Hitch Hiking Discussion

Mr. Not

yes.gif I have, my hot girlfriend did, her hot girlfriend did, they did together, but mostly separate, my brother did, lots of people I knew did.

Picked up about the same amount I hitched, probably a dozen times

Did is the word !....Last time I can remember would be 1981, here in Phoenix

I don't think I have seen a Hitchhiker in 20+ years dazed025.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2011, 10:05 AM)
Come on, is it really so dangerous? I'm a young adult male, I don't think I'll be raped or killed.

People are afraid of strangers and always expect the worse, I don't understand this, we can't trust fellow man? I'm sure there's a lot more kind people willing to give a ride than psychos who want to abduct you - but this is ruined even for the generous driver since (s)he is paranoid that you're the criminal (you're on the streets, afterall).

Has anyone here hitch hiked? Or picked anyone up? Or have a stories to share (not the mainstream ones of murder we all love, but ones from your friend's friend's experience, rather.)

(I really just wish we just had a light rapid transit system across each state.)

a young fresh-faced middle-class American boy walking alone in the middle of nowhere...yeah, nobody would possibly do anything bad to that kind of person sarcasm.gif

Why don't you just work your ass off for a short time then pay for a bus ticket? Or are you simply a lazy tightwad? tongue.gif

A bit over a decade ago in southern Washington state on our way back to Portland (rainy day of course): My Mighty Joe Young-sized former flatmate and I once picked up a hitchhiker who looked like she was walking away from her [presumed broken down] car some 30 yards away. After 2 minutes in our car she asked if we liked to party and that if we had 2 dollars she would **** ** *** *******. We kept our 2 bucks, dropped her off at the next turn, and wished her good luck.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 2 2011, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2011, 10:05 AM)
Come on, is it really so dangerous? I'm a young adult male, I don't think I'll be raped or killed.

People are afraid of strangers and always expect the worse, I don't understand this, we can't trust fellow man? I'm sure there's a lot more kind people willing to give a ride than psychos who want to abduct you - but this is ruined even for the generous driver since (s)he is paranoid that you're the criminal (you're on the streets, afterall).

Has anyone here hitch hiked? Or picked anyone up? Or have a stories to share (not the mainstream ones of murder we all love, but ones from your friend's friend's experience, rather.)

(I really just wish we just had a light rapid transit system across each state.)

a young fresh-faced middle-class American boy walking alone in the middle of nowhere...yeah, nobody would possibly do anything bad to that kind of person sarcasm.gif

Why don't you just work your ass off for a short time then pay for a bus ticket? Or are you simply a lazy tightwad? tongue.gif

A bit over a decade ago in southern Washington state on our way back to Portland (rainy day of course): My Mighty Joe Young-sized former flatmate and I once picked up a hitchhiker who looked like she was walking away from her [presumed broken down] car some 30 yards away. After 2 minutes in our car she asked if we liked to party and that if we had 2 dollars she would **** ** *** *******. We kept our 2 bucks, dropped her off at the next turn, and wished her good luck.

You totally missed out! tongue.gif

Well, I could spend money for a bus I suppose, but I fear I'll run out cash at some point in the trip which would cause me hopelessness. Getting a job will be a pain of a search, too. If I can do this without sparing a buck, it would be best.

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (J0N @ Jul 3 2011, 04:44 AM)
The hitchhiking itself is half the fun!

If you only listened to the horror stories about things, you'd live a very boring, reclusive life.

Remember this post when you're on your knees, off road somewhere, and some lunatic is slitting your throat.

And when you're laying there, dying, be sure to tell yourself, "Hey! This is FUN!! I hope this is happening to Kenneth!!" eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 3 2011, 12:14 AM)
I do get the impression that hitch hiking today would be safer in Europe, though that's kind of funny since whenever I come by a leaked murder video (which is more than I'd like) it's happening in a forest somewhere there.

Well, at least I heard some good stories. This trip I'm planning will be largely relying on the two websites I posted earlier - so I'll probably visit libraries a lot too (in my opinion, social services like buses should be free.. Hopefully not all libraries are like the ones here in sonoma and don't require a card for internet - that could be a huge hassle)..

Now, knowing that I'll still be getting in cars with strangers (or, I could take the bus from time to time, but it's expensive) if I do this, I'm going to definitely check on the reviews for the drivers/couch bearers on the websites.. Hopefully I'll recognize any rigs, too.

Does this say you see a lot of videos of murders in the woods?

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 3 2011, 01:21 PM)

If you only listened to the horror stories about things, you'd live a very boring, reclusive life.

Remember this post when you're on your knees, off road somewhere, and some lunatic is slitting your throat.

And when you're laying there, dying, be sure to tell yourself, "Hey! This is FUN!! I hope this is happening to Kenneth!!" eyesre4.gif

I'll be sure never to go shopping either, because someone will mug me.

I won't go back to university 'cos some student will go on a killing spree.

I'll never fly again as the will be plane hijacked.

Can't go to the bank because I'll be taken hostage during a heist.

I can't even stay in my own house as someone's gonna break in and kill me while I'm asleep.

Everyone's out to get me scared.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 3 2011, 10:08 AM)
final thought:

if you feel the risk (your life) seems worth the reward, K

go for it

You're gonna die sometime Ghosty, you might as well go down in the clutches of mass murderer of the road tonight, rather than drooling into your scraggly old man's beard when you're 90. Go on get out there and show some spark, you know you want to! Hitch like no one ever hitched before!!

cool10.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 3 2011, 06:40 AM)
I do get the impression that hitch hiking today would be safer in Europe, though that's kind of funny since whenever I come by a leaked murder video (which is more than I'd like) it's happening in a forest somewhere there.

