Top 5 songs confuse the crap out of you lyrically?

LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 12 2011, 08:05 AM)
"Peaceable Kingdom" - I totally don't get this one.

A wave toward the clearing the sky

All this time we're talking and sharing our rational view
A billion other voices are spreading other news
All this time we're living and trying to understand
Why a billion other choices are making their demands

Talk of a peaceable kingdom
Talk of a time without fear
The ones we wish would listen
Are never going to hear

Justice against the hanged man
Knight of Wands against the hour
Swords against the kingdom
Time against the tower

All this time we're shuffling and laying out all our cards
While a billion other dealers are slipping past our guards
All this time we're hoping and praying we all might learn
While a billion other teachers are teaching them how to burn

Dream of a peaceable kingdom
Dream of a time without war
The ones we wish would hear us
Have heard it all before

A wave toward the clearing sky

The hermit against the lovers
Or the devil against the fool
Swords against the kingdom
The wheel against the rules

All this time we're burning like bonfires in the dark
A billion other blazes are shooting off their sparks
Every spark a drifting ember of desire
To fall upon the earth and spark another fire

A homeward angel on the fly

This song is "inspired" by 9/11 (for lack of a better word), and is filled with tarot card references.

The nineteenth-century Quaker folk artist, Edward Hicks, painted no less than sixty versions of the same biblical scene, "Peaceable Kingdom," and the tarot card "The Tower" seemed a chilling reflection of the events of September 11, 2001. - Behind The Fire -The Making Of Vapor Trails By Neil Peart

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 12 2011, 09:18 AM)
This song is "inspired" by 9/11 (for lack of a better word), and is filled with tarot card references.

The nineteenth-century Quaker folk artist, Edward Hicks, painted no less than sixty versions of the same biblical scene, "Peaceable Kingdom," and the tarot card "The Tower" seemed a chilling reflection of the events of September 11, 2001. - Behind The Fire -The Making Of Vapor Trails By Neil Peart

Thanks for that, but I don't get the tarot card references either.

You know, being that I'm not a fortune teller or anything like that. laugh.gif

I get a lot of individual vs. collective out of Peaceable Kingdom too; that we each try to make sense of the events in our lives amidst the influence of large groups of people, be it the government, terrorists, religious or political groups, the media, or just "the citizens along for the ride".

For Beyond Sun and Moon, see my post a ways back regarding the poem it grew out of.

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Oct 12 2011, 08:44 PM)
Does anyone know what Mission is about? A lot of "They", and "Their" in that song, so I guess I'm asking.....who if Neil referring to?

unsure.gif

I think the world and its people in general

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Oct 13 2011, 07:40 AM)
Does anyone know what Mission is about? A lot of "They", and "Their" in that song, so I guess I'm asking.....who if Neil referring to?

unsure.gif

I think the world and its people in general

Yes. He's referring to us, and everyone and anyone who fantasizes about being famous.

If we were to actually become famous, like Neil himself, we'd probably wish we weren't. If our lives were exotic and strange, we would likely gladly exchange our lives for something more plain and sane. Likewise, in "Limelight" (another Rush song that discusses the trappings of fame): living in the limelight is the universal dream, for those who wish to seem (or "pretend" to be famous). It's quite a different story for those who actually become famous, where it's not really the "dream life" we imagine it would be.

That's all Neil meant.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 19 2011, 05:04 AM)
The only lyric that confuses me is: 'When two halves make two wholes'. Surely two halves would make one whole. Not two.

This is me: wacko.gif ...

I would guess that it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 19 2011, 04:04 AM)
The only lyric that confuses me is: 'When two halves make two wholes'. Surely two halves would make one whole. Not two.

This is me: wacko.gif ...

Two halfs are supposed to make a whole, but sometimes things go awry. In a relationship, for example, you may start out together and your bond may become stronger, but about fifty percent of the time people divorce. The two halfs become two wholes.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 19 2011, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 19 2011, 05:04 AM)

This is me:  wacko.gif ...

I would guess that it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Got a point, there...

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 19 2011, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 19 2011, 04:04 AM)

This is me:  wacko.gif ...

Two halfs are supposed to make a whole, but sometimes things go awry. In a relationship, for example, you may start out together and your bond may become stronger, but about fifty percent of the time people divorce. The two halfs become two wholes.

That's quite an interesting point, there - hadn't thought of that. Thanks. smile.gif

unsure.gif

I think he is imagining what the lives of other people might be like. He talks about architects (their beautiful buildings), film makers (their images flicker) and even other musicians (their powerful music). He also mentions the fact that the highly talented people might wish for a normal life instead of the issues that come with fame and fortune. In the end though, the vision will not let these people go and they have chosen to follow their dreams despite the consequences.

Color Of Right is the first Neil lyric that made me go "ummm...what?" That's still such a bland uneventful song to me.

For me, Neil's lyrics started going downhill starting with Counterparts. Not saying that I don't like any of them since that album, just that he started to lose me more and more post 1993.

Chain Lightning.. isn't a sun dog a natural even involving the suns rays/reflection? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog)

I think it's just about an inspiring moment.. i've heard that it was remniscent of a time with his daughter on a lake too.. just spitballing.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Oct 20 2011, 08:56 PM)
Chain Lightning.. isn't a sun dog a natural even involving the suns rays/reflection? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog)

I think it's just about an inspiring moment.. i've heard that it was remniscent of a time with his daughter on a lake too.. just spitballing.

Go read Page One of this thread.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Queslington @ Oct 21 2011, 04:25 PM)
Kid Gloves?

It's about how adults have a hard time understanding the lives of children and also about how hard it is to be 'cool' in school. The third thing I get from it is that life lessons are more important than academics.

Complicated song. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 21 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Oct 21 2011, 04:25 PM)
Kid Gloves?

It's about how adults have a hard time understanding the lives of children and also about how hard it is to be 'cool' in school. The third thing I get from it is that life lessons are more important than academics.

Complicated song. laugh.gif

Thank you. That song had me stumped for a long time.