If you could obtain the rights to use any song

USB Connector

The question is simple: If you could obtain the licensing rights to any one Rush song, which song would it be and what would you do with it?

I would want to the rights to Hemispheres so I could give them to Harmonix to put into Rock Band. It's unoriginal but I'm hoping that TRF has more original ideas tongue.gif

That's a good question. If it was for something good, and honors Rush, I'm all for it. I honestly don't know what I would do. I will say that I'm terrified that someone will get there hands on Rush's material, and freakin' butcher their music through samples and crap. Sample a Rush part, and throw a rap from a thug over it. That would be repulsive.

Interesting thought.... I think I would use one of the epics and make an animated film of it. Hemispheres would be good. 2112 would too.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 2 2011, 06:46 AM)
That's a good question. If it was for something good, and honors Rush, I'm all for it. I honestly don't know what I would do. I will say that I'm terrified that someone will get there hands on Rush's material, and freakin' butcher their music through samples and crap. Sample a Rush part, and throw a rap from a thug over it. That would be repulsive.

I've had some really good ideas for a video for "Spirit of Radio" studio version.

Same with "Middletown Dreams".

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 2 2011, 10:02 PM)

My life is ruined now... tongue.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 2 2011, 08:02 PM)

I'm sick of rap and hip hop just using these samples. Create your own music. That's why I'm glad I gave up rap back in the day when I was young. Stuff is too much the same. And where's the originality.

Anyways, if I could obtain the rights to any song, I'd probably take Xanadu and make a short film of it somehow.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 2 2011, 09:02 PM)

The title is all wrong. It's supposed to read:

DJ "Guy Who Named Himself After a Comic Book Character" Presents "Guy Who Spits into a Microphone Over Music He Ripped Off From a Classic Rock Band"

I'm not a big rap fan, but I've heard rap that is really quite original. And I'm fine with the occasional sample showing up in a song, like tossing in a guitar lick every now and then. And I'm totally cool with collaborations between rap and rock artists, like Aerosmith & RunDMC's Walk This Way or Anthrax & Public Enemy's Bring the Noise or the stuff Jay-Z did with Linkin Park.

But this... this is just theft. All this jackhole did was take the music from Tom Sawyer, change the drum part and rap over it. This is the kind of thing that should lose a copyright infringement lawsuit.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 2 2011, 10:02 PM)

i kind of enjoyed this ph34r.gif

I would buy the rights to Entre Nous, and would carve the lyrics in big letters into the chalk downs here in the south of England (a la the White Horse of Uffington, see the Wikipedia article).

I would then change the national anthem to Entre Nous, thus dumping that miserable, downbeat dirge that we have over here that goes on and on for fourteen verses about about God getting off his arse to rescue the monarch (or something), when it is blindingly obvious that she has more than enough aides and valets etc. who could do that. I mean, come on, it doesn't even have a guitar solo, let alone decent lyrics. Besides, the peril from which she apparently needs saving is never explored adequately, so it has to be Entre Nous instead - that way we can all have a ruddy good sing-song before a game of footie at Wembley.

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Sep 3 2011, 07:22 PM)
I would buy the rights to Entre Nous, and would carve the lyrics in big letters into the chalk downs here in the south of England (a la the White Horse of Uffington, see the Wikipedia article).

I would then change the national anthem to Entre Nous, thus dumping that miserable, downbeat dirge that we have over here that goes on and on for fourteen verses about about God getting off his arse to rescue the monarch (or something), when it is blindingly obvious that she has more than enough aides and valets etc. who could do that. I mean, come on, it doesn't even have a guitar solo, let alone decent lyrics. Besides, the peril from which she apparently needs saving is never explored adequately, so it has to be Entre Nous instead - that way we can all have a ruddy good sing-song before a game of footie at Wembley.

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Hear! Hear!

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Sep 3 2011, 09:03 PM)

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Hear! Hear!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 3 2011, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Sep 3 2011, 09:03 PM)

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Hear! Hear!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif Cheers LG and BC - glad you like the idea. Perhaps we should start one of those online petitions on that site the government set up. If we get 100,000 signatures it would force a debate in parliament.

Well I can dream can't I?

A local news station in Atlanta uses Rush occasionally at the beginning and end of their commercial breaks (YYZ, Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, other things that fit) and they also use "Everyday Glory" for their station identification commercial thingy.

I think I would like to use instrumental versions of Rush music in a movie... But I can't say one song in particular. I think Rush would make a perfect soundtrack. There's a little of everything really.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2011, 10:02 PM)
I've had some really good ideas for a video for "Spirit of Radio" studio version.

Same with "Middletown Dreams".

I'd love to see a video of both those songs. I wish Rush made music videos for both of them. I enjoy music videos.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Sep 5 2011, 10:01 PM)
A local news station in Atlanta uses Rush occasionally at the beginning and end of their commercial breaks (YYZ, Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, other things that fit) and they also use "Everyday Glory" for their station identification commercial thingy.

I think I would like to use instrumental versions of Rush music in a movie... But I can't say one song in particular. I think Rush would make a perfect soundtrack. There's a little of everything really.

Caravan would fit well in a trailer.

I'd get "Leave That Thing Alone" into a movie soundtrack. It'd probably end up playing over a montage or something.

In the event that the movie is terrible, I'd retroactively decide, instead, to give "The Trees" an awesome animated video, as it was, itself, inspired by a cartoon, and because the instrumental section in the middle would lend itself handily to Fantasia-style shenanigans.

Edited by StellarJetman

I love that idea of making a movie about 2112, the fountain of lemneth, hemispheres, or 2112. I think 2112 would be a beyond awsome trillagy if they did how it started, 2112, and the break away from that govement

QUOTE (TheY2k @ Sep 6 2011, 06:08 PM)
I love that idea of making a movie about 2112, the fountain of lemneth, hemispheres, or 2112. I think 2112 would be a beyond awsome trillagy if they did how it started, 2112, and the break away from that govement

That would something I'd like to watch.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Sep 6 2011, 05:04 AM)
In the event that the movie is terrible, I'd retroactively decide, instead, to give "The Trees" an awesome animated video, as it was, itself, inspired by a cartoon..

Really? I didn't know that. Is it on YouTube?