Nook vs. Kindle

cfmoran13

So, my wife is interested in getting one of these digital readers. And, since I'm the one who deals with the technology stuff, I've taken it upon myself to try and decide which she should get. Aside from reading up on the 2 of them, I'm also looking for opinions of those from some forums I frequent as to which they prefer and why.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2011, 12:30 PM)
No help from me, but I'm interested to know what you've found out so far.

Yeah, I was going to post nearly the same thing. I'm interested in one or the other for my daughter and possibly my wife. I'd love to know which one is considered the better choice, and why.

I am going to buy the Kindle for my wife for her birthday next week. My brother-in-law has one and we like the look and feel. It's a good deal cheaper than a Sony too.

I will probably install Calibre on her laptop to go with it.

I bought my wife a Nook for Christmas and she loves it. You can get more books with the Nook I believe, and I think you can check out Ebooks from the library and share them with other people who have Nooks. I don't know if you can do that with the Kindle.

Nook vs. Kindle, Which do you have...?

Neither. So far, I've resisted the urge to replace books with yet another electronic screen which requires me to keep track of yet another battery-charging device in my house.

I may succumb to a Nook or Kindle sometime in the future, but for now I'm still reading BOOKS.

I think with the success of these devices, we're beginning the slow march to a time when "print is dead," as Dr. Egon Spengler had the foresight to know back in 1986. wink.gif

I've bought a Kindle for someone and had a chance to play around with it whilst I was setting it up for them, and they're . . .okay, I think. They do streamline the whole book reading experience in a way that feels somewhat natural (not as natural as iBooks' "turn the page with the touchscreen" way, but you don't get the self-awareness of "God, I'm reading a bloody computer screen" so much) and it's . . .not bad.

And the screen isn't so terribly "if you tilt it the wrong way, you can't read anything," which is nice.

I can't say you won't miss books--I buy a lot of books still--but it's a handy way to keep some that you would like to read but don't really need a hard copy of.

Your mileage may vary, obviously.

I have a Kindle, and I love it. It isn't in color, but it's a good deal cheaper. My boyfriend has a Nook, and from what I've observed, the Nook glitches a lot. I've never had a problem with my Kindle. The libraries for both are basically the same, and I'm pretty sure the Nook doesn't have as many classics available for free like the Kindle does.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 17 2011, 12:19 PM)
Nook vs. Kindle, Which do you have...?

Neither. So far, I've resisted the urge to replace books with yet another electronic screen which requires me to keep track of yet another battery-charging device in my house.

I may succumb to a Nook or Kindle sometime in the future, but for now I'm still reading BOOKS.

I think with the success of these devices, we're beginning the slow march to a time when "print is dead," as Dr. Egon Spengler had the foresight to know back in 1986. wink.gif

I understand that many people prefer books, but I don't understand the hostility (for lack of a better word) towards eReaders. It's simply a different way to read books. It isn't destroying books. It's a way to have several books at hand. Books are also cheaper on the Kindle. Print isn't necessarily dead, it's just catching up.

Also, no paper-cuts! tongue.gif

I'm getting an eReader, probably the Nook, this summer for college.

Why? My dorm is tiny, tiny, tiny (or it will be) and I won't have room for my entire bookshelf. Any books I do have room for will be textbooks. However, I still enjoy reading for pleasure, and an eReader is just the logical choice. confused13.gif

I was surprised when I first started hearing about nooks and kindles. I remember when the concept of the e-book first appeared. They didn't seem to do so well, but I wasn't surprised. I was definitely of the mindset of "who on earth would want to read a book off a computer?"

My in-laws have them and brought them when they were visiting - they looked kind of cool, but honestly I personally have ZERO interest in one. I want to read a damn physical book. My wife, however, really wants one, so I'm curious to see how this conversation goes.

I think the written word is what's important, the medium is irrelevant. I am not sure what exactly a "purist" is in this context, snob maybe. I have a degree in Literature and wish e-books were around in the 70s. Books are just paper, not sacred text.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 17 2011, 03:57 PM)
I think the written word is what's important, the medium is irrelevant. I am not sure what exactly a "purist" is in this context, snob maybe. I have a degree in Literature and wish e-books were around in the 70s. Books are just paper, not sacred text.

