People who flat out drive like shit!

Tom Sawyer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Nov 17 2011, 04:43 PM)
The problem is that its pathetically easy to get a license and you don't ever need to qualify for it again. In maryland the drivers test is given in like 20 languages. What languages are our road signs?????? wacko.gif

I completely agree with you, those tests are half assed, they don't measure driving aptitude. What's observing 30 minutes of driving on the road AT MOST going to tell you about a lifetime of possible situations?

QUOTE (Litehawk @ Nov 17 2011, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Nov 17 2011, 04:43 PM)
The problem is that its pathetically easy to get a license and you don't ever need to qualify for it again.  In maryland the drivers test is given in like 20 languages.  What languages are our road signs??????  wacko.gif

I completely agree with you, those tests are half assed, they don't measure driving aptitude. What's observing 30 minutes of driving on the road AT MOST going to tell you about a lifetime of possible situations?

Couldn't agree more. I've long hoped that they'd wise up and require road tests every 5 or 10 years and written tests every 2 or 3. Driver education is treated as an afterthought and we wonder why there are so many accidents every year wacko.gif

QUOTE (Litehawk @ Nov 17 2011, 05:11 PM)
I meant like chronic incidents. If you constantly run stop signs or red lights, you're a liability. If you're just being a defensive driver or like what you said, driving your wife who's in labor to the hospital, it's not chronic (I'd hope not)

I'd still argue that not all incidents of running a red light or a stop sign are dangerous situations and warranting a citation from the robot that's been assigned to monitor you. I get where you're coming from, but I think that just because something is a law, doesn't mean someone should always be fined for breaking it. Cops have leeway to let someone off with a warning. A black box or monitor would have no such discretion.

And I'm still leery of of the 'what if I'm not driving' scenario. My car gets tagged, I get hit with the fine, not whoever was driving.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 17 2011, 08:02 PM)
And I'm still leery of of the 'what if I'm not driving' scenario. My car gets tagged, I get hit with the fine, not whoever was driving.

first of all, let me say i disagree with the whole "black box" monitoring idea on principle. i think it's invasive, unnecessary and not at all constructive.

fines and punishments should go to the owner of the car, regardless? What about single-car families? 2, 3, maybe even 4 or more people could be sharing a single car -- and it's fair for one person to be blamed for mistakes that ANY of them make? what about couples that share a car? siblings? parents/children? there are a ton of valid scenarios, not just someone lending their car to a friend, and not to take into account who the driver is makes it a broken system.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 15 2011, 04:46 PM)
Shouldn't this thread be called "Women"?

Sonny, you're asking for it! angry.gif laugh.gif

I learned to drive in Nevada and California. When we moved up here to Washington, the first thing I noticed about drivers here is that they have NO IDEA how to merge properly. No matter if they are already on the freeway or coming onto it, they don't know how to deal with it.

And I hate tailgaters. HATE them. I'm not a slow driver - usually 5-10 over depending on where I'm at - but there is inevitably some a$$hole who thinks s/he is so much more important than anyone else and they must get to where they are going NOW! These are the morons who didn't learn any physics and the equation E=MC2 means nothing to them. eyesre4.gif

Edited by HowItIs

I schooled a tailgater this morning on the way to work. White Nissan, flying in and out of the lanes. When she got behind me, I slowed just enough to stay even with the car to my right, preventing her from passing. So she got millimeters from my rear bumper and started flashing her lights.

I tapped the brakes lightly a couple of times to warn her to "Back off!" She didn't take the hint, so I braked harder. (I'd like a new car anyway to replace the 10 year old Camry, as good as it's been to me, and if she'd hit me - her fault). I heard her brakes screech as she stomped on them to avoid hitting me and saw her waving furiously and mouthing some not-nice things; she did, however, increase her following distance to about a foot. eyesre4.gif

Oh, and we were traveling about 5-7 miles above the speed limit, so it's not like I was poking along getting in everyone's way. I kept her pinned behind me until I had to make my turnoff to get to the interstate. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 18 2011, 08:18 AM)
I schooled a tailgater this morning on the way to work. White Nissan, flying in and out of the lanes. When she got behind me, I slowed just enough to stay even with the car to my right, preventing her from passing. So she got millimeters from my rear bumper and started flashing her lights.

I tapped the brakes lightly a couple of times to warn her to "Back off!" She didn't take the hint, so I braked harder. (I'd like a new car anyway to replace the 10 year old Camry, as good as it's been to me, and if she'd hit me - her fault). I heard her brakes screech as she stomped on them to avoid hitting me and saw her waving furiously and mouthing some not-nice things; she did, however, increase her following distance to about a foot. eyesre4.gif

Oh, and we were traveling about 5-7 miles above the speed limit, so it's not like I was poking along getting in everyone's way. I kept her pinned behind me until I had to make my turnoff to get to the interstate. biggrin.gif

I've done that. Actually, probably once of month that happens, maybe a little more. But I always look at the driver before doing that. Call it profiling or whatever, but this is Texas. Depending on the look of the driver, I might just go out of my way to get out of his way.

