RUSH snubbed again by RNR Hall of Shame !

Oziumrules

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more than Rush not getting in that piss people off so much... It's the institution giving themselves their own reputation. It's the fact that the group gets off on calling themselves "The Rock and Roll hall of Fame" when the last decade of inductees shows them that they've left the genera of rock and roll far behind.

Another nomination for Laura f***ing Nyro? She was nominated last year, but apparently wasn't inducted.

Who the hell knows who Laura f***ing Nyro is??? confused13.gif

Proof positive, in my opinion, that the snubbing of Rush is intentional. Nobody's mind would think of Laura Nyro before thinking of Rush... which means the nominating committee HAS thought of Rush, and then intentionally passed them over. This isn't a case of Rush "slipping their minds." They obviously have no intention of ever nominating Rush, at least while Jann Wenner continues to have a big say in the nominations.

I was thinking the nomination would come last year, after the album, the tour, the feature article in Rolling Stone (which was favorable), the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the appearance on The Colbert Report, and the documentary film. But no.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Sep 27 2011, 04:39 PM)
Like it or not, Rush will be in the RRHF at some point.

I see no reason to complain about any of those on the list being put in.

On sentence one. Really, what would make you think that?

On sentence two. For real?

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Sep 27 2011, 04:39 PM)
Like it or not, Rush will be in the RRHF at some point.

I see no reason to complain about any of those on the list being put in.

On sentence one. Really, what would make you think that?

On sentence two. For real?

laugh.gif

Who would you really say on that list that does not deserve to be on it?

Here is How I would rate them top to bottom:

War

Donna Summer

The Spinners

Laura Nyro

The Small Faces/The Faces

Beastie Boys

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

Heart

Eric B. & Rakim

Freddie King

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Guns 'N Roses

The Cure

Rufus with Chaka Khan

Donovan

Edited by burgeranacoke

As I said in the other thread: Don't get wound up about it. One of my teachers once said: "RRHoF is like a child painting a family portrait for school: at first you think it's going to be amazing and do everyone justice, but soon after he starts you realize that he's just a child making a crappy painting".

A fella made a good point on RIAB that most of the acts in the Hall are dead, broken up, or retired, in whole or part. By that standard, Rush are far too active and relevant to be considered.

But yeah, more than likely, it's just a snub, and they're INTENT on creating a mass of defiant Rush fans defending the band. They don't realize that in casting us out, they're only making us louder, stronger, and yes...cooler. Or they do realize it, in which case we should say thanks for the compliment, and the free publicity yes.gif

Metallica even mentioned something about Rush when they were inducted, so whoever these people are, they are well aware that Rush probably deserves to be in, but wont put them in probably because they didnt have mainstream success for very long at all, and were never pioneers of anything, never started any new trends.

I get why Metallica should be in, or Nirvana (not in yet I dont think but will be for sure even with just 2 albums out!!), or Run DMC, and I know Rush never kicked off any major new trends, but they should be in just on their accomplishments alone and for how long they've done it.

I think they will get in someday.

I always think about Nirvana, how shitty of a band they were, but how they somehow changes the entire landscape of music with just 1 song. Incredible. Counterparts would never exist in its current form if it were not for Nirvana. That album had an alternative feel to it, started by Nirvana. And Rush has ALWAYS been a band that reflects whats going on around them in popular music. So a band with just 2 albums may well get in before Rush. Amazing.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 09:52 PM)
Metallica even mentioned something about Rush when they were inducted, so whoever these people are, they are well aware that Rush probably deserves to be in, but wont put them in probably because they didnt have mainstream success for very long at all, and were never pioneers of anything, never started any new trends.

I get why Metallica should be in, or Nirvana (not in yet I dont think but will be for sure even with just 2 albums out!!), or Run DMC, and I know Rush never kicked off any major new trends, but they should be in just on their accomplishments alone and for how long they've done it.

