you end up knowing some key stuff when you read the book, but so many times a book and the movie are so different and generally the books are always better than the movies since they have to leave out so much and change alot of the plot to fit into a 2 hour movie.

For example, I read the Bourne Identity AFTER I saw the movie and I am so glad I did. Because I enjoyed the movie when I saw it, but if I would have read the book first, I might have been disappointed in the movie since there were so many differences. Doesn't always work out that way, but that is how I try to go about it if both a book and movie are out and I haven't seen or read them.

I haven't read The Hunger Games, but so many people are giving it good reviews, I may have to check it out...AFTER I watch the movie! laugh.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 22 2012, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 15 2011, 05:05 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9a5V9ODuY

I just read this book. My daughter has wanted me to read it for a while now and I decided I better do it before the movie comes out. I'm always disappointed though when I see the movie adaptation after I've read the book. I hope I'm not with this one.

I know what you mean about reading the book BEFORE the movie. I always try to see a movie first if both are available and I am interested in them. The reason being, I can enjoy the movie on it's own merits. Granted you end up knowing some key stuff when you read the book, but so many times a book and the movie are so different and generally the books are always better than the movies since they have to leave out so much and change alot of the plot to fit into a 2 hour movie.

For example, I read the Bourne Identity AFTER I saw the movie and I am so glad I did. Because I enjoyed the movie when I saw it, but if I would have read the book first, I might have been disappointed in the movie since there were so many differences. Doesn't always work out that way, but that is how I try to go about it if both a book and movie are out and I haven't seen or read them.

I haven't read The Hunger Games, but so many people are giving it good reviews, I may have to check it out...AFTER I watch the movie! laugh.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

That's exactly what I think! It's much harder to spoil a good book than it is a movie.

It's a well-done film. If a few iffy moments and some slightly irritating ones, but damn it's good compared to a bunch of the filth out there today. Cough twilight cough. Which the trailer for absolutely sucks. Really, she's gonna kill a deer?

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Working at a bookstore I had the privilege to read THG before anyone biggrin.gif the book IS better but that is almost a given.

It's not my kind of movie, but one reviewer here in Boston said that where "Twilight" was more appealing to women, Hunger Games will appeal to men because of the main character. Apparently, she's quite sexy with that bow and arrow.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 23 2012, 07:52 AM)
It's not my kind of movie, but one reviewer here in Boston said that where "Twilight" was more appealing to women, Hunger Games will appeal to men because of the main character. Apparently, she's quite sexy with that bow and arrow.

...but isn't she like, 13 or something?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 10:30 AM)

I don't know. He could have been talking about teen boys vs teen girls. The genre seems targeted towards that age group.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 23 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 10:30 AM)

I don't know. He could have been talking about teen boys vs teen girls. The genre seems targeted towards that age group.

Granted - but regardless of the age of the intended audience, I don't think sexy is a word anyone should be comfortable with if the girl is in her early teens.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 09:30 AM)

No. The actress (Jennifer Lawrence) is the one who played Mystique in X-men First Class.

http://www.9ori.com/en/media/images/d90a1b0a26.jpg

The reason the critic said that is because the character Katniss is a tough tom-boy.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 23 2012, 10:27 AM)

No. The actress (Jennifer Lawrence) is the one who played Mystique in X-men First Class.

The reason the critic said that is because the character Katniss is a tough tom-boy.

I was wondering why this movie is compared to the Twilight series at all. It's really nothing like it, except for the triangle relationship the main character has and that's a sub-plot. I would classify it as a political action-drama flick. Twilight is nothing but a bad teen romance movie. (I never read the books.)

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 23 2012, 09:27 AM)

Cool, thanks for the info smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 23 2012, 09:27 AM)

Cool, thanks for the info smile.gif

I find it interesting that this woman's photo is continually being "quoted". tongue.gif

ohmy.gif

YES!

I have no interest in this series whatsoever. Seems like a bunch of BS.

I hate the distopic apocalyptic storyline. I also hate the character names.

I just find this whole thing so stupid. Isn't it just a ripoff of Stephen King's book The Running Man?

Next.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 23 2012, 08:22 AM)
It's a well-done film. If a few iffy moments and some slightly irritating ones, but damn it's good compared to a bunch of the filth out there today. Cough twilight cough. Which the trailer for absolutely sucks. Really, she's gonna kill a deer?

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Working at a bookstore I had the privilege to read THG before anyone biggrin.gif the book IS better but that is almost a given.

I saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was a lot better than it could have been. The only part that ruined it for me were those computer generated CGI dogs. The gamemakers changing stuff around to cheat (like burning the forest down and stuff) pissed me off too. Isn't the Hunger Games hard enough without having to cheat on top of it?

Oh and about that Twilight trailer- and I know as a person with danglies I shouldn't know about this sorta' stuff- Bella's going to kill the deer because that's what vampires do when they don't want to eat people, but it's weird they'd show that for a 10 second trailer or whatever it was. Blame my girlfriend for me knowing about this stuff laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 24 2012, 12:20 PM)
While a minor quibble, I have to say the character's names are terrible. All of them sound like "your fantasy name" generator outputs. Catniss Everdeen? Peeta Mellark? Haymitch Abernathy?

Yikes!

I gotta' agree. Sometimes when the author goes too far out of the way to come up with abnormal-sounding names you get generically stupid ones instead.

It's set in the future on EARTH, not another planet. By God, call them Catherine, Peter, and Bob next time.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 26 2012, 08:04 AM)
While a minor quibble, I have to say the character's names are terrible.  All of them sound like "your fantasy name" generator outputs.  Catniss Everdeen? Peeta Mellark? Haymitch Abernathy?

Yikes!

I gotta' agree. Sometimes when the author goes too far out of the way to come up with abnormal-sounding names you get generically stupid ones instead.

It's set in the future on EARTH, not another planet. By God, call them Catherine, Peter, and Bob next time.

And everyone in the Capitol has Roman names. Cinna, Octavia, and even Pres. Snow's first name is Coriolanus. Of course the reason for that literary trick is pretty obvious.

For those who've seen it, how is Woody Harrelson as Haymitch? I can't think of any more perfect casting.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 26 2012, 07:04 AM)
While a minor quibble, I have to say the character's names are terrible.  All of them sound like "your fantasy name" generator outputs.  Catniss Everdeen? Peeta Mellark? Haymitch Abernathy?

Yikes!

To be fair, Katniss' dad named her after the Katniss plant.

But I agree with Peeta, and a few of the other names lol

QUOTE (Boots @ Mar 24 2012, 03:51 PM)
I just find this whole thing so stupid. Isn't it just a ripoff of Stephen King's book The Running Man?
Next.

So you came to the conclusion that it is stupid based on the minor things you have heard and have seen through hype?

QUOTE (Boots @ Mar 24 2012, 03:51 PM)
Next.

No, it's more like Gladiator crossed with lord of the flies.

It's definately worth reading. Very well written, great storyline, and well developed characters.

I'd at least read the first one before judging the series so harshly.