When I moved down here as a teenager, my friends up north asked me if I was going to start riding a horse to school. I said no, not everyone in Texas owns a horse. But apparently, everyone *does* own a gun.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 18 2011, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 18 2011, 08:18 AM)
I schooled a tailgater this morning on the way to work.  White Nissan, flying in and out of the lanes.  When she got behind me, I slowed just enough to stay even with the car to my right, preventing her from passing.  So she got millimeters from my rear bumper and started flashing her lights. 

I tapped the brakes lightly a couple of times to warn her to "Back off!"  She didn't take the hint, so I braked harder.  (I'd like a new car anyway to replace the 10 year old Camry, as good as it's been to me, and if she'd hit me - her fault).  I heard her brakes screech as she stomped on them to avoid hitting me and saw her waving furiously and mouthing some not-nice things; she did, however, increase her following distance to about a foot.  eyesre4.gif

Oh, and we were traveling about 5-7 miles above the speed limit, so it's not like I was poking along getting in everyone's way.  I kept her pinned behind me until I had to make my turnoff to get to the interstate.  biggrin.gif

I've done that. Actually, probably once of month that happens, maybe a little more. But I always look at the driver before doing that. Call it profiling or whatever, but this is Texas. Depending on the look of the driver, I might just go out of my way to get out of his way.

When I moved down here as a teenager, my friends up north asked me if I was going to start riding a horse to school. I said no, not everyone in Texas owns a horse. But apparently, everyone *does* own a gun.

Just fire back then.

Based on your post, you obviously own a gun since you live in Texas.

I hate when people don't seem to look out for, or notice, speed limit signs.

There's a stretch of road here that is notorious for slow drivers and I never get it! The speed limit is 55mph but some people drive 35-40mph. I've even honked when nearing a speed limit sign in hopes that they'll figure it out. I never pass them but there are stretches of road where it is legal to pass but even when cars are pulling around them, they still keep puttering under the limit.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 18 2011, 09:18 AM)

:high five:

Back on topic...

One thing that gets me is while in traffic - that one guy that constantly changes lanes, speeds up, and then tries to jump in front of you. In most traffic situations, there is not a car length between me and the car in front. If I'm going slow, everyone in front of me is going slow and I'm not about to let some impatient asshole jump in front of me.

I also love when people in fancy cars put on their blinker and just start coming over in traffic. I always imagine them thinking "I'm in a Benz, nobody is going to take the chance of hitting me" Bullshit! If I'm in my lane, I do not have to slow down to let you in, and you merging into me = $$ for me!

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 18 2011, 07:18 AM)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/excellent.jpg

One thing that gets me is while in traffic - that one guy that constantly changes lanes, speeds up, and then tries to jump in front of you. In most traffic situations, there is not a car length between me and the car in front. If I'm going slow, everyone in front of me is going slow and I'm not about to let some impatient asshole jump in front of me.

LiX, I'm right there with ya. Near my house there is a spot where the 4 lane freeway squeezes the Southbound lane down to one (yeah, that's a topic unto itself - idiotic freeway design). The signs to merge begin 2 miles before it. But there are always jacka$$es who drive in the other lane right up to the point where they MUST merge and then signal like, "Oh gosh, I need in now." Many are in expensive cars (another topic - why do these MFers think that the rules of the road don't apply to them?). Drives me crazy!

Cyclists are pretty much the biggest annoying on the road. It's not that they don't have the right to be there, they're just annoying.

One particular example: the biggest thing i see absolutely every cyclist doing is pretending they are above the law. This includes running every stop sign and red light in existence. You're on the road? You follow the laws too. I once got cut off by a biker running a two-way stop where he had to stop and i didn't. I hit the brakes to stop his retardedness from hitting my beautiful car, and HE flipped me off....

I see lots of cyclists blow through stop signs and red lights.

If there's a stop sign and no crossing traffic (I ride mainly on back roads with very few cars) I'll slow to 2-3 MPH and then go.

If there's a red light I'll stop no matter what. If my bike doesn't have enough metal to trip the light green, I'll run it if I've waited 30-60 seconds and there's no crossing traffic.

Scarily enough, we have some BUS DRIVERS around here who flat out drive like shit.

One tries every single morning to cut in front of everyone making a left turn. It's a short light, a long line, and people like to try to fly up and cut in at the last minute, including this particular bus driver on this particular route. No way, asshole; you don't get special privileges to cut into traffic just because you work for the county. Nobody likes getting cut off by anyone, but they ESPECIALLY don't like to be cut off by you, because then they're stuck behind your bus-ass as it stops every 20 feet.

Years ago I was out on an early morning run and came to a crosswalk just as a cheesebox (school bus) approached. The school bus driver waved me through, and then ACCELERATED across the intersection! The mirror clipped me behind the ear, it was that close.

Today I was at a junction which has fairly poor visibility waiting to turn right. There was a space in the traffic but the car approaching from the left (bearing in mind I am in the UK, so I was turning onto his side of the road) wasn't properly in his lane so I decided that I'd let him pass and then turn in so that I was following him, rather than having him hard up behind me. It was only a 5 or so second extra wait to turn. There was plenty of time, I could have gone, but made a decision not to.

As soon as 1 or 2 seconds pass that no cars have crossed infront of me, the car waiting behind me holds on his horn - bearing in mind that he cannot see what traffic is coming at all.