Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

An Enemy Without

So a couple of friends and I went to the movie theater to see Transformers 3. After the movie, we were walking out, and the manager asked us if we would like to see HP7 part 2 for free. I guess it was some kind of early screening or something; I don't know. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. We were all incredibly excited and I have to say, it exceeded all of my expectations. It stayed very true to the novel as well.

So when it comes out on Friday, you should definitely see it. Just to prove I'm not just messing with you, I'll point out the part where it's most obvious that it didn't follow the book.

SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't read the books

It's right after Harry comes back to life. In the book, he and Voldemort have this long conversation about random crap and the elder wand and stuff. However, in the movie, that entire thing is cut out. There is no conversation and we don't learn who controls the elder wand until after Voldemort dies.

Just a minor difference but when you see the movie you'll notice (because I told you so).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaah! I skipped the last part. Hope there wasn't anything important there. o3o

I have read the books multiple times but I want to surprised about what is different. I need to walk into the theatre Friday with no preconceptions... except for those created by the book.

Did anyone else see Emma Watson on Letterman tonight? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He was silly/stupid per usual but she was so... I don't know, the only adjective that comes to mind is "adorable". laugh.gif She really has grown into a very fine, very funny, lighthearted young woman. And she's so talented. You can really see her personality shine in her interviews.

I so can't wait. Eee!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 12 2011, 12:02 AM)
Blaah! I skipped the last part. Hope there wasn't anything important there. o3o

I have read the books multiple times but I want to surprised about what is different. I need to walk into the theatre Friday with no preconceptions... except for those created by the book.

Did anyone else see Emma Watson on Letterman tonight? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He was silly/stupid per usual but she was so... I don't know, the only adjective that comes to mind is "adorable". laugh.gif She really has grown into a very fine, very funny, lighthearted young woman. And she's so talented. You can really see her personality shine in her interviews.

I so can't wait. Eee!

Oh? Then you shouldn't be disappointed.

I love Emma Watson!!! She's so awesome!

Also, what's with your obsession with Giovanni? I kicked his ass multiple times in firered.

Me too! Can't wait to see this!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 12 2011, 11:43 PM)
Looking forward to it.....

Re-watching all the movies before I go and see..

Watching CoS right now.

...when I saw "CoS" I immediately thought, "Caress of Steel" and I went "What?"

Oh how RUSH has ruined me! (Or not. tongue.gif)

I ordered my ticket this morning and am going to the midnight showing tomorrow.. er, Friday, to be exact. My friend and a couple of her friends are coming with, so hopefully we'll all be able to sit together. It was great, though: I just printed off my ticket so I don't even have to wait in a Will Call line! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I also stopped into Hot Topic at the mall and got a grossly overpriced but so worth it HP t-shirt to wear.

I also come bearing artwork for my fellow Potter-philes:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/194/c/3/the_dark_lord_by_roleplay4life-d3o5to7.png

YAAAAAY~ Voldemoooooooort!

(Yes, I drew/airbrushed/painted that. On Oekaki.)

http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/l/a/lapotterplz.gif http://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/2001/41/f/3/Lightning.gifhttp://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/2001/41/f/3/Lightning.gifhttp://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/2001/41/f/3/Lightning.gifhttp://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/2001/41/f/3/Lightning.gif http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/l/a/lamortplz.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 14 2011, 09:20 AM)
I'm not ready for the end... sad.gif

No one is. :C

But for me, the end came in 2007, at midnight when I first cracked open the pages of Deathly Hallows. I remember feeling torn between "OMIGOSH MUST KNOW HOW IT ALL ENDS" and "...I should slow down and enjoy this..." and ultimately the former won. xD I think I finished the book in 24-36 hours.

I actually went back and reread it the past few days in preparation for tonight. I'm a little scared to see what they cut out (because I know there will be cuts and changes, much to my dismay) but I'm also excited to see how the filmmakers interpreted the book. (No spoilers guys!)

I hope they stay true to the initial face-off (right after Harry drops the Resurrection Stone) and of course to the final duel.

Got my tix for tinght's premier. Taking my daughter and her friend...they are making t-shirts. laugh.gif

I plan on reading the first half of the final book out loud in line to build the mood...and kill time.

Probably gonna see this on Monday..

I wanna rewatch all the other movies before seeing this film...... Just finished Goblet of Fire tonight..

I have to say, about that film....If you are a Doctor Who fan, it is really hard to take that film seriously anymore.

I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. As much as I love the series, I don't think paying for absurdly overpriced tickets will really be worth it. I'm also trying my best to avoid it because Tumblr is on this posting spree of all this melodramatic HP bullshit that you can find on any emo blogs. Since I've read all the books, I like having movies to accompany them. The entire Harry Potter franchise has definitely raised the bar when it comes to book and movie series.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 15 2011, 03:16 PM)
Leaving work in an hour to go see it!

bncegrn.gif

Nice! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Owlswing is taking Lina and her friend to see it tonight. I think I'm taking the twins to see it tomorrow. We'll catch it in 3D.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 15 2011, 05:26 PM)
My wife and daughter just got back from seeing it - Both their faces were makeup smeared - biggrin.gif

Mine are just getting back now, and it's the same thing. laugh.gif

I went to the midnight premiere at a local theatre. Everyone was really great, really cordial, and everyone was just having fun. You can read my whole post over at the "what made your day today?" thread, right HERE. :3

I'd tell everyone, Potter fan or not, to see this. It was just that good.

