losingit2k

Better, same or Worse?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Better, same or Worse?

• Better
    • Same
    • Worse
    • haven't decided

Wouldnt On The Wings of Angels be a better name?

Anyway, pretty much sounds the same as what they've been doing for decades. It's a little less 80s thrash than what Portnoy started forcing into the band. With him gone hopefully they'll get away from that bullshit and I might start caring about them again.

Dont like this song much though. It still sounds too tightly structured musically to me which makes it sound very dated. Wish they were a little more organic like Mars Volta is. These guys are great musicians, but the fact that they feel the need to shoehorn their abilities in every song is just not cool anymore. It's really hard to listen to. It's just so lifeless. If this came out in 1976 it would be hot. Today its just really corny sounding.

It's good. It definitely, as many are saying, has a classic DT feel and sound to it but with a fresh taste. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel like there is something missing in the song structure or just the general flow of the song. I think they should have included Mangini in the songwriting process.

But it's still pretty good I guess.

I think the "change" expected to occur in DTs sound after MP left was way over hyped.

just how great of a change can you expect out of a personnel change of one out of five?

particularly when the change is the drummer and not the vocalist, guitarist or keyboards player?

I guess the most change you could hope for would be 20% which is not much of a change and IMO there is less than a 20% change in the sound from BC &SL to this new single.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 4 2011, 12:33 PM)
Same old same old. Dream Theater hasn't impressed me in any way since Octavarium. sad.gif Everything up to that point was gold. Then ever since Systematic Chaos, something has been missing, and I'm not sure what it is.

This.

Since Octavarium, there's been flashes of awesomeness, but nothing as jaw-dropping as what we had before. They seem to have fallen into a formula f writing songs, and most of it sounds like "cut and paste" since Octavarium. I think they need the help of a producer - leaving all the production effort in Portnoy and Petrucci's hands has led them to write the same album over and over again.

This is a great track, very cohesive, and doesn't sound patched together like a lot of their recent material has. The lyrics are surprisingly poignant and political (sounds like Petrucci's been reading Ayn Rand), and the song flat out rocks.

I love it 8/10.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 4 2011, 01:22 PM)
This is a great track, very cohesive, and doesn't sound patched together like a lot of their recent material has. The lyrics are surprisingly poignant and political (sounds like Petrucci's been reading Ayn Rand), and the song flat out rocks.

I love it 8/10.

goodpost.gif

My vote ? Sounds like 1993 . Next

Sounds the same to me.

It reminds me of the problem I have with most DT stuff; as soon as the vocals start, the promise of the intro dies. The melody (or something) in the vocals never lives up to the monumental build up in their songs. Maybe they should go strictly instrumental.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 6 2011, 08:15 AM)
Sounds the same to me.

It reminds me of the problem I have with most DT stuff; as soon as the vocals start, the promise of the intro dies. The melody (or something) in the vocals never lives up to the monumental build up in their songs. Maybe they should go strictly instrumental.

thats why LTE kicks so much ass!

The first liquid tension experiment disc is one of my very faves and i prefer it over a lot of the DT studio work.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 6 2011, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 6 2011, 08:15 AM)
Sounds the same to me.

It reminds me of the problem I have with most DT stuff; as soon as the vocals start, the promise of the intro dies.  The melody (or something) in the vocals never lives up to the monumental build up in their songs.  Maybe they should go strictly instrumental.

thats why LTE kicks so much ass!

The first liquid tension experiment disc is one of my very faves and i prefer it over a lot of the DT studio work.

I need to check that out.