Atheist, Agnostic, or Deist?

IChoseFreeWill

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 31 2011, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 31 2011, 09:44 PM)
I sometimes wish Neil was a Christian.  Then he'd stop writing about religion and go back to writing about cars, trees, storms, and strange houses. smile.gif

Only if he lays off the Hobbits.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 31 2011, 08:45 PM)
I sometimes wish Neil was a Christian.  Then he'd stop writing about religion and go back to writing about cars, trees, storms, and strange houses. smile.gif

Only if he lays off the Hobbits.

goodpost.gif

Spot on

I sometimes wish Neil was a Christian. Then he'd stop writing about religion and go back to writing about cars, trees, storms, and strange houses. smile.gif

rofl3.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 31 2011, 08:44 PM)
I sometimes wish Neil was a Christian. Then he'd stop writing about religion and go back to writing about cars, trees, storms, and strange houses. smile.gif

With you on that, but maybe then he would start singing about religion in a positive way, and I DO NOT need that either.

I just wish he would sing about other things. Alright, we get it with S&A and how spiteful and negative that album is, but now CW? Awesome. Quite possibly their last album is about religion.... AGAIN????

Just wish they would do a 180 and sing songs that arent so preachy and like you said, sing about a car, or whatever the hell else, Id rather listen to them write about cupcakes.

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 31 2011, 04:20 PM)
As long as the music is great, i don't give a rats ass

Great like Snakes And Arrows? laugh.gif

My honest opinion.

I think if Neal had not had such tragedy in his life, losing his wife and daughter, he would not be such a cynical person today, and his lyrics would be different then then currently are.

I may be wrong but that is honestly what I think.

For some things you experience in life, time does not heal, and sufficient answers never come.

Sometimes we are left living with the question, "why?"are whole lives, never having total peace.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 1 2011, 05:31 AM)
My honest opinion.
I think if Neal had not had such tragedy in his life, losing his wife and daughter, he would not be such a cynical person today, and his lyrics would be different then then currently are.
For some things you experience in life, time does not heal, and sufficient answers never come.
Sometimes we are left living with the question, "why?"are whole lives, never having total peace.

I agree. Those events definitely changed his life. How can we expect him to write songs as if nothing had ever happened? That's just not possible.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ May 30 2011, 04:23 PM)
Specifically, what spiritual beliefs- if any- do the Rush band members have? While many of their songs do protest organized religion and other related concepts (such as superstition, astrology, or predestination)- the truth is that none of their songs seems downright denying the existence of a higher power. In fact, Prime Mover seems to indicate that there is one- albeit one that gives the humans autonomy.

So what are their spiritualities? I am not talking about what religion they were raised in or what holidays they celebrate. I am talking about what they believe spiritually.

I totally agree.

And don't forget what is perhaps Neil's most spiritual song ever: "Mystic Rhythms," which seems to promote DEIST beliefs, or at least an appreciation for the spiritual and mystical unknown. With that exception and "Prime Mover," he mostly comes down on religion pretty hard - at least the "organized" religions, the "faiths that were ready made" or pre-existing.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 1 2011, 07:44 AM)
My honest opinion.

I agree. Those events definitely changed his life. How can we expect him to write songs as if nothing had ever happened? That's just not possible.

I'm sure those events "changed him," but you guys are both ignoring an obvious fact: he was highly critical of religion well before the tragic deaths of his daughter and wife.

And, if anything, he's lightened up some since then, and is more open.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2011, 06:13 AM)
My honest opinion.

I'm sure those events "changed him," but you guys are both ignoring an obvious fact: he was highly critical of religion well before the tragic deaths of his daughter and wife.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 1 2011, 08:44 AM)
My honest opinion.

I don't expect him to. I would as well. He always did write religious stuff, but now he seems much more jaded and cynical then ever.

Imo.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2011, 09:21 AM)

Yep.

That's a pretty good summation. trink39.gif yes.gif 1022.gif

I just happen to know that metaldad hates Snakes And Arrows, so I guess that means he does give a rats ass? laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 1 2011, 07:24 AM)

comp26.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 1 2011, 09:52 AM)

comp26.gif laugh.gif

Still hasn't grown on you yet, huh? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2011, 08:54 AM)

comp26.gif laugh.gif

After trying for years i realized i will never listen to it agian . Spindrift on i-pod shuffle ? Maybe biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 1 2011, 09:58 AM)

comp26.gif laugh.gif

After trying for years i realized i will never listen to it agian . Spindrift on i-pod shuffle ? Maybe biggrin.gif

Spindrift, agreed!

