If You Could Dump Two Songs On The Second Leg And

RUSHHEAD666

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 28 2011, 05:30 AM)
NOBODY is dumping Presto? Seriously?

Dump Time Stand Still for Time & Motion
Dump Presto for Peaceable Kingdom

I'd dump Presto in a heartbeat other than the fact that it is somewhat of a 'surprise' tune that we'd never seen live before. For that reason, there are tunes that I like more that I would drop before Presto.

Faithless for Earthshine or Peacable Kingdom

Marathon for Mystic Rhythms

Boy! That was harder than I originally thought...

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 26 2011, 11:00 AM)

Unrealistically, I'm sure:Tom Sawyer for Hemispheres

More realistic: SoR for Far Cry

They did Spirit of Radio and Far Cry on this tour.

My picks:

Faithless for The Pass

Stick it Out for Grand Designs

Ok if we assume the Time Machine is a real working device and it actually makes everyone the correct age for when the songs were written:

"I think I'm going bald" for "Stick it out"

"Between the wheels" was good live for "Faithless"

Dump, Workin them angels, Faithless, and BU2B

Replace them with...

Secret Touch

Available Light

A Farewell To Kings

1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 1 2011, 01:50 AM)
Faithless for We Hold On
BU2B for Peacable Kingdom or Out of the Cradle or OLV or Ghost Rider ...

Wow! Another Rush fan who loves "We Hold On."

Talk about a great song. I love the way the song closes out the "S&A" record.

"We Hold On" should be in the set list next year.

I love how "Available Light" closes out "Presto" too. Yet another song I would love to see live.

There is always "Hope" since the greatest band in the world is still going strong! 1287.gif

Rush Rules! 1022.gif

There are a lot of 'close out' songs, beside Available Light and We Hold On, I'd like to hear live:

Between The Wheels

Countdown

Mystic Rhythms

Out Of The Cradle

High Water

or the older ones

Cygnus X-I Book I

Natural Science

In The End

just to mention a few

OUT - Stick it out & Tom Sawyee.

IN - Available Light & hmmm... so many... erm... Madrigal, Different Strings, A Farewell to Kings, The Stars Look Down, Between Sun & Moon...

I am also in total agreement with OUT MP, IN COS, not that I dislike MP but COS live would be total genius - even to a genius!

Working Man would have to stay due to it's "closure" factor - effectively Rush's career took off when Donna Halper heard & started playing WM on WMMS in Cleveland in 1974, & I guess (well, I'm sure) the boys have DVD'd Cleveland on this tour as a nod to that starting point.

For the same reason I think Time Stand Still needs to stay - very much an "end of the summer" "looking back" type of song - "old friends growing older" is now surely as much a nod to "us" - the people who have followed Rush for spans of geological time, as it was to whoever it referred to in the mid '80's. In many ways this song works even better with the boys being at this stage in their lives (& we at ours ?) that it did when it was written.

I also think Closer To The Heart is another nod to "closure" - a song which allegedly at least one member of the band never wanted to play live again, but such an audience singalong in the past that it is back again to say bye-bye ? (that doesn't mean I wouldn't change it though!)

I think some songs (& maybe not just/even the above ones ?) are in the set-list for certain "deeper" reasons - not just because one has a nice bass line or whatever ?

...then again I might be talking a load of rubbish & the songs are just "here because they're here" wink.gif

Edited by HorsemanOfTheApocalypse

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 1 2011, 01:50 AM)
Faithless for We Hold On
BU2B for Peacable Kingdom or Out of the Cradle or OLV or Ghost Rider ...

Wow! Another Rush fan who loves "We Hold On."

Talk about a great song. I love the way the song closes out the "S&A" record.

"We Hold On" should be in the set list next year.

I love how "Available Light" closes out "Presto" too. Yet another song I would love to see live.

There is always "Hope" since the greatest band in the world is still going strong! 1287.gif

Rush Rules! 1022.gif

Available Light would also be close to perfect as a replacement - for Stick it Out, say.

We Hold On is among the best on S&A (my Nr. 6 after Far Cry, the instrumentals and The Way The wind Blows), despite some minor flaws (it's a bit too long, but, hey, Hemispheres could have done with some minutes less). A fine piece of songwriting.

I had come to think they lost the skills of ending a record appropriately after the mid eighties (All the closers between PoW and TfE are not that great for me, with the notable exception of Available Light), but then they came up with Out of the Cradle (fine enough, though it gets some bashing here, even more as VT in general) and, even better, We Hold On.

They've played nearly every song off S&A now, so why not add the last missing GOOD one?

ONLY two? I think if given the option, I'd be dumping half the setlist...

OUT:

Faithless

Workin' Them Angels

The fact that S&A has 3 songs yet Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, and Vapor Trails don't even get touched ticked me off. So to compensate for at least some of those albums, I'd put in Test for Echo and Dreamline.

QUOTE (Scars @ Jul 1 2011, 07:09 PM)

OUT:
Faithless
Workin' Them Angels

The fact that S&A has 3 songs yet Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, and Vapor Trails don't even get touched ticked me off. So to compensate for at least some of those albums, I'd put in Test for Echo and Dreamline.

dreamline??... 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 2 2011, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jul 1 2011, 07:09 PM)

OUT:
Faithless
Workin' Them Angels

...ironically in 2004 I think (off the top of my head) the only album not represented was Presto ?