Well, at least I heard some good stories. This trip I'm planning will be largely relying on the two websites I posted earlier - so I'll probably visit libraries a lot too (in my opinion, social services like buses should be free.. Hopefully not all libraries are like the ones here in sonoma and don't require a card for internet - that could be a huge hassle)..

Now, knowing that I'll still be getting in cars with strangers (or, I could take the bus from time to time, but it's expensive) if I do this, I'm going to definitely check on the reviews for the drivers/couch bearers on the websites.. Hopefully I'll recognize any rigs, too.

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

QUOTE (J0N @ Jul 3 2011, 10:55 AM)

I can't even stay in my own house as someone's gonna break in and kill me while I'm asleep.

I understand the "It's not worth the risk" mentality, but I honestly don't get this "It's suicide!" one.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 3 2011, 03:52 PM)

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

I understand the "It's not worth the risk" mentality, but I honestly don't get this "It's suicide!" one.

How exactly do you come across so many murder videos?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 3 2011, 01:36 PM)

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

Couldn't tell ya, browsing all over the web brings me to such things, and I have to know (hey, it's more worthwhile than meme browsing wink.gif )

The latest video I saw was of a few "vigilantes" killing homeless in the woods (in Russia?) because they would eat stray cats and dogs. The first minute of the video started with a recording of remains of the animals around their camp. They recorded the murder too, beats me why people do this, I'm sure there was more to it than justice, especially with the way they killed them. Oh well, the world's got some f*cked people I guess.

(anyways, even though this will probably happen to me on my trip, this is kind of deterring from the subject)

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 3 2011, 05:01 PM)

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

Couldn't tell ya, browsing all over the web brings me to such things, and I have to know (hey, it's more worthwhile than meme browsing wink.gif )

The latest video I saw was of a few "vigilantes" killing homeless in the woods (in Russia?) because they would eat stray cats and dogs. The first minute of the video started with a recording of remains of the animals around their camp. They recorded the murder too, beats me why people do this, I'm sure there was more to it than justice, especially with the way they killed them. Oh well, the world's got some f*cked people I guess.

(anyways, even though this will probably happen to me on my trip, this is kind of deterring from the subject)

yeah, didn't mean to hijack. I'm just a little amazed that people make these videos since they are ultimately evidence and I'm also interested in why anyone would want to watch them. I certainly have no interest.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 3 2011, 05:32 PM)

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

yeah, didn't mean to hijack. I'm just a little amazed that people make these videos since they are ultimately evidence and I'm also interested in why anyone would want to watch them. I certainly have no interest.

A very small minority of people who watch these videos are twisted or dangerous themselves. The latest video I just mentioned I saw 2 months back. Most of the recorded murders found online are leaked from cases, so at least you know the murder is locked up for life. Just another little cranny in the internet.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 4 2011, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 3 2011, 05:32 PM)

Yeah eh.gif

Curiosity killed the Cat

A very small minority of people who watch these videos are twisted or dangerous themselves.

How would anyone ever know what percentage of those who watch those vids are twisted or dangerous? Is there some questionaire that asks viewers if they're twisted or dangerous before the video starts? tongue.gif

Hell, some folks might even call you twisted for watching those.

I can imagine it now...you get picked up in the middle of the Mohave desert by some harmless-looking geeky horned-rimmed glasses guy driving a late 70's Chevy station wagon. Unbeknownst to you, the guy's actually a serial killer with over 3 dozen skulls of dudes named Kenneth hidden under a tarp in the back. After about half an hour of nervous silence in the moving car, you try to break the ice and clumsily start talking about those videos. The geeky serial killer grins then answers, "You know, I actually have seen some of those. Some might even say, I'm a big fan of them." ph34r.gif

QUOTE (J0N @ Jul 3 2011, 06:44 PM)

You know, that last sentence is macho bullshit. Yay, you came out unscathed and you actually met someone cool. Congratulations. I have definitely heard more good than bad but that shouldn't be the end all to decide to go out and do it.

Yeah, traveling and meeting new people is definitely fun. Believe me, it's my favorite hobby. But you can do both without having to hitchhike.

Just thought I would give an update about hitch hiking

Saturday 9/17, about 1pm I was Hitchhiking ! yes.gif

Needed a ride about 4 miles & stuck my Thumb out & it took about 10 minutes for a ride,

Nice hispanic couple picked me up.

I just read an article in the paper yesterday,

about a trucker who was convicted of murdering

three prositutes(sp?) in South-eastern U.S., and dumping

their bodies along interstate truck-stops.....YIKES! scared.gif

Hitch-hiking is never a good idea,imo.

Too much can go wrong.You don't know who you're

dealing with, for one thing.It's not the innocent 60's

anymore..where everything was peace-love-dove-drugs

(mostly weed!!).Times have drastically changed,needless to say.

Back in those days it was: gas-grass or ass!

Now, the psycho's want an arm and a leg--literally. unsure.gif

Today, i wouldn't thumb it for anything in the world..too risky.

..Unless it was a grampa/gramma couple pickin' ya up..

then it might be alright..maybe. confused13.gif no.gif