Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures?

Czarcasm

My top 2 Rush albums, with my #1 being Permanent Waves by the slimmest of margins. Also I give side 1 of PW the slight edge over side 1 of MP. Those 3 songs plus Natural Science make it into my top 10 Rush songs list.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (scottybhp @ Jun 30 2011, 06:49 PM)
Pictures while decent is probably also the most overrated imo.

eh.gif Ever think why it was so popular? Maybe it was because it was so good! yes.gif

1022.gif MOVING PICTURES FTW!!! 1022.gif

laugh.gif

Because popular always equals good, right?

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 05:57 PM)

eh.gif Ever think why it was so popular? Maybe it was because it was so good! yes.gif

Didn't say it was bad.

Moving Pictures is my choice of the two. Permanent Waves is a good album. However, Jacob's Ladder just plods along but it's not a bad song.

I like Natural Science, but my interest in it faded after awhile.

Spirit of Radio also wore out it's welcome. "Freewill", "Entre Nous" and "Different Strings" are the standout tunes for me on Permanent Waves.

Moving Pictures seems to offer a bit more variety. I agree with Neil in that it's 7 vignettes - each telling a story and each cinematic and visual.

I'm tired of Tom Sawyer and Limelight, but the riffs are unforgettable.

The Camera Eye is a pleasing listen with a great climax.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 30 2011, 07:15 PM)
Moving Pictures is my choice of the two. Permanent Waves is a good album. However, Jacob's Ladder just plods along but it's not a bad song.

I like Natural Science, but my interest in it faded after awhile.

Spirit of Radio also wore out it's welcome. "Freewill", "Entre Nous" and "Different Strings" are the standout tunes for me on Permanent Waves.

Moving Pictures seems to offer a bit more variety. I agree with Neil in that it's 7 vignettes - each telling a story and each cinematic and visual.

I'm tired of Tom Sawyer and Limelight, but the riffs are unforgettable.

The Camera Eye is a pleasing listen with a great climax.

Great post! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 30 2011, 07:13 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

It does to some people. I've yet to figure out why.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 10:10 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I never said popular equals good. I simply said that MP is good and popular, and maybe it's popularity was helped by its amazing-ness. confused13.gif

And in some cases, being popular does not mean good. no.gif (Think Yes sell-out during the 80s wink.gif)

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 30 2011, 12:25 AM)
My ranking of all 13 songs:

Natural Science
The Camera Eye
The Spirit of Radio
Red Barchetta
Freewill
Limelight
Vital Signs
Jacob's Ladder
Witch Hunt
YYZ
Entre Nous
Tom Sawyer
Different Strings

That being said, I don't know which is better tongue.gif

Why is DS at the bottom? wtf.gif facepalm.gif eh.gif

Because, from an objective standpoint, it is the worst song off of both albums.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 30 2011, 10:33 PM)
Because, from an objective standpoint, it is the worst song off of both albums.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VKnlNvwbGMM/S__trtnHHhI/AAAAAAAABbI/SOjCTBr8gok/s400/Inigo.jpg

The quality of that song hinges entirely on whether the brilliant chorus outweighs the meandering verses and drawn-out non-ending. Which is subjective.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 10:10 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I never said popular equals good. I simply said that MP is good and popular, and maybe it's popularity was helped by its amazing-ness. confused13.gif

And in some cases, being popular does not mean good. no.gif (Think Yes sell-out during the 80s wink.gif)

I agree popular doesn't always mean good. Take most of today's "popular music" for example. biggrin.gif There's no accounting for tastes, even mine.

IMO Permanant Waves is just a more solid album. To me Pictures is good all the way thru Camera Eye, but then Witch Hunt bores me and Vital Signs is just cheezy.

Edited by scottybhp

Not saying it's not a great album, but frankly, I think it's more that the perception of its towering amazingness was helped by its popularity rather than the its popularity was caused by its towering amazingness. I think when an album goes massive like that, it tends to be more of a right-sound-at-the-right-time thing than a definitive statement of a particular album's quality.

Moving Pictures, hands down. It's that rare album that crosses over commercially, but doesn't compromise. In my book, it's up there with Dark Side of the Moon, in terms of artistic achievement and record sales. To this very day, listening to it can give me goose bumps! Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 1 2011, 04:29 PM)
Moving Pictures, hands down. It's that rare album that crosses over commercially, but doesn't compromise. In my book, it's up there with Dark Side of the Moon, in terms of artistic achievement and record sales. To this very day, listening to it can give me goose bumps!

goodpost.gif DSOTM, while not the best Pink Floyd album, is a good comparison. yes.gif Awesome and popular.

With the exception of Different Strings, every other second of Permanent Waves is absolute gold....with Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science 2 of my top 5 favorite Rush songs.

With MP, I consider Camera Eye overrated, and Witch Hunt and Vital Signs kinda weak compared to PW.

Thus, the correct answer is Permanent Waves!

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 1 2011, 06:03 PM)
Moving Pictures. I'd prefer Permanent Waves, though, if "Jacob's Ladder" had two (good) shorter tracks in its place.

This. yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 08:32 PM)
Moving Pictures.  I'd prefer Permanent Waves, though, if "Jacob's Ladder" had two (good) shorter tracks in its place.

This. yes.gif

You guys are nuts! "Jacob's Ladder" rules!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 06:32 PM)
Moving Pictures.  I'd prefer Permanent Waves, though, if "Jacob's Ladder" had two (good) shorter tracks in its place.

This. yes.gif

I can't believe this; I have the same taste in music as a Test for Echo fan. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-psyboom.gif

I will go with Permanent Waves. I really like Freewill, Spirit of Radio, and Natural Science. Out of Moving Pictures, the only one that really stands out to me is Limelight. Don't particularly dislike any- and YYZ is my favorite instrumental- but otherwise Permanent Waves wins.

Permanent Waves, simply because it was a mix of the old and new. Proggy, yet commercial. Moving Pictures, simply ISN'T a prog record ( I DARE someone to say that Tom Sawyer is proggy simply because it's fast and complex. Same with Camera Eye being long.)

Really tough choice here. I actually like what someone said earlier about looking at them as a double album. Permanent Waves' production is unparalleled, and Im tired of alot of the MP tunes, I have to give the edge to the latter. Theres a reason why MP is the classic it is.