3D picture was amazing. I'll probably go to see this one at least once more, maybe twice!

This is one of the few movies I've seen (The Dark Knight and maybe Iron Man joining it) that have truly been worth seeing in theatres for me. Of course I've seen ALL the Potter movies and many of the superhero/comic book based movies in theatres.. but this one was worth every penny.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Okay, was anyone else upset - more than a little - with the whole Elder Wand dealio at the end? I liked it much better in the book where Harry repaired his original wand with the Elder Wand and then basically hid it for all eternity instead of FREAKING SNAPPING IT. xD

Also I was mad because they left out the whole explanation of why Dumbledore having maybe killed his own sister. I thought that was huge for character development.. or maybe I just felt they didn't touch on that enough.

And finally I was a bit disappointed with the final duel between Harry and Voldemort. I really liked the suspense builder in the book where they were just circling each other, kind of arguing back and forth, Harry practically begging Voldemort to feel some kind of remorse because "I've seen what you'll become," in the protagonist's words, and how they did that not alone but in front of all the Death Eaters and the Hogwarts defenders.

However, I must say this:

Alan Rickman played out the parts involving Snape's memories so beautifully. It was at that point I just started BAWLING. So, so, so heartbreaking. Major kudos to him.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 16 2011, 12:59 AM)
I went to the midnight premiere at a local theatre. Everyone was really great, really cordial, and everyone was just having fun. You can read my whole post over at the "what made your day today?" thread, right HERE. :3

3D picture was amazing. I'll probably go to see this one at least once more, maybe twice!

This is one of the few movies I've seen (The Dark Knight and maybe Iron Man joining it) that have truly been worth seeing in theatres for me. Of course I've seen ALL the Potter movies and many of the superhero/comic book based movies in theatres.. but this one was worth every penny.

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Okay, was anyone else upset - more than a little - with the whole Elder Wand dealio at the end? I liked it much better in the book where Harry repaired his original wand with the Elder Wand and then basically hid it for all eternity instead of FREAKING SNAPPING IT. xD
Also I was mad because they left out the whole explanation of why Dumbledore having maybe killed his own sister. I thought that was huge for character development.. or maybe I just felt they didn't touch on that enough.
And finally I was a bit disappointed with the final duel between Harry and Voldemort. I really liked the suspense builder in the book where they were just circling each other, kind of arguing back and forth, Harry practically begging Voldemort to feel some kind of remorse because "I've seen what you'll become," in the protagonist's words, and how they did that not alone but in front of all the Death Eaters and the Hogwarts defenders.

Alan Rickman played out the parts involving Snape's memories so beautifully. It was at that point I just started BAWLING. So, so, so heartbreaking. Major kudos to him.

Spoiler alert!!

I agree with your spoiler alert. I thought the end kinda sucked. Not only did he return the wand to Dumbledores grave, but he also repaired it. That would have been a nice closure for Harry.

Epic, Epic. Epic.

I have read the books and yes, they made a bunch of changes. But the bottom line is the fim is exceptional. The acting was first rate, the dialogue worked very well. The directiong was terrific. I was tearing up and sniffling in several scenes.

BTW, I'm one of those people that seperates the books from the films and takes the celluloid on its own merits and this one soars.

Ok, just got back from seeing it.

My wife and I saw the 2D version. Why? Well, we didn't want to spend the extra money, and honestly, before I got there I didn't even know there was a 3D version. Every other Harry Potter movie I saw in 2D. Mostly though it was because it meant either see it in 5 minutes or have to wait a couple hours for 3D, and we were hungry. We opted to see a show in 45 minutes and grabbed bite.

Oh yeah, the movie.

Absolutely fantastic - the best of the entire series. We were both deliriously happy with it. A fitting end for a great series of movies (even if the books are still far better).

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 16 2011, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 16 2011, 12:59 AM)

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler alert!!

I agree with your spoiler alert. I thought the end kinda sucked. Not only did he return the wand to Dumbledores grave, but he also repaired it. That would have been a nice closure for Harry.

Phenomenal movie. Very gripping at several moments of the film.

More spoiler talk.

But yes, I do agree that about what is said here. The final battle should have been truer to the book, with Harry breaking Tom down as they circle each other. I also think it should have happened in front of everyone, as it did in the book.

Still, it was an incredible movie. Alan Rickman's performance was astounding. So was Daniel Radcliffe's.

I agree that a lot of the performances were first rate. Radcliffe has really turned in a top notch performance. I also thought the opening scene with Griphook was exceptional and set the stage for something very special.

This is one of the few movies I actually would like to go back to see again. My wife has occasional vertigo so she doesn't like the 3D... my son and I want to go see it in 3D!!

Was the 3D cool? I can imagine the ride thru Gringotts would be pretty awesome in 3D