Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

Steven just posted this on Facebook.

I extend my apologies to the New York audience, who had to wait for up to 2 and a half hours for the performance to begin yesterday. The introductory Bass Communion quadrophonic audio / film is designed to create an atmosphere while the audience enter the concert venue, but despite an advertised start time of 8pm the venue management insisted that we went on at 9.30pm, which meant that some people had already been standing in the venue for up to 90 minutes before we even began to run this music/film. Anyway, I hope it didn't spoil the evening too much for you, and thank you for your patience.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2011, 12:10 AM)
I extend my apologies to the New York audience, who had to wait for up to 2 and a half hours for the performance to begin yesterday. The introductory Bass Communion quadrophonic audio / film is designed to create an atmosphere while the audience enter the concert venue, but despite an advertised start time of 8pm the venue management insisted that we went on at 9.30pm, which meant that some people had already been standing in the venue for up to 90 minutes before we even began to run this music/film. Anyway, I hope it didn't spoil the evening too much for you, and thank you for your patience.

I kept hearing different reasons from different sources as to why the show started late so it's really nice of Steven to make a public statement about it. Now I want to direct my anger at the management for Best Buy Theater for wanting to delay the show for that long against Steven's wishes. Why they never addressed the matter to the audience before or after the doors opened is beyond me. But all is forgiven I suppose.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 13 2011, 12:28 AM)

I kept hearing different reasons from different sources as to why the show started late so it's really nice of Steven to make a public statement about it. Now I want to direct my anger at the management for Best Buy Theater for wanting to delay the show for that long against Steven's wishes. Why they never addressed the matter to the audience before or after the doors opened is beyond me. But all is forgiven I suppose.

I hate to say this but I don't think this was the true reason. I don't see why he would lie but it just seems strange that the theater would purposely postpone the show. It makes them look bad and that's the last thing they'd want.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2011, 12:34 AM)

I hate to say this but I don't think this was the true reason. I don't see why he would lie but it just seems strange that the theater would purposely postpone the show. It makes them look bad and that's the last thing they'd want.

It would look bad if it was the theater's fault, but it would also make Steven look bad if he did lie about the whole thing. I bet he wanted to rest after the signing and especially after soundcheck. He must've had a long day like the rest of us. Considering that the Bass Communion songs were playing when the doors opened before the video started, it would appear that the show was suppose to start at 8 on schedule.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 13 2011, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2011, 12:34 AM)

It would look bad if it was the theater's fault, but it would also make Steven look bad if he did lie about the whole thing. I bet he wanted to rest after the signing and especially after soundcheck. He must've had a long day like the rest of us. Considering that the Bass Communion songs were playing when the doors opened before the video started, it would appear that the show was suppose to start at 8 on schedule.

It's understandable that he would want to rest. I was exhausted too and I didn't even do much ater the signing. Whatever the reason was, it was well worth the wait. I'm thankful that I was able to meet him earlier and see him play such a great show. I would have waited twice as long to see the show it was that good.

The show started promptly at 8PM as advertised in Philly. Weird about the NYC thing.

As for the show, WOW! Seriously. WOW. I didn't know what to expect beforehand. I figured there would be a lot of Steven Wilson/Lasse Hoile type visuals during the show, but I didn't expect it to as integrated as it was. It made for a truly spellbinding performance. I feel like I witnessed performance art live, rather than an ordinary concert like I was expecting.

SW has really set the bar high as far as music is concerned. I've been to hundreds of concerts, and I can easily say that the show last night was firmly in my top 5 favorite concerts EVER. It wasn't just a band playing music on stage, it was a perfect mesh of audio/visual that I have yet to see from a live performance. I am aware of the rumors about PT not continuing or whatever, and I was skeptical about them since PT is Steven's main moneymaker. But after last night, I can't help but notice how much more into it he seemed than at a regular PT gig.

As for the music, he put together a brilliant ensemble of players who performed the music to absolute perfection. I was also impressed by how in sync the band was with the visuals, especially in the more rhythmically precise parts in Raider II and Sectarian.

Overall, I am utterly in shock by how perfect the show was. The theater was small and intimate, no shitty loud opening band, beautifully integrated visuals, and a band that played the music at a level beyond perfection. Well done, SW!

you nailed it grand d. it was an amazing show. saw the show in philly last night also. i just don't dig stevens new album. love insurgents a lot more. glad he played a few tunes off that album.

PT are doing just fine. new album out early summer. funny how these rumors start.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 20 2011, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 20 2011, 05:36 PM)
Let's get goobs to listen to this album, c'mon people!

yes.gif Anyone who is a fan of prog rock and/or jazz fusion needs to hear this album.

It fits very well with anything Goobs loves, i think.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 20 2011, 04:20 PM)

yes.gif Anyone who is a fan of prog rock and/or jazz fusion needs to hear this album.

GB&R poked, prodded and cajoled me into listening to 3 songs. Great stuff. I'm sold. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 20 2011, 04:20 PM)

GB&R poked, prodded and cajoled me into listening to 3 songs. Great stuff. I'm sold. yes.gif

Great! What songs?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 07:40 PM)

That's awesome, goobs! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 20 2011, 08:49 PM)

Great! What songs?

I hope one of those songs were Raider II

Great! What songs?

Awesome news, I knew it was for you!

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 21 2011, 12:21 AM)

Great! What songs?

It was Sectarian, Deform to Form a Star, and Remainder the Black Dog if i'm not mistaken; that's what I suggested. I thought Raider II wouldn't be the most accessible part. But oh my GED does that epic get better and better each time! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 21 2011, 01:12 AM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 21 2011, 12:21 AM)

Great! What songs?

It was Sectarian, Deform to Form a Star, and Remainder the Black Dog if i'm not mistaken; that's what I suggested. I thought Raider II wouldn't be the most accessible part. But oh my GED does that epic get better and better each time! ohmy.gif

Those would have been the 3 that I'd suggest. Remainder The Black Dog is one of his best songs ever.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 21 2011, 04:27 PM)
Steven confirmed the 2012 second leg, so hopefully those who couldn't see the show will have the opportunity next year.
http://starsdie.com/wp/steven-wilson-confi...2012-solo-tour/

If he doesn't come to texas I will commit suicide and come back to life a zombie in anger.

How I currently rank the album (including home in negative and fluid tap):

14. Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye

13. Raider Prelude

12. Index

11. Grace For Drowning

10. Fluid Tap

9. Sectarian

8. Belle de Jour

7. Raider II

6. Postcard

5. Deform To Form A Star

4. Home In Negative

3. Track One

2. Remainder The Black Dog

1. No Part Of Me

Damn though, the last 7 are almost tied ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 21 2011, 03:33 PM)
Steven confirmed the 2012 second leg, so hopefully those who couldn't see the show will have the opportunity next year.

If he doesn't come to texas I will commit suicide and come back to life a zombie in anger.

yes.gif I'm with you.

Unless it's like El Paso or somewhere insane like that. It'd take me less time to get to Chicago. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 21 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 21 2011, 03:33 PM)

yes.gif I'm with you.

Unless it's like El Paso or somewhere insane like that. It'd take me less time to get to Chicago. laugh.gif

True that buddy, I didn't know yous was Texan 1022.gif howdy!

Actually, Mexico is in my backyard (almost literally) so maybe I can catch a gig there if it's not too far, but then I might come home in a bodybag laugh.gif

I hope he hits Austin, that's only 4 and a half hours away.