which is more "silly"??

liddybuck01

Geddy's...  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Geddy's...

• rap on Roll The Bones
    • talking parts on Double Agent

Uh, as much as I like the rap, it is quite silly. laugh.gif

But the dialogue on Double Agent? Silly? NO! EPIC!! It fits surprisingly well and it makes you go, "Wait, what? This is different and unique? Oh, nice!"

..Or, at least, for me it did.

Double Agent freaking rocks. There's no part I don't like on that song.

I wouldn't describe the rapping in 'Roll the Bones' as silly in a derogatory sense, but it does seem a little... fun. Like, not serious.

And I like the talking in 'Double Agent' - I love how it goes from the talking to "Wilderness of mirrors...". Kind of makes the singing part that much more special!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 8 2011, 10:36 PM)
Neither.

yes.gif

BTW, that part in RTB is beat poetry, not rap.

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 9 2011, 01:50 AM)
I wouldn't describe the rapping in 'Roll the Bones' as silly in a derogatory sense, but it does seem a little... fun. Like, not serious.

And I like the talking in 'Double Agent' - I love how it goes from the talking to "Wilderness of mirrors...". Kind of makes the singing part that much more special!

Basically what was bolded in the above quote. yes.gif

Didn't Neil himself say in an interview that it was meant as a sort of satire on rap?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 9 2011, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 9 2011, 01:50 AM)

Basically what was bolded in the above quote. yes.gif

Didn't Neil himself say in an interview that it was meant as a sort of satire on rap?

I think I recall Neil saying in one interview that he'd wanted to have John Cleese do that rap part of Roll The Bones. All I can say is thank God he didn't as, in my own opinion, I think the song would've failed.

I absolutely wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif the rap part of the song. And I really like the spoken part of Double Agent.

And liddybuck01, we know what you mean..! wink.gif

The spoken part of Double Agent has always had a kind of "Film Noir" vibe for me, which I like.

And I've never had a problem with the RTB rap (although can it technically be called a rap if it doesn't contain any reference to popping a cap in someone's ass? wink.gif )

I remember wondering why they were going in the spoken word direction. I was glad when they dropped the technique.

It took a little while for the speaking parts of Double Agent to grow on me, but eventually it did - mostly because I loved the song so much. Now I can't imagine the song without it.

I still don't feel that way about the "rap" in Roll The Bones. Maybe it's because I like the rap artform (sans violent/masochistic content) or maybe because it feels too "cutesy" - like it belongs on a PBS children's show...with Elmo or some $h!t singing it. I don't know. I can listen to it, but I still just don't "get" it.

I don't like either one. I also don't like the verbal diarrhea that's going on in "You Bet Your Life".

I think this topic is just as silly. You're comparing something that is extremely painful to listen to, quite possibly the worst rap ever written in history, to something that I think is actually decent. Dont love those verses in double agent, but they're different and dont make me embarrassed to be a fan of this band when I hear it, unlike RTB.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 9 2011, 09:50 AM)
I don't like either one. I also don't like the verbal diarrhea that's going on in "You Bet Your Life".

Yeah thats bad, the part at the end of the song. It's the kind of thing, I dont know, maybe it was cool at the time, I cant remember, but it has not aged well. It sounds completely ridiculous with all those big words. More proof that Neil is actually a cyborg and not really human.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 9 2011, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 9 2011, 09:50 AM)

Yeah thats bad, the part at the end of the song. It's the kind of thing, I dont know, maybe it was cool at the time, I cant remember, but it has not aged well. It sounds completely ridiculous with all those big words. More proof that Neil is actually a cyborg and not really human.

laugh.gif

music.gif "Bet your life" music.gif

music.gif "(assimilate because resistance is futility)" music.gif

music.gif "Behhht your liiiife" music.gif

Edited by ioc