Rush should do a tour with rarely played songs

Earthshine

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 9 2011, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 2 2011, 01:24 AM)
Wouldn't it be cool if Rush did a tour with some songs that they rarely, if ever play?

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Hand Over Fist (with drum solo)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

No chance I could sit through that......that's a LOT of crud......

I think I almost might turn down going to see Rush if I knew that would be the set list...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 9 2011, 08:21 PM)
Wouldn't it be cool if Rush did a tour with some songs that they rarely, if ever play?

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

There is no such thing as crud with Rush.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 10 2011, 04:57 AM)

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

I think I almost might turn down going to see Rush if I knew that would be the set list...

You must be one of these people who just want to hear Closer To The Heart and Tom Sawyer on every tour.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 10 2011, 05:02 AM)

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

You must be one of these people who just want to hear Closer To The Heart and Tom Sawyer on every tour.

there is on that set list many of the worst Rush's songs. It would be painful evening... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 10 2011, 05:05 AM)

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

there is on that set list many of the worst Rush's songs. It would be painful evening... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Dude! It is to hear something different! Doesn't everybody get tired of hearing the same old songs nearly every tour?

And no, you're wrong. Those are all great songs. They just are not as popular as the "hits". There are lots of songs I did not include such as Out Of The Cradle, that should never be played. Those songs I listed such as Chain Lightning and Available Light are some of Rush's best songs.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 10 2011, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 10 2011, 05:05 AM)

Here is my list:

Chain Lightning
Face Up
Open Secrets
Neurotica
Madrigal
The Speed of Love
Lessons
I Think I'm Going Bald
Rivendell
Good News First
You Bet Your Life

INTERMISSION

Alien Shore
Anagram (for Mongo)
Emotion Detector
Losing It
Bravest Face
Tai Shan
Second Nature
The Big Wheel
Nocturne
Everyday Glory
Different Strings
Freeze (Part IV of Fear)
Carve Away The Stone
High Water
We Hold On

ENCORE

Color Of Right
Available Light

Dude! It is to hear something different! Doesn't everybody get tired of hearing the same old songs nearly every tour?

And no, you're wrong. Those are all great songs. They just are not as popular as the "hits". There are lots of songs I did not include such as Out Of The Cradle, that should never be played. Those songs I listed such as Chain Lightning and Available Light are some of Rush's best songs.

I agree...I would not wanna hear this. You've made a nice list of rather obscure songs but that would be a horrible show.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Something I think would be cool is opening and closing the sets with parts of 2112, ie:

Beginning of the first set is Overture/Temples

End of the first set is Presentation

End of the second set is Oracle/Soliloquy/The Grand Finale

Other songs that I would like scattered throughout would be Something For Nothing, A Farwell To Kings, and The Enemy Within

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Aug 3 2011, 12:16 AM)
I love this idea and hope to God they do it as Alex sort of hinted he would like to do.....I have no idea which songs I would like to hear though.

yes.gif I agree

Quote from Sonictheplumber:

I for one would shit my pants if they played fountain of lamneth

rofl3.gif I ain't sitting next to you then! Just in case!

I would love to hear the song though.

QUOTE (Freeze @ Aug 2 2011, 07:49 AM)
I would love to see some of those songs in the setlist on the next tour:

Cinderella Man
Jacob`s Ladder
The Analog Kid
Losing It
Afterimage
The Enemy Within
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Chain Lightning
Available Light
Cut To The Chase
Test For Echo
Vapor Trail
Nocturne

Great list, I would add Freeze, The Weapon and as much of the Cygnus X-1 suite as I can get. I can't understand why they don't play The Weapon anymore, that song absolutely rocks on GuP Live.

It might be a fun exercise to fantasize about but the reality is that probably 90% or more of the crowd goes to see Rush for the same 10 or 12 songs over and over. That's what they want. That's not a reflection on Rush's catalog, that's a reflection on the casual attitude of most concert-goers. For any major band, older bands especially, all fans want is a jukebox of hits. I hate to sound so jaded but after seeing Rush for over 30 shows going back to the 80s and seeing the same thing at concerts for many other major bands there's just no getting around it. People want to hear what they know and as soon as a song starts they don't recognize they tune out and it doesn't matter if it's old or new, in most cases they don't even know. I was 3rd row for the Counterparts tour in Austin which was the first of three shows I saw them on that tour. Since that was before the internet I had no idea what they were going to play. Everybody jumped up when the band came on stage and played Dreamline, went ballistic when they followed that with The Spirit of Radio, and then when they started The Analog Kid there was this huge "whump" as almost everybody around me plopped down in their chairs and started talking and tuned out. Some guys next to me were still standing and I hear one yell/ask "Is this a new song?!" That stuff happens all the time.

Tell the fans in advance that the next tour's setlist will not have any of the following: Working Man, 2112 Overture/Temples, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, and Subdivisions and watch as they sell 500 seats per show no matter what else they play. They have to play 9 or 10 of those 12 every time to keep people happy. Those are the only songs that most are there to hear. Sad, but true.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Aug 10 2011, 01:45 PM)
It might be a fun exercise to fantasize about but the reality is that probably 90% or more of the crowd goes to see Rush for the same 10 or 12 songs over and over. That's what they want. That's not a reflection on Rush's catalog, that's a reflection on the casual attitude of most concert-goers. For any major band, older bands especially, all fans want is a jukebox of hits. I hate to sound so jaded but after seeing Rush for over 30 shows going back to the 80s and seeing the same thing at concerts for many other major bands there's just no getting around it. People want to hear what they know and as soon as a song starts they don't recognize they tune out and it doesn't matter if it's old or new, in most cases they don't even know. I was 3rd row for the Counterparts tour in Austin which was the first of three shows I saw them on that tour. Since that was before the internet I had no idea what they were going to play. Everybody jumped up when the band came on stage and played Dreamline, went ballistic when they followed that with The Spirit of Radio, and then when they started The Analog Kid there was this huge "whump" as almost everybody around me plopped down in their chairs and started talking and tuned out. Some guys next to me were still standing and I hear one yell/ask "Is this a new song?!" That stuff happens all the time.

Tell the fans in advance that the next tour's setlist will not have any of the following: Working Man, 2112 Overture/Temples, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, and Subdivisions and watch as they sell 500 seats per show no matter what else they play. They have to play 9 or 10 of those 12 every time to keep people happy. Those are the only songs that most are there to hear. Sad, but true.

Unfortunately, everything you say is absolutely true. sad.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 10 2011, 01:15 PM)

Damn straight! Bastards better play my favorite over-played radio hits!

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 12 2011, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 10 2011, 01:15 PM)

Damn straight! Bastards better play my favorite over-played radio hits!

laugh.gif