The Great Purge of 2011

Maverick

I've decided to greatly reduce the amount of "stuff" that I have, and this will be done primarily in the form of books and cd's. With very few exceptions, most all of my books will be going to Good Will, or maybe the public library. Same with my CD's. Anything that I really want to keep music wise will be loaded to iTunes and then backed up.

Any books that I don't keep, but for some reason desperately want to get again, I will get on an eReader of some kind. That is how I will get new books, as well. I still haven't decided what I want to do in that category. I will be getting a Tablet of some kind in the near future. I'm just not sure if I want a separate eReader, or just keep it all in one. Any eReader I do get will have a touch screen and will show color.

I think this process is going to be very liberating. I've had some of these books and cd's since before college, and have dragged them around with me for over 20 years. I guess I'm over having all that "stuff."

And go ahead and tag me with a "Subtle hoarding thread" if you want. But I assure you, it's not that bad. Yet...

laugh.gif

Edited by -Ender-

Using an eReader, ipod, etc. doesn't NOT make you a hoarder. It just frees up the actual physical space. It's still hoarding imho. No worries, I've got a lot of shit that's hard to toss too...but I'm still nowhere near the levels of some of my buddies though. One fem friend has a fat wallet like George Costanza...expired library card from 1998, 40% coupon for a restaurant that doesn't exist anymore, etc.

Trade up, eBay, garage sale. If you've got things that people want, you could make some good money - books especially, if you have copies of things that aren't in print or are somewhat hard to find.

There's a difference between hoarding and having a collection of something. I collect comics, and I've got about 5,000 of them. Doesn't make me a hoarder. To my mind, there's a stage before hoarder: pack rat. Someone who doesn't mind throwing stuff away, but never seems to take the initiative and actually do it. Hoarders, I believe, have a problem with lightening the load.

Cleansing your life of unwanted "stuff" is good sometimes, but be very careful though. I did a massive cleaning, throwing away, getting rid of stuff about 15 years ago when I bought my house. I'd been carting this stuff around through about 7 moves, some of it since high school. I don't need it anymore? Felt good for awhile.

I still miss my red HYF t-shirt; my Boston t-shirt and especially my Black Sabbath t-shirt from the Heaven and Hell tour. fists crying.gif

Clean it up, throw it out, donate.. but think twice before you toss. biggrin.gif

Best of luck! I'm a terrible hoarder, too. But even though I have a Kindle I just can't imagine giving up any of my (hundreds of) books. Or CDs. Or DVDs. b_sigh.gif

Had to do this when LyndsyG and I bought the narrowboat to live on. Problem I have with the music is I want to physically own it, not have a file that could corrupt. (does this make sense, buy an album rather than Itune it).

What we did is loose the cases for album for all the CDs and DVDs and put them in folders.

The big problem is the one hundred plus audio tapes I've been hoarding. Would free up some space and there is some embarrassing big hair eighties rock going on in that lot!

So far so good. The book purge went really well on Friday. I got two full bookshelves down to a 1/2 full one. I kept a little bit of Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli, and Locke. If I had any duplicates, I kept the nicer copy. I also kept editions of books that were larger and had lots of photographs or illustrations.

The next step in the book purge will be to go to the basement. Again, I don't have too many books down there, probably just a few boxes. But these will be easy to go through. If they have been out of sight, out of mind for so long, then I really don't need them. Among these books will be ones that I read going back to when I was 13 years old. It's really the only reason they've made it with me this far, the sentimental attachment.

I began work on the CD's, but loading them into iTunes can be painfully slow. Luckily there's no real hurry for doing this. I just have to grind them out when I have the time. I'm still figuring out how I want to handle them once they are loaded into iTunes. There are physical copies I will want to keep, and many others that will be donated. And then there will be the borderline keep/chuck ones. There are a number of duplicates that I have, particularly Rush and Yes. I bought the original releases, and then I bought the 20-bit remastered versions. The first run releases will be gone.

QUOTE (Gilby @ Sep 18 2011, 02:46 PM)
Had to do this when LyndsyG and I bought the narrowboat to live on. Problem I have with the music is I want to physically own it, not have a file that could corrupt. (does this make sense, buy an album rather than Itune it).
What we did is loose the cases for album for all the CDs and DVDs and put them in folders.
The big problem is the one hundred plus audio tapes I've been hoarding. Would free up some space and there is some embarrassing big hair eighties rock going on in that lot!

I have a strong feeling that the CD's I do keep will end up in a binder of some sort, with or without the booklets them came with them.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 18 2011, 12:19 PM)
I got the Kindle app for iPad. yes.gif Enjoy it much!

That's something I'm very interested in doing. The new eReaders coming out are supposed to be touch screen, I guess. I'll have to see how they stack up. I want a touch screen and color.

QUOTE (Gilby @ Sep 18 2011, 02:46 PM)

Cassette tapes? Seriously?

laugh.gif

At least they aren't 8-track.

unsure.gif

Honestly, I don't know the last time I used, or even saw, a cassette tape. Good luck with those!