The Best Britney Spears Songs of All Time

ReRushed

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 13 2011, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:01 AM)
yeah, i didn't know this thread was titled "if you hate Britney Spears post here".

look, a lot of people enjoy her music. yes, we know it's dumb pop. yes, we know she isn't the greatest singer in the world. but hey, we like it. i don't see anything wrong with that. so what's the problem? i'd say some people are WAY less talented than she is, who are even more popular than her! ::ahem:: Kurt Cobain...

just sayin'...

You didn't *really* think that a thread extolling the virtues of Britney Fking Spears would fly in *this* forum, did you?

And about the "hate" thing? You and the Britney Squad need to understand that there's a big difference between having a negative opinion of someone and hating someone. It's the difference between feeling and thinking. I don't like her music, I think she's shallow, vapid and bad for society. But I don't hate her. To hate her would mean that I feel something about her. I don't. I *think* that she's a bad person who should be pitied, not celebrated. That's an opinion, not hatred.

Excuse me, "Britney squad"?

As opposed to what, "Chris Squire absolutely-not-gay semanthics-fixated nerd defenders"?

How come everyone is dissecting on the meaning of "hate" now, when so far it has been so easy for all to pour it down?

Every time someone posts something about a pop female artist, is always the same. Be it Britney, Madonna, Perry, whatever.

Just bringing some levity to the matter, guys. In your old age, you will begin to understand good pop music, regardless.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 13 2011, 11:26 AM)
yeah, i didn't know this thread was titled "if you hate Britney Spears post here".

look, a lot of people enjoy her music. yes, we know it's dumb pop. yes, we know she isn't the greatest singer in the world. but hey, we like it. i don't see anything wrong with that. so what's the problem? i'd say some people are WAY less talented than she is, who are even more popular than her! ::ahem:: Kurt Cobain...

just sayin'...

You didn't *really* think that a thread extolling the virtues of Britney Fking Spears would fly in *this* forum, did you?

And about the "hate" thing? You and the Britney Squad need to understand that there's a big difference between having a negative opinion of someone and hating someone. It's the difference between feeling and thinking. I don't like her music, I think she's shallow, vapid and bad for society. But I don't hate her. To hate her would mean that I feel something about her. I don't. I *think* that she's a bad person who should be pitied, not celebrated. That's an opinion, not hatred.

As opposed to what, "Chris Squire absolutely-not-gay semanthics-fixated nerd defenders"?

How come everyone is dissecting on the meaning of "hate" now, when so far it has been so easy for all to pour it down?

Every time someone posts something about a pop female artist, is always the same. Be it Britney, Madonna, Perry, whatever.

Just bringing some levity to the matter, guys. In your old age, you will begin to understand good pop music, regardless.

You're taking this awfully personally.

For the record, two things.

First, bullshit on the "all female pop artists get this treatment" statement. It's patently false. There are those that have nothing of value to contribute to the world, like Britney Spears, and there are those that actually have talent, like Madonna. I may not like her music, but I respect Madonna.

Second, I'm 36. Hardly old age. Anyone who grew up in the 80's is *very* well versed in the ways of pop music because we've had it shoved down our throats since we were kids. And kids in the 90's didn't have it much better. So, no, I won't grow up to appreciate good pop music because I've been hearing it long enough to know the good from the bad.

And Britney Spears is *bad*.

I like Britney, always have. When someone sells upwards of 100 Million records you cannot dismiss her as a valid artist.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 13 2011, 01:26 PM)

just sayin'...

Like Taylor Swift, who actually has tons of talent? <--seriously

I would not throw her out of bed, that's for sure.

Just another teen idol whose made WAY to much money singing out of her nose.

I believe I knew 2 songs on that list.

She was cute in the beginning, just like those Gremlins,

and then - she ate and someone threw water on her and now its

all this nonsense.

What bothers me most is my niece who is 6 adores both Britney and Miley. Miley still has a chance. Britney has left the building... unsure.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 13 2011, 12:26 PM)
In your old age, you will begin to understand good pop music, regardless.

That is Ridiculous

You're taking this awfully personally.

Far from that, my friend. I might have made my last post a little more spicy than usual, but it's all for the sake of exchanging points of view and have a little fun.

First, bullshit on the "all female pop artists get this treatment" statement. It's patently false. There are those that have nothing of value to contribute to the world, like Britney Spears, and there are those that actually have talent, like Madonna. I may not like her music, but I respect Madonna.

True, false, we're still there?

I fail to see how your distinction between Brit and Madonna adds to your point.

There are and have been dozens of threads here that prove otherwise from your "patently false". Heck, even a thread about how Katie Perry's band includes a bit from Hemispheres was flooded with talentless this and unworthy that and so on. I have nothing against la Perry, nor am I a fan, but I seem to miss the fun in all this meaningless dissing.

Second, I'm 36. Hardly old age. Anyone who grew up in the 80's is *very* well versed in the ways of pop music because we've had it shoved down our throats since we were kids. And kids in the 90's didn't have it much better. So, no, I won't grow up to appreciate good pop music because I've been hearing it long enough to know the good from the bad.

