'The Avengers' assemble in a brand-new trailer!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 31 2012, 09:15 PM)
I'm a lot burned out, and this looks way too busy for me.  Too much action literally puts me to sleep.

goodpost.gif

I totally agree. If a film is just non-stop fighting, crashing and burning, more fighting, ......it's a total bore. schla03.gif It's not really a film. It's just junkfood for the eyes and ears.

There has to be a point to it all. There has to be a real story. yes.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 4 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 3 2012, 10:39 PM)
I simply can't imagine it being the colorfully, explosive bullshit that the Transformers movies are.  trink38.gif

I'll let you know a week from Saturday. I got passes to an early screening on the 14th biggrin.gif

Awesome! 1022.gif

I have to wait a while for it to come out here. I'm pretty sure Japan will be the last developed country on the planet to show it. As a guess, it'll probably be sometime between September-November.

I saw Captain America on a U.S. bound flight before it even came out here! ohmy.gif

Of course, shit like Pirates of the Caribbean part 9 and Transformers are always shown right on time. Damn sons o' bitches! 062802puke_prv.gif

Just saw this again on the TV machine. Looks awesome!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 3 2012, 11:39 PM)
If the spirit of that original comic is in the film then there WILL be a story and a fun one at that.

I hope so.....! smile.gif smile.gif

If it's just bang & crash, semi-witty one-liners, and close-ups of Scarlett Johansson, then I'm going to be pissed..... sarcasm.gif sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 4 2012, 11:38 PM)
If the spirit of that original comic is in the film then there WILL be a story and a fun one at that.

If it's just bang & crash, semi-witty one-liners, and close-ups of Scarlett Johansson, then I'm going to be pissed..... sarcasm.gif sarcasm.gif

Well, Iron Man 1, Thor, Captain America, and Incredible Hulk all fell somewhere between the "decent" to "really good" range for me. Iron Man 2 was the only one of those Avengers-related pics that wasn't that good.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 4 2012, 11:53 PM)
Well, Iron Man 1, Thor, Captain America, and Incredible Hulk all fell somewhere between the "decent" to "really good" range for me. Iron Man 2 was the only one of those Avengers-related pics that wasn't that good.

I saw Iron Man 2, and then forgot about it the next day. It was pretty lame. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Way too much talk talk talk, especially by the annoying corporate villain Justin Hammer. Stark and Potts talking over each other at warp speed. Vanko's sparse and garbled English was almost a welcome sound! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 4 2012, 11:38 PM)

Iron Man 1 and Capt America were both really good IMO.

Iron Man 2 was okay I guess. Thor took until about halfway through to get any good at all and I haven't seen Hulk yet.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 5 2012, 05:17 PM)

I saw Iron Man 2, and then forgot about it the next day. It was pretty lame. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Way too much talk talk talk, especially by the annoying corporate villain Justin Hammer. Stark and Potts talking over each other at warp speed. Vanko's sparse and garbled English was almost a welcome sound! tongue.gif

- f***ing Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer. Lame.

- Scarlett J was hot but she really didn't do too much besides be hot.

- Mickey "Vanko" Rourke was the best thing about Iron Man 2.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 5 2012, 09:45 PM)

My biggest issue with Scarlett J is that she's not even close to Natasha Romanoff. They got the hair sort-of right, I guess... the color of it, if not the style. The costume is fairly close, though the wrist accessories could be a little more obvious.

The biggest issue is that Black Widow is Russian. They didn't even try to fulfill that basic characteristic.

The second biggest issue, to me, is that if I had to use one word to describe Black Widow's demeanor, I'd say "severe". Scarlett J doesn't portray that at all.

I actually liked Iron Man 2, though, on the whole. It entertained me. It wasn't as good as the other Avengers related movies, but I wouldn't say it's a bad flick.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 01:10 PM)

My biggest issue with Scarlett J is that she's not even close to Natasha Romanoff. They got the hair sort-of right, I guess... the color of it, if not the style. The costume is fairly close, though the wrist accessories could be a little more obvious.