I always think about Nirvana, how shitty of a band they were, but how they somehow changes the entire landscape of music with just 1 song. Incredible. Counterparts would never exist in its current form if it were not for Nirvana. That album had an alternative feel to it, started by Nirvana. And Rush has ALWAYS been a band that reflects whats going on around them in popular music. So a band with just 2 albums may well get in before Rush. Amazing.

While you make some good points... how many of these 'influential' bands were influenced themselves by listening obsessively to Rush music when they were younger? Lots of them. You say Counterparts would not have existed without Nirvana? I say Dave Grohl would not exist without Neil Peart.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 27 2011, 09:08 PM)

While you make some good points... how many of these 'influential' bands were influenced themselves by listening obsessively to Rush music when they were younger? Lots of them. You say Counterparts would not have existed without Nirvana? I say Dave Grohl would not exist without Neil Peart.

You're right, some of these bands were influenced by them, like Metallica, but I dont think that comes into play when they pick artists.

They see how much commercial success they've had, and/or if they started trends. That's just what they go on, and the fact is Rush never had much commercial success, and never started any new trends.

I think they should be in, and do think they will be someday, but knowing the 2 main things they look for, I get why they arent in. I dont agree with it but thats the way it is with the hall.

Edited by trenken

The truth is there is a lot of really great bands that are very well known that may never get in because they didnt have sustained commercial success, or didnt start new trends. It doesnt matter how many people they may have influenced to them I guess.

If you do something better than everyone else for a very long time, like Rush has, to them that's just not good enough compared to some of the other artists that have made it in.

I totally get why Metallica is in. They started a whole new trend in music that is still reverberating today. They werent just a great band doing something everyone else was doing, they did something new, AND had commercial success with it. Rush never accomplished anything like that, so the hall looks at that, then looks at Rush, and decides they dont deserve to sit next to Metallica. It doesnt matter that Metallica love Rush growing up.

I totally understand it, but I think an exception should be made for Rush, and I think there will be someday.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 10:27 PM)

You're right, some of these bands were influenced by them, like Metallica, but I dont think that comes into play when they pick artists.

They see how much commercial success they've had, and/or if they started trends. That's just what they go on, and the fact is Rush never had much commercial success, and never started any new trends.

I think they should be in, and do think they will be someday, but knowing the 2 main things they look for, I get why they arent in. I dont agree with it but thats the way it is with the hall.

I don't know if you're right or wrong or otherwise. I have no way of understanding how their criteria works that a band like Rush, or Kiss, or Journey would not be nominated while acts like Joan Jett are. Somebody tell me how these 3 bands I've listed (like them or hate them) have less credentials through their bodies of work than freaking Joan Jett?

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 09:27 PM)

Well if we are speaking of commercial success why isn't a band like

Def Leppard isn't in as yet?

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 27 2011, 09:06 PM)
A fella made a good point on RIAB that most of the acts in the Hall are dead, broken up, or retired, in whole or part. By that standard, Rush are far too active and relevant to be considered.

But yeah, more than likely, it's just a snub, and they're INTENT on creating a mass of defiant Rush fans defending the band. They don't realize that in casting us out, they're only making us louder, stronger, and yes...cooler. Or they do realize it, in which case we should say thanks for the compliment, and the free publicity yes.gif

RHCP still pretty active as are Beasties before MCA's illness.

QUOTE (g under p @ Sep 27 2011, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 09:27 PM)

Well if we are speaking of commercial success why isn't a band like

Def Leppard isn't in as yet?

Not sure. There's so many bands out there. They cant all get in every year. They will probably get in someday for being so hugely popular in the 80s.

They are a household name. Is Rush a household name? Im not sure, I dont think they are. So thats a strike against them, then figure in the fact that even though they've influenced countless bands, some of which are in the hall, they never actually did anything NEW, or had any sort of sustained commercial success.

Like I said I think they will get in as like a sentimental favorite someday, so I think and exception will be made for them, but it wont even matter at that point, its already clear they dont think Rush deserves to be there.