See, the fact that you feel the need to use the term "shoved" seems to suggest that there is some resentment towards pop music in the 80s. Was it bad? God, yes. And you missed all the italian pop crap, you lucky you. I think only indian pop music could be even more saccarine-overdosed. Was it good? Most certainly there is a lot of goodness for those willing to search down memory lane.

It made you capable of knowing the good from the bad? I'm sincerely happy for you. It has made me too. That's why I can appreciate a song like Toxic.

Mind you, I never said I'm a fan of Brit or something. This polarization "if you don't hate you support her" is missing the grey zone. We were talking about the songs, and Toxic is a pretty good song. This is what I said and I'll say it again. The Matrix who wrote it surely know how to write a good song. They could teach a lot of fast-fingered, 7/11 thumping fellas.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 13 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 13 2011, 10:44 PM)

That is Ridiculous

Worked for me. smile.gif

Sorry to hear that laugh.gif Pop never was my thing, Styx and Journey are about as Pop as i get at my age old.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 13 2011, 01:34 PM)
I like Britney, always have. When someone sells upwards of 100 Million records you cannot dismiss her as a valid artist.

That shows how even without talent, if you over-sell yourself enough, use ridiculous outfits all the time and marry some clown, you can be successful in this culture.

it's hilarious that a poll like this exists. i don't care if someone likes her music or not but it seems pretty disposable and meant for temporary enjoyment. I didn;t get the impression that her or her fans thought it was designed to last.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 12 2011, 09:22 PM)
so glad Toxic was #1. also glad to see Stronger in there. one of my favorites smile.gif

^ it's all about Cathy Dennis for me (the songwriter)

her best work?

'Toxic' (Spears), 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' (Kylie Minogue) and 'Come Into My World' (Kylie again)

I wouldn't have much interest in Britney or Kylie otherwise

Britney Spears was pretty much my idol when I was... pretty little.

Then I discovered musicals and more or less stopped following her work. tongue.gif

Yeah... Britney lost out to Andrew Lloyd Webber and everyone he worked with. But the phase was fine while it lasted.

Toxic is a decent choice for numero uno. I was never much a fan of the music vid, though!

let's just end it like this..

everyone has their personal taste in music. obviously a lot of people enjoy her and her music, including people who enjoy "real" music, such as, why we're all here, Rush. i mean, i probably have one of the most random iPods you'll ever see. Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Megadeth, Shakira, Nicki Minaj, Dolly Parton... i could go on. so, it's not like this type of thread shouldn't even have been posted on this forum.

The purpose of the thread(I'm assuming) was for people who enjoy her, to come in and discuss and show some love for our favorite Britney tunes. i don't see why anyone would find it necessary to come in, call her "horrible" or "waste of time" or "ass clown" or anything of that nature. don't like her? then DON'T READ THE THREAD. if i see a thread about a band i don't like, guess what, i don't read it! makes sense to me...

doesn't it piss you off when people talk sh!t about Rush? you guys are doing the exact same thing to people who enjoy Britney, or any pop, for that matter. just a comparison you might not have considered.

the point is... it's really not that important. why do we have to argue over it? you like her? awesome. you don't? that's cool too. i just find it really unnecessary for all the trash talking and fighting. seriously, let it go.

To be honest, I started this thread as a response to all the Rolling Stone magazine bashing that goes on. That's all, it was pretty much a joke. I'm amazed at the direction the thread took, I thought it would get several responses and fade away. Who knew!

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 13 2011, 10:46 PM)
yeah your original post doesn't make it seem like it was supposed to be a joke. so that's probably why a lot of people took it seriously.

but i do enjoy her, so i was happy to read laugh.gif

wub.gif I thought the wub smilies would've made the tone clear! wub.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 14 2011, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 13 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 13 2011, 10:44 PM)

That is Ridiculous

Worked for me. smile.gif

Sorry to hear that laugh.gif Pop never was my thing, Styx and Journey are about as Pop as i get at my age old.gif

That's because you're TOO old! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Funnily enough, for me it's the other way round: I could never get into AOR, it sounds like metal-lite to me. Either it's the true heavy thing or something else completely different, even The B52's or Adele. (No, I don't like Adele, let's not start another one...). biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 14 2011, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 12 2011, 09:22 PM)
so glad Toxic was #1. also glad to see Stronger in there. one of my favorites smile.gif

^ it's all about Cathy Dennis for me (the songwriter)

her best work?

'Toxic' (Spears), 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' (Kylie Minogue) and 'Come Into My World' (Kylie again)

I wouldn't have much interest in Britney or Kylie otherwise

Yes, a very talented lady. And she lived in the realms of hotness, if I remember correctly, during her short lived pop career. Yes, very hot indeed.

Can't Get You Out Of My Head is gold. And a total earworm.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 13 2011, 10:27 PM)
To be honest, I started this thread as a response to all the Rolling Stone magazine bashing that goes on. That's all, it was pretty much a joke. I'm amazed at the direction the thread took, I thought it would get several responses and fade away. Who knew!

I thought your post was for real as well. I know how much you love Pop music. confused13.gif