The biggest issue is that Black Widow is Russian. They didn't even try to fulfill that basic characteristic.

The second biggest issue, to me, is that if I had to use one word to describe Black Widow's demeanor, I'd say "severe". Scarlett J doesn't portray that at all.

I actually liked Iron Man 2, though, on the whole. It entertained me. It wasn't as good as the other Avengers related movies, but I wouldn't say it's a bad flick.

Yeah, I agree with all that about Scarlett Widow. Comic-wise she's a hard ass bordering on being a bitch (so I see your "severe" point). I mean, she often used to put Hercules (a totally arrogant dick) in his place. Also, I didn't get why they didn't even hint at her Russian-ness.

All in all, Iron Man 2 definitely wasn't on the same level as the supershitty Spider-Man 3 but it came nowhere near the glory of Iron Man 1. I'd give it a C-.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 5 2012, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 6 2012, 01:10 PM)

Yeah, I agree with all that about Scarlett Widow. Comic-wise she's a hard ass bordering on being a bitch (so I see your "severe" point). I mean, she often used to put Hercules (a totally arrogant dick) in his place. Also, I didn't get why they didn't even hint at her Russian-ness.

All in all, Iron Man 2 definitely wasn't on the same level as the supershitty Spider-Man 3 but it came nowhere near the glory of Iron Man 1. I'd give it a C-.

I give it a C+ I think. Could have been a B/B- if not for a few sticking points. I hated the stupid dance routine at the Stark Expo (in fact, that entire scene was pretty ridiculous). The problems with Black Widow. The horrendous portrayal of Justin Hammer.

But it does get points for the scene in the congressional hearings. The action was great. C+, I think.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 5 2012, 11:18 PM)

The producers only care about showing Scarlett's curves (her tits) and doing close-ups. That's not Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff on the screen, it's Scarlett Johansson.....that's what the producers care about.....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 10:34 AM)

The producers only care about showing Scarlett's curves (her tits) and doing close-ups. That's not Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff on the screen, it's Scarlett Johansson.....that's what the producers care about.....

Works for me. yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 11:34 PM)

Yeah, I get all that. But it's not like giving her a Russian accent would make her unhot. Hell, for many folks, it'd make her hotter!

I got out of the fan screening about an hour ago.

You guys have no idea what you're in for. Forget everything you saw in the trailers, forget all the speculation and press you've read so far... just go in and absorb this flick. From the opening frame to the closing frame, it is nothing short of fantastic.

Not a single dull moment - and by that I don't mean it's wall-to-wall action. I mean that even the times when characters are just standing around talking, you're completely engrossed in the scene.

I will not post spoilers, but I will shave about 10 minutes off your time in the theater:

Spoiler space just in case.

Don't want anyone getting all up in my face over this. Click outta the thread if you're trying to stay completely in the dark about every minor detail.

The traditional Marvel "after the movie" scene happens right after the main cast is listed in the credits. It's the only "after the movie" scene, so don't waste your time sitting in the theater until every single credit has rolled. Once you've gotten through that scene, it's truly over.

There. Not much of a spoiler, right?

Anyway... this thing is going to be massive. Just watch. Box office records will be broken, and I honestly don't think the Dark Knight Rises is going to catch it. I really don't. This will probably be the biggest comic book movie ever.

It's actually better than every Marvel movie that's come before it. I'm not exaggerating.

Sounds like good stuff dan. I didn't read the 2nd bit of your first post on the movie just in case there's something I want to be surprised by when I see it. So, thanks for not spoiling it. trink39.gif

I'll ask this though: of all the hero team flicks (all the X-MEN films, the double scoop pile of Fantastic 4 crap, Watchmen) how does it stack up? Where would you put it? Better than X-MEN 2?

