Which epic song is better: 2112 or Hemispheres?

HereAgain

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Sep 27 2011, 08:46 PM)
I might have to choose 2112 because I read the novel Anthem right before hearing it. Since I loved that novel so much, it only makes the song even greater.

I love that novel quite a bit smile.gif

Trying to get a friend to read it, but he needs to finish my copy of "Dune" first :/

Sorry for the off-topic.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love both but Hemispheres has always been at the top of my list, as I've said in my "Suites" thread.

Btw I always liked Discovery, just my opinion.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 28 2011, 02:03 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 28 2011, 01:19 AM)
I think it's really interesting you two say that about "Discovery". I thought "2112" was, at least lyrically, one of the goofiest things I'd ever heard. My reaction the first couple times was something like, "lol what is this?" Then, though, I actually looked into the story, and everything seemed so deliberate and right. Here's what I mean...

In "Discovery", the protagonist has discovered something new and, to him, wondrous. I liken it to a small child making a discovery of that kind of magnitude to the individual. The protagonist is trying to describe this very foreign object, if only to himself, in the best way he can, yes?

He's a very different character from, say, Cygnus of "Hemispheres" (and "Cygnus X-1"). That guy is obviously pretty darn genius (he was able to make his way all the way to a black hole and then have the guts to go check it out up-close) so he's going to have a different kind of narrative. The same for Apollo and Dionysus, respectively.

Now, granted, this is all just speculation. I don't know for a fact how much of what Neil wrote was deliberate and how much he just kind of scrawled down and said, "Here! Lyrics! Be happy. Now let's write a killer song." There's a definite evolution between the two songs; between the two albums; but is it necessarily better or worse?

I personally believe that "Discovery" fits in with "2112" very well. I love the section and at times it has nearly moved me to tears.. if only knowing the fact that the protagonist will be dead by the end. (I get very attached! Don't judge!) It's the discovery and ultimate rejection of a gift that was supposed to bring joy and the freedom of personal expression to humanity. No, not quite in chime with the inspiring novel, Anthem, but to me it still fits pretty well.

So... there's my two.. three... maybe four or five cents. tongue.gif

Well stated! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You better believe it was deliberate. I think the point is that some people are looking at a piece as emotional and idealistic as 2112 is in an over analytical and intellectual way. Or as Pete Townshend once wrote: "Typewriter tappers, you're all just crappers. You listen to love with your intellect." I wonder if the ones criticizing the lyrics to 'Discovery' felt that way when they first heard it or if that was a view that developed over time after entering adulthood and becoming more jaded and cynical.

I much prefer 2112, for the reasons others have stated already: rawness, youthful passion, sincerity. 1022.gif Also, I've always loved the honest emotion and innocence of Discovery musically and lyrically.

Hemi misses the mark for me in a lot of ways...trying too hard, perhaps, resulting in it coming off as somewhat clumsy and...a bit of a stretch, maybe?

Its tough to say for me. While Hemispheres is better technically, 2112 holds a more special place for this fan, and I honestly will listen to it more than Hemi these days. In the end (pun intended) Im going 2112.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 26 2011, 02:26 AM)
I'd say The Necromancer still blows these 2 out of the water, narration aside. For the sake of the thread Hemispheres I suppose; though I can't make it through the full song recently.

Wouldnt go so far as blowing the other two out of the water, but definitely agree that its more enjoyable than other two IMO!

Edited by greg2112