The Who - Who's Next? Who care? It rocks!

treeduck

What do you think?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Who's Next? The Who at their heavy metal best!
    • No I'm not with you treeduck I'm against you, I'm a TRF terrorist
    • I dig Quadrophenia better, I'm a skidmarks in the underpants expert
    • All I care about is cheerleader flesh at this time of year
    • I want to be a cheerleader and I'm male!
    • I only want to listen to bands on the right side of 40
    • Is this an album by Nickelback?
    • I like Tommy, I like to fiddle about
    • I don't even care if they're cheerleaders I just want flesh against my face
    • What have cheerleaders got to do with with The Who?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 6 2011, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Nov 6 2011, 10:06 AM)
Awesome album, one of my all time favs.. Got to see the tour also and that was Double Awesome..

rofl3.gif Heavy Metal?  no.gif

I've seen you headbanging to Behind Blue Eyes!

tongue.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 5 2011, 07:29 PM)
Great album but it's not metal.

If you want the best metal album of 1971 it's Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath firedevil.gif

yes.gif One of the best metal albums ever actually.

Edited by driventotheedge

It's definitely METAL and it's f...ing great, but for me Quadrophenia is even METALLER, so the double Mod Opera wins the award for METALLEST Who album...

BTW, not so long ago I dared propose on this same forum the - ironically charged - question if the Who were ever prog. I knew I was right, but all the prog heads stuck somewhere between Andromeda and the Anus of Uranus rained hell on me. Serves them well. METAL will wash you away! 1287.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Nov 7 2011, 09:47 AM)
It's definitely METAL and it's f...ing great, but for me Quadrophenia is even METALLER, so the double Mod Opera wins the award for METALLEST Who album...

BTW, not so long ago I dared propose on this same forum the - ironically charged - question if the Who were ever prog. I knew I was right, but all the prog heads stuck somewhere between Andromeda and the Anus of Uranus rained hell on me. Serves them well. METAL will wash you away! 1287.gif

I don't argue that inside their brilliant trio of Tommy, Who's Next and Quadraphenia there is much progginess. When people start suggesting The Who as a "Prog Band" I start to question their credentials. All joking apart, the one thing they aren't is "metal".

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 7 2011, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Nov 7 2011, 09:47 AM)

BTW, not so long ago I dared propose on this same forum the - ironically charged - question if the Who were ever prog. I knew I was right, but all the prog heads stuck somewhere between Andromeda and the Anus of Uranus rained hell on me. Serves them well. METAL will wash you away!  1287.gif

I don't argue that inside their brilliant trio of Tommy, Who's Next and Quadraphenia there is much progginess. When people start suggesting The Who as a "Prog Band" I start to question their credentials. All joking apart, the one thing they aren't is "metal".

Like all great bands, The Who were a little bit of everything. Blues, R&B, prog, metal, minimal, electronic, punk, you name it.

Of course, if someone's concept of a prog band is Yes or Pendragon, I know I cannot hope for a different reaction.

But in broader strokes...

Like all great bands, The Who were a little bit of everything. Blues, R&B, prog, metal, minimal, electronic, punk, you name it.......

Some people consider The Who as the first punk band. I've also heard The Kinks described as such. I can see it on both accounts.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 7 2011, 04:57 PM)
Like all great bands, The Who were a little bit of everything. Blues, R&B, prog, metal, minimal, electronic, punk, you name it.......

Some people consider The Who as the first punk band. I've also heard The Kinks described as such. I can see it on both accounts.

Punk in the sense of attitude or directly relating to their audience on a very intimate and basic level maybe, but punk as in The Pistols, nah.

CLASSIC LP from a great band.

Heavy-metal? Nope

Hard-rock? You betcha!!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 7 2011, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 7 2011, 04:57 PM)

Punk in the sense of attitude or directly relating to their audience on a very intimate and basic level maybe, but punk as in The Pistols, nah.

Also punk in their ability to be more than just a band for their audience, from their Mod period until later... being a sort of cultural reference point.

The Monkees beat them to the punch in 1968 with the prog-metal soundtrack album, "Head."

dazed025.gif

Really, I'm not sure which I consider more metal, Who's Next or Live At Leeds. That one packs a wallop.

Brilliant tunes combined with the playing of The Who at their peak. At this time they were at their absolute peak as a live band with Townshend commenting in later years that they become like a rock 'n' roll engine. It still sounds incredible too and is I'd say their best sounding album. Live At Leeds is still their best HM moment though. Add Tommy and the compilation Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy and you have The Who's 4 best albums.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 8 2011, 04:24 AM)
Hey Mother Ducker!

I had to go with "Who's Next" but "Quadrophenia" is damn close!

The Who is one of the greatest bands in the world.

Not many will ever top them. I can only think of a few.

Signed,

STEEL PANTHER

laugh.gif

Hey Earl Panther! I hope that's not a Steel Panther from Carolina! 1287.gif

cool10.gif

As has been said by many before me, this is just one of the best albums of all time.

The Who may not be metal per sae but they could be metalish and if one listens to any live recording, such as Live at Leeds or any boot you are lucky enough to get, or watches any DVD of them in their heyday (e.g. Live at the Isle of Wright, Live at Kilburn, Live at Charlton etc) you quickly come to appreciate how powerful they were in a live setting.

Great band, great album. Where would rock music be without them?

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Nov 6 2011, 12:49 AM)
metal? no. Masterpiece? oh yes.

yes.gif

Who's Next is to the Who what Moving Pictures is to Rush. It's their pinnacle.

Wow one of my best threads has been coughed up! ohmy.gif

In fact when I lay in bed bored the other night, this was the thread voted most popular treeduck thread by the cells in my body...

So I'll accept the TREEDUCK award from myself and simultaneously gloat and look on jealously on the behalf of other ignored treeduck threads...

wacko.gif trink38.gif cool10.gif