[i already know you don't like Watchmen for some reason]

Also, were you okay with Scarlet Widow not really being similar to the comic?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 14 2012, 11:04 PM)
Sounds like good stuff dan. I didn't read the 2nd bit of your first post on the movie just in case there's something I want to be surprised by when I see it. So, thanks for not spoiling it. trink39.gif

I'll ask this though: of all the hero team flicks (all the X-MEN films, the double scoop pile of Fantastic 4 crap, Watchmen) how does it stack up? Where would you put it? Better than X-MEN 2?

Hands down, best superhero film ever made. Better than X-Men 2, yep. Team flick or otherwise, this movie beats 'em all. Black Widow, it didn't even cross my mind, the Russian thing. It's referenced a few times, her being Russian, but for whatever reason, "then where's your accent?" never crossed my mind. She could have been more cold, or severe, or stern, the way Natasha is in the comics (for the most part), but I found that that didn't really matter either. Scarlett J was great.

The other thing about Black Widow that I saw people talking a lot about was the idea that she'd be useless because all she has are a couple of guns. Same with Hawkeye - what good is a guy with a bow and arrow?

Trust me when I tell you... they are both far from useless. It's not obvious from the trailers, but when you get through the movie you'll smack yourself on the head and go "well, DUH".

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 15 2012, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 14 2012, 11:04 PM)
Sounds like good stuff dan. I didn't read the 2nd bit of your first post on the movie just in case there's something I want to be surprised by when I see it. So, thanks for not spoiling it.  trink39.gif

Hands down, best superhero film ever made. Better than X-Men 2, yep. Team flick or otherwise, this movie beats 'em all. Black Widow, it didn't even cross my mind, the Russian thing. It's referenced a few times, her being Russian, but for whatever reason, "then where's your accent?" never crossed my mind. She could have been more cold, or severe, or stern, the way Natasha is in the comics (for the most part), but I found that that didn't really matter either. Scarlett J was great.

The other thing about Black Widow that I saw people talking a lot about was the idea that she'd be useless because all she has are a couple of guns. Same with Hawkeye - what good is a guy with a bow and arrow?

Trust me when I tell you... they are both far from useless. It's not obvious from the trailers, but when you get through the movie you'll smack yourself on the head and go "well, DUH".

ohmy.gif

Best ever?! Wow!

[For me the best is Batman Begins (at the moment).]

The Hawkeye uselessness bit has been addressed (by himself) well in the comics and I can see that being explained well in the flick too. Yeah, I can see both Hawkeye & Black Widow being important even with a god, a monster, and other supers about.

I'm looking forward to this one even more than Dark Knight Rises & Amazing Spider-Man combined. trink38.gif

Last thing for tonight, I gotta get to bed...

Forget The Incredible Hulk movie and Edward Norton's performance. Forget the whole "omg, Edward Norton isn't in this one!" drama from a while back. Mark Ruffalo IS Bruce Banner. Dude nailed it. For fun I watched the first half of Incredible Hulk tonight. Ruffalo can't be beat.

Man... you're in for a real treat.

It's going to be torture, the next 3 weeks, because the big downside of seeing it early is that I can't talk to anyone about it without risking spoilers!!!

I like Nolan's bat-flicks well enough. They're really very good. Great, even. This is on a level way, way above, though.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 15 2012, 02:24 PM)
Last thing for tonight, I gotta get to bed...

Forget The Incredible Hulk movie and Edward Norton's performance. Forget the whole "omg, Edward Norton isn't in this one!" drama from a while back. Mark Ruffalo IS Bruce Banner. Dude nailed it. For fun I watched the first half of Incredible Hulk tonight. Ruffalo can't be beat.

Man... you're in for a real treat.

It's going to be torture, the next 3 weeks, because the big downside of seeing it early is that I can't talk to anyone about it without risking spoilers!!!

I like Nolan's bat-flicks well enough. They're really very good. Great, even. This is on a level way, way above, though.

Cool. I'm not too fussed about Ruffalo since I don't know anything about him. I did like Norton as Banner but hell, that's Hollywood.

As for torture for the next 3 weeks...it's going to be longer for me since Japan generally gets most films a few months late (and sometimes, NEVER!). But, I'm used to that.