Putting the words of a book on a computer screen just seems kind of cold to me. There's nothing like having an old fashioned physical, tangible BOOK to carry around and pick up and put down and put on a shelf. It's comfortable. It's the same words, but it just feels more real and cozy to me.

I read TONS on the internet, on a computer. If I want to read a book, however, I want a physical book, not just data. Similarly, I like a physical medium for music, not just bytes on a computer (especially if the files are compressed).

I don't think of it as snobbish, just a personal artistic preference. My wife wants a kindle/nook. I don't judge her for it. Maybe one day I won't mind, but for now don't take away my books.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 17 2011, 06:24 PM)
...Putting the words of a book on a computer screen just seems kind of cold to me. There's nothing like having an old fashioned physical, tangible BOOK to carry around and pick up and put down and put on a shelf. It's comfortable. It's the same words, but it just feels more real and cozy to me. ...

Same here. But, you know, you've got to roll with the changes.

(Cue music. laugh.gif)

And I must say computers are a great thing.. for authors.

After doing NaNoWriMo now TWICE I can honestly say I can't even fathom hand-writing 50,000 words in 30 days. My hand cramps up just thinking about taking that on. Of course there's nothing like seeing your story in print, on paper, and having it go directly to another file document is kind of... boring.

I even print out my stupid little fan-fiction projects just to have something tangible. ^^;

So no, books aren't sacred.. but they are nice. Like Goobs said, an artistic preference.

(Besides computers are hard on your eyes.)

Me and the girlfriend were talking about getting a kindle just the other day, then I saw this posted on another website.

Gonna wait and see what this product turns out like, and if it is the stated price, and gets good enough reviews i'll have one.

I just got a Kindle for my birthday and I am LOVING IT! I tend to read many books at a time due to my low attention span, so carrying around a slim, portable device containing all of them is much more preferred than carrying the equal weight in printed books. I still read books from the library so I'm not entirely off actual books, but this makes buying books a whole lot better. Plus I have no storage room for books anymore.

I wish it had a backlight, that is my only gripe. I tend to like to read in the middle of the night if I wake up and can't fall back asleep and it sucks having to turn the light on for the entire room.

Plus, I can honestly say that I read much more speedily and quickly on a Kindle than actual books. It's like I can finish a book faster using an eReader for some reason.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 18 2011, 01:26 PM)
my kids each have one (kindle and Nook), I have used both and prefer the Kindle.

today my wife and I wen to a Barnes & Noble and asked questions about the nook, and the nook vs. kindle.

one supreme advantage a nook seems to have is that it also has a wifi internet, so not only can you download and read books, but also use it as a computer, especially on the go. it also has games, apps, etc.

this seems a lot more of an alluring proposition to me than a device which is merely used for books.

thoughts?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 18 2011, 01:26 PM)
my kids each have one (kindle and Nook), I have used both and prefer the Kindle.

today my wife and I wen to a Barnes & Noble and asked questions about the nook, and the nook vs. kindle.

one supreme advantage a nook seems to have is that it also has a wifi internet, so not only can you download and read books, but also use it as a computer, especially on the go. it also has games, apps, etc.

this seems a lot more of an alluring proposition to me than a device which is merely used for books.

thoughts?

Now see, that's why I don't want one of those -- I don't want a "tablet".

I have a tendency to get easily distracted by the internet (and computers in general) so trying to focus on a book while having the allure of "teh interwebs" right at my fingertips would be terrible. I'm just not that self-disciplined. I want my book, and only my book, and nothing else. I don't even answer my phone or check my texts if I'm reading/studying/etc. because I know I'll eat up half an hour on the blasted thing.

I do not want nor need all the gadgets. I just want my books!

What's hilarious about the e-book phenomenon, is that 40-60 year old women are now becoming casual pirates.

pdfs are so easy to rip and download a Grandma can do it!

Edited by Kenneth

I found this side by side comparison article which may help some folks (like me) who are new to looking into eBook readers and the differences between the Nook and Kindle's various models. Unfortunately, it dates back to November, 2010 and at least one of the links to the individual reviews are a bit older. Still, I'm getting a lot out of it and I hope it helps you as well.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372819,00.asp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Kindle_Nook.jpg

Edited by Pags

Okay so here is another question that has arisen at the Pags' kitchen table:

Does the 3G versions of either Kindle/Nook allow you to browse the internet using the 3G connection, or is it just for the purpose of downloading books from a focused site?

Anyone?