The problem with Vapor Trails

StellarJetman

Because so many people here don't seem to get it, this is what's so awful about the album that it warrants a complete remix from the ground up.

Here are the volume levels for the right stereo channel in "Limelight". Notice how there's plenty of room for the sound, how the space lets it take shape in a pleasing way.

Now, have a look at the levels for "Earthshine". Everything is pushed to the absolute maximum volume, squashing and distorting everything into a noisy mess.

This has nothing to do with Vapor Trails having a "raw" type of "style". Take "Stick It Out", for comparison. Is it loud? Yes. Is it raw? Yes. The difference is that Peter Collins knew what he was doing and didn't artificially pump the volume up and ruin the sound - those volume levels are high, yes, but there's still room for the sound to sound good. Vapor Trails, on the other hand, is "brickwalled" to the point that it's practically unlistenable for a lot of people. This doesn't make it sound good. This takes what could have been a great, hard-edged rock album and leaves it ragged and scrappy-sounding.

Interestingly, Vapor Trails is this way entirely by accident. I say "interestingly" because this was actually a (terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad) trend at the time (cf. Polara's Jetpack Blues, released in the same year, which contains this miracle of audio engineering), believe it or not. Thankfully, this kind of production has long hence fallen out of favor.

Edited by StellarJetman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to Power Windows right now and as loud an album as it is there is still a lot of space in the mix. Vapor Trails does indeed need the remix and apparently it is going to happen. I can't wait to see the threads that show up here when that happens. cool.gif

so there is no digital distortion on the master tracks then? i remember hearing about that. the retrospective remixes sound better but by far perfect. you have to always keep in mind that the best mix in the world can be butchered by a bad mastering job which is - according to my knowledge - where the main problem was in the first place. but i'd appreciate any further insight on what exactly happened with vt.

QUOTE (senor_velasco @ Sep 9 2011, 02:10 PM)
so there is no digital distortion on the master tracks then? i remember hearing about that. the retrospective remixes sound better but by far perfect. you have to always keep in mind that the best mix in the world can be butchered by a bad mastering job which is - according to my knowledge - where the main problem was in the first place. but i'd appreciate any further insight on what exactly happened with vt.

The master recordings are fine; the mixing and final mastering killed it because Geddy ended up having to do the whole thing himself, despite his inexperience. Here's what Alex said:

QUOTE (Alex Lifeson @ May 7 2002)
The poor guy was doing this on his own. It really shook him up... He said, "I don't know what to think. I think it's awful."
Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 9 2011, 03:37 PM)
I've never heard anything wrong with VT - to me, it does sound loud and raw, but I can't hear any distortion.

If you turn it up REAL loud it sounds like shit. There's the distortion.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 9 2011, 09:49 PM)
I've never heard anything wrong with VT - to me, it does sound loud and raw, but I can't hear any distortion.

Oh, I see...

How did it make it out of the studio even? The #1 priority should be checking the graphs to make sure nothing is clipping. And it is so easy to do. I can do it on my audio editor on my computer. Why would anybody release anything that is clipping?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 9 2011, 01:54 PM)

Oh, I see...

Vapor Trails is one of my favorite albums. The songs on there are great.

But I think if you listen closely you can hear the sounds blurring together in a kind of noise fog sometimes. It's too compressed, with little distinction between notes. It's not very crisp. I read once that Alex said "It came out too hot." I think that's exactly correct.

I look forward to hearing what they can do with it. Some of those tunes are out of this world.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 9 2011, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 9 2011, 01:54 PM)

Oh, I see...

Vapor Trails is one of my favorite albums. The songs on there are great.

But I think if you listen closely you can hear the sounds blurring together in a kind of noise fog sometimes. It's too compressed, with little distinction between notes. It's not very crisp. I read once that Alex said "It came out too hot." I think that's exactly correct.

I look forward to hearing what they can do with it. Some of those tunes are out of this world.

Doesn't too hot refer to the clipping issue?

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Sep 9 2011, 03:36 PM)
Because so many people here don't seem to get it, this is what's so awful about the album that it warrants a complete remix from the ground up.

Here are the volume levels for the right stereo channel in "Limelight". Notice how there's plenty of room for the sound, how the space lets it take shape in a pleasing way.

Now, have a look at the levels for "Earthshine". Everything is pushed to the absolute maximum volume, squashing and distorting everything into a noisy mess.

This has nothing to do with Vapor Trails having a "raw" type of "style". Take "Stick It Out", for comparison. Is it loud? Yes. Is it raw? Yes. The difference is that Peter Collins knew what he was doing and didn't artificially pump the volume up and ruin the sound - those volume levels are high, yes, but there's still room for the sound to sound good. Vapor Trails, on the other hand, is "brickwalled" to the point that it's practically unlistenable for a lot of people. This doesn't make it sound good. This takes what could have been a great, hard-edged rock album and leaves it ragged and scrappy-sounding.

Interestingly, Vapor Trails is this way entirely by accident. I say "interestingly", because this was actually a (terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad) trend at the time (cf. Polara's Jetpack Blues, released in the same year, which contains this gem of audio engineering), believe it or not. Thankfully, this kind of production has long hence fallen out of favor.

Interesting.

I'm surprised people either can;t hear this or are disputing it. There is a difference between liking the album (I think the songs are mostly good to very good) and realizing that it sounds like shit. Don't confuse heavy with noisy. As far as the issue being in the mix or the recording I am not sure. I hope it is in the mix and that going back to the originals and redoing it will fix it. The two songs I already heard sounded much better.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Sep 9 2011, 12:36 PM)

Interestingly, Vapor Trails is this way entirely by accident. I say "interestingly" because this was actually a (terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad) trend at the time (cf. Polara's Jetpack Blues, released in the same year, which contains this miracle of audio engineering), believe it or not. Thankfully, this kind of production has long hence fallen out of favor.

Thank you for being specific about this. I can hear that VT sounds too loud and often muddled. Not as crisp and clear as other albums. Can't wait to hear the remaster.

That remaster. It would make all the difference. Well - at least such is the hope.

I've been putting off getting the CD because I've heard the quality in demos and it's terrible. I even really like the 2004 various remasters I've heard on Myspace streaming, even though most of my current Rush CDs are the '98 remasters.. I think. Yeah.

I'd never criticized the sound quality of Vapor Trails, and was actually surprised that people generally didn't like it. I kind of thought it was a more 'raw, heavy-sounding' album, and left it at that for myself. It's interesting to see more specific basis for this, and it would be interesting to hear a different mix of it! Since my ears aren't registering 'distortion' so much, I'll continue to enjoy listening to VT, and see what the future brings!