with all of the talk of remasters...

liddybuck01

Nothing yet on the official remasters. I expect more info will be available after the release of Time Machine or Clockwork Angels.

Two words......Vapor Trails. Everything else should be second fiddle at this point. I would prefer they just re-record the whole record instead. They could do that during the CA sessions if they go smooth. Wishful thinking.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 7 2011, 10:55 PM)
Two words......Vapor Trails. Everything else should be second fiddle at this point. I would prefer they just re-record the whole record instead. They could do that during the CA sessions if they go smooth. Wishful thinking.

I'm dying for a "Hemispheres" gold cd remastered by Steve Hoffman!

"Vapor Trails" is unfixable. JMO

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 8 2011, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 7 2011, 10:55 PM)

I'm dying for a "Hemispheres" gold cd remastered by Steve Hoffman!

"Vapor Trails" is unfixable. JMO

With the current masters or whatever, you may be right.

However, if they re-record it as suggested then I'm pretty sure that would help the sound quality. confused13.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 8 2011, 01:55 AM)

I don't know if I'm really a fan of re-recording, for any band. I mean, it has been nine years since Vapor Trails was released. There is no way they'll get exactly the same sound they did back then (I mean the band's sound -- not necessarily the recording sound). There is a lot more that goes into a record than just playing the music. The feeling, atmosphere they are in, mindset, et cetera, all comes into play. Recall also that this was a very emotional record for the entire band, as it was Neil's first effort since his tragedy.

I, personally, would love to see a remix of the album, and of course a remaster. I will settle for a remaster, of course, if it sounds like Rich Chycki's remastered tracks ("One Little Victory" and "Earthshine") that appeared on Retrospective III.

Edited by Show Don't Tell

I think it would be a cool idea to re-record it. Something they have never attempted before and who knows the songs might come out better and the arrangements might change slightly. I bet they could get their cost back at least by marketing Vapor Trails 2.0 Heck maybe Lifeson could even put some real solos in there:)

Don't know if there are any Cheap Trick fans, but they re-recorded their 1977 album "In Color" sometime in the 1990s. They never released it, but there are boots on the internet.

Of course, Cheap Trick has gone on record to say they were officially dissatisfied with the original record. I don't know if Rush has ever made such a statement concerning "Vapor Trails" however. I only know that the sentiment is the consensus of many of the fans.

Clem

QUOTE (Revizx @ Jul 7 2011, 07:05 PM)
I need era specific vinyl boxsets. My life would be complete.

I love vinyl, but come on. Stuff like that is heavy to carry around. If you're into having your albums on vinyl, whatever. But putting them in boxes would make it worse. Just put them out separately and in boxes. Problem solved for those of us who don't want to lug around 20 or 30 pounds of remastered albums.

OP: This is more than likely going to be announced next year. I have a feeling that either once the 'Time Machine' video comes out, we'll get some news regarding remasters. If not then, I would take a very good guess that we'll hear about them once CA is released. I would also take a guess that the remasters will cover everything from 1974 to 1997 (including live albums perhaps?). VT is getting a remix as we speak if I remember from a post here not too long ago, so that might be released around the time of the new remasters. Once these remasters are out, I think they'll blow the '97 versions away. They'll be the definitive versions, bar none.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 8 2011, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 8 2011, 02:55 PM)
However, if they re-record it as suggested then I'm pretty sure that would help the sound quality. confused13.gif

The problem isn't the quality of the recordings; the problem is the way that they were distorted and compressed during the mixing. They're going back and doing a full remix with Richard Chycki, which will completely eliminate that problem.

I'd be willing to bet that even RushGoober would like it, given that it would get rid of the "every song sounds like noise" effect that he hates so much.

Alas, I'm going to have to go with Earl on this one when he said:

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 10:56 PM)
"Vapor Trails" is unfixable.  JMO

Yes, the production/remastering sucks beyond belief, but the two remixes on the Retrospective disc confirmed for me what I suspected all along, that the songs themselves just don't work. If anything hearing them more clearly only exposed their inherent weaknesses. To me the whole album is a lost cause and a chapter in Rush history best left forgotten.

All IMHO of course... unsure.gif