I still think Far Cry is a great song. Ditto Good News First and MalNar.

Those songs have good shelf value for me. The rest of it is take it or leave it at this point, I have to be in the mood to listen to the rest of the album.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2011, 06:12 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 1 2011, 09:58 AM)

comp26.gif laugh.gif

Spindrift, agreed!

I still think Far Cry is a great song. Ditto Good News First and MalNar.

Those songs have good shelf value for me. The rest of it is take it or leave it at this point, I have to be in the mood to listen to the rest of the album.

What about Armor and Sword? The Main Monkey Business?

I think that's some good stuff right there....

yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 31 2011, 08:51 PM)

rofl3.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Every symbol Tommy used.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 1 2011, 06:26 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 1 2011, 08:44 AM)
My honest opinion.

I don't expect him to. I would as well. He always did write religious stuff, but now he seems much more jaded and cynical then ever.

Imo.

In some ways, yes. But he also seems to be more appreciative in other ways. Since none of us can really get inside his head, we can't know exactly what he is thinking when he writes a lyric.

As far as religion goes, he's always been down on organized religion and on using it as an excuse. That hasn't changed.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jun 1 2011, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2011, 06:13 AM)
My honest opinion.

goodpost.gif

Rush is more than just great music; it's a lyrical philosphy as well. Freewill and 2112 and Hemispheres and Big Money are more than just music; the lyrics are BIG. I'm not one to readily dismiss their (Neil's + Geddy's) *chosen* poetic statements, for the words are as much a statement as the music, if not more so. There are likely many more statements they collectively chose NOT to sing; what they did choose therefore is a conscious and BIGGER statement.

Neil's views are obvious before the tragedy (Freewill, Cold Fire, Ghost of a Chance, Prime Mover, Bet Your Life, Circumstances) . They are views I share and which shaped my life as an enlightened individual, and views which I believe not only our Founding Fathers but many more pragmatic philosphers would espouse. But that's neither here nor there.

Life experience opens up or ages one's experience. Events are seen through filters (Prime Mover), and are used to confirm one's views. The fine lines between agnostic/deist/atheist are enough against the grain to at least acknowledge the general gist of where RUSH stands. Reconciling your own personal views which disagree with these views presents your own personal set of "cognitive dissonance reconciliation", but for those of us who live by a more pragmatic set of values and cultural understanding, the RUSH truths are self-evident.

Bottomline? Rush are not Muslims, nor Hindis, nor Buddhists, nor Christians, nor Scientologists, nor worshippers of Thor, nor Zeus, nor Rah, nor Krishna, nor... what are the rest of those mythologies mentioned in "Totem".... I forget...

1022.gif

Edited by psionic11

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 3 2011, 06:05 AM)
Neil's views are obvious before the tragedy (Freewill, Cold Fire, Ghost of a Chance, Prime Mover, Bet Your Life, Circumstances) . They are views I share and which shaped my life as an enlightened individual, and views which I believe not only our Founding Fathers but many more pragmatic philosphers would espouse. But that's neither here nor there.

WTF has anything Neil ever wrote got to do with the "Founding Fathers"?

Sure as Eggs is Eggs they'd have claooed him in irons and had him working on their plantations.

Kids, if you want to run your lives based on the musings of a Canadian lyricist then listen to Canadia's finest - LIPS!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 05:50 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 3 2011, 06:05 AM)
Neil's views are obvious before the tragedy (Freewill, Cold Fire, Ghost of a Chance, Prime Mover, Bet Your Life, Circumstances) .  They are views I share and which shaped my life as an enlightened individual, and views which I believe not only our Founding Fathers but many more pragmatic philosphers would espouse.  But that's neither here nor there.

WTF has anything Neil ever wrote got to do with the "Founding Fathers"?

Sure as Eggs is Eggs they'd have claooed him in irons and had him working on their plantations.

Kids, if you want to run your lives based on the musings of a Canadian lyricist then listen to Canadia's finest - LIPS!!!!!!!!!

really? our founding fathers would have enslaved a white canadian? your posts make about as much sense as a grandpa simpson rant.