Cut to the Chase

rush22112

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
They should play this instead of Stick it Out if they're going to do a Counterparts song.

no.gif SIO is 100x better. 1022.gif

Cut to the Chase is pretty good, but it pales in comparison to the songs around it on CP, IMO

They should play this instead of Stick it Out if they're going to do a Counterparts song.

yes.gif

In addition to that one, I'd love to hear "Alien Shore", another song from the record that hasn't been played live.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 27 2011, 07:30 PM)

yes.gif

In addition to that one, I'd love to hear "Alien Shore", another song from the record that hasn't been played live.

Yes, I agree, Alien Shore is a good and seemingly underrated (by most people) song. I like how each verse has got a slightly different arrangement, bassline change, an extra rhythm guitar part here, different drum pattern there.

I'm surprised they've never played these songs live, I definitely prefer them to the more celebrated Stick it Out and Animate, although don't get me wrong I think they're pretty good too.

While it's a great song, it's admittedly in the mid-to-lower tier of my favorites off Counterparts. It's certainly not good enough that it should have replaced Stick it Out on the setlist (as it was suggested).

QUOTE (Scars @ May 27 2011, 11:55 PM)
While it's a great song, it's admittedly in the mid-to-lower tier of my favorites off Counterparts. It's certainly not good enough that it should have replaced Stick it Out on the setlist (as it was suggested).

Well that's a matter of opinion and I don't share yours...

QUOTE (rush22112 @ May 27 2011, 05:06 PM)
Is it just me or is Cut to the Chase one kick ass song. I just heard it for the first time in a while and had forgotten how good it was. 1022.gif

One of my favs also!!!

QUOTE (rush22112 @ May 27 2011, 03:06 PM)
Is it just me or is Cut to the Chase one kick ass song. I just heard it for the first time in a while and had forgotten how good it was. 1022.gif

I've been listening to it a lot the past few days. Counterparts is probably the album I've listened to the least -- not for any reason, just worked out that way -- so most of the songs on it are "new-ish" to me. CTTC totally kicks ass! yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 27 2011, 07:30 PM)

yes.gif

Yes, I agree, Alien Shore is a good and seemingly underrated (by most people) song. I like how each verse has got a slightly different arrangement, bassline change, an extra rhythm guitar part here, different drum pattern there.

I'm surprised they've never played these songs live, I definitely prefer them to the more celebrated Stick it Out and Animate, although don't get me wrong I think they're pretty good too.

I agree as well. I'm not a big fan of SIO and usually skip it when listening to CP. CTTC and AS are both much better songs and I too like the subtle changes in AS...one of the best things about 2.gif is when they do that in songs!!!

Yes replace SIO with either CTTC or AS....oh BTW...CTTC has a really cool solo in it that when compared to almost all of 2.gif 's catalog is unique to that song in its style...kind of boiling and rolling.

BTW....I'm listening to CP right now (something I haven't done in YEARS) and in headphones no less (something I've NEVER done)....This is a great album. The music is just amazing....Most of the lyrics are good (Speed of Love 062802puke_prv.gif )...I think it's time to take it out of storage for good....There is a lot buried in CP, from the music, to the titles, to the lyrics and their meanings.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

It is surprising they've never played this live. It certainly seems like it would carry over very well on stage. The song sounds like it was built to be played live. It's a personal fav of mine not only from CP, but spanning across everything. K-i-l-l-e-r song.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 27 2011, 05:07 PM)
They should play Cold Fire instead of Stick it Out if they're going to do a Counterparts song.

Fix'd

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ May 28 2011, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 27 2011, 05:07 PM)
They should not play Cold Fire instead of Stick it Out, if they're going to do a Counterparts song it should be Alien Shore or Cut to the Chase.

Sorry, what?

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 28 2011, 04:11 AM)
CTTC totally kicks ass!  yes.gif  1022.gif

Definitely! One of my top 3 from Counterparts, along with Animate and Between Sun And Moon. The thing about CP is how front-heavy it is. After the first 5 songs, nothing in the second half quite matches them. The best of the rest for me are Everyday Glory, Alien Shore and Cold Fire.

seriously, cut to the chase rocks and rocks hard and has some of alex's finest work, including one of his best solos ever.

the amazing thing about counterparts is as great as CTTC is, it ranks about 5th for me on that album behind Animate, Double Agent, Leave that thing Alone and Between Sun and Moon...the