Musicians of TRF, who's your personal guitar hero?

Ted Barchetta

To me, it's always been a tie between Jimi Hendrix, Dave Gilmour and Duane Allman, but recently Duane has come up on top. He's my absolute favorite musician. He's opened up a floodgate of guitar ideas in my fledgeling musical brain, AND he's shown me how the blues should be played on a guitar. His soloing and sheer technique floor me every time I try to play along to an Allman Brothers song. He just plays the guitar like no one else.

Who's your personal guitar hero?

I'd say Hendrix, Harrison and Nugent,as far as lead,

and Lifeson, Townsend and Clapton as far as lead

and rhythm guitar.Lennon was an exceptional rhythm

player..especially early on,when he had that rickenbacker

sound goin on...CLASSIC!

I can play both lead and rhythm guitar.

Not a pro by any means, but I enjoy it.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Nobody mentioned so far would have had anything to play with were it not for Les Paul himself. He developed the solid body electric guitar, multitrack recording, tape delay, flange and other modulation effects, contributed to the design of the Fairchild compressor (considered the quintessential mastering comp) to just name a few. He was Eddie Van Halen before Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix before Jimi Hendrix. He played country live on the radio during the day then jazz at night with all of the greats.

Les Paul is the only true Guitar Hero.

That said, my favorite guitar player has got to be Ace Frehley. I wouldn't have ever known about Les Paul if not for Ace Frehley. Then the Beatles collectively (except Ringo) and Alex.

Jeff Beck, Gary Moore and David Gilmour, if I had to be specific...

or, any of the guitarists in the gif in my signature (not the Doctor Who one, obviously)

Edited by Your_Lion

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Aug 16 2011, 02:47 PM)
I don't play, but... But..
No Martin?

Martin Barr is so underrated. yes.gif

yes.gif Too right he is!!!

And he's in my signature...so I did sort of mention him wink.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 16 2011, 07:04 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Aug 16 2011, 02:47 PM)
I don't play, but... But..
No Martin?

Martin Barr is so underrated.  yes.gif

yes.gif Too right he is!!!

And he's in my signature...so I did sort of mention him wink.gif

Right you are and that is an old shot of him too. 70's looks like, goes past so fast.

Gilmour, Hackett, Fripp and Les Paul. Also Tommy Tedesco. My first lesson book was written by him.

I'd have to say overall it would be David Gilmour. Dave Mustaine said it perfectly - "Someone like David Gilmour can say more in three or four notes than Yngwie can say in 100, but at least they're both speaking." The guy is so fluid with his playing its almost like syrup flowing. Watch the "Remember That Night" DVD - the stuff from "On An Island" is fantastic.

If we're talking acoustic though, I've developed a huge respect for Paul Simon and James Taylor. While everyone puts a premium focus on their singing / harmony work, both of them can really play. Taylor's stuff can border on bizarre at times and you'd swear he has 12 fingers.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 16 2011, 07:05 PM)
Gilmour, Hackett, Fripp and Les Paul. Also Tommy Tedesco. My first lesson book was written by him.

Tommy Tedesco was f***ing amazing! You have all heard Tommy and never knew it. He was also one if the LA Wrecking Crew first call session guys. His son Denny has made a film about the Wrecking Crew years. He is searching for distribution and donations to pay for the music licensing in the film because it is vast. Tommy was also one of the first regular contributors to Guitar Player magazine.

Just to give you an idea of where you have heard Tommy Tedesco. If you have watched any of the Godfather films Tommy plays the mandolin in the main theme that everybody knows. If you have watched M*A*S*H on TV or the film Tommy plays the acoustic guitar introduction and melody. Numerous hits from the 60's and 70's feature Tommy.

Howard Roberts was one of the Wrecking Crew too btw. I put a link to Carol Kaye's site in the female musician thread. She is top notch as well.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 16 2011, 02:04 PM)
Leo Fender

Leo was more of an inventor and opportunist than a guitar player. You might as well put Adolf Rickenbacker or C. F. Martin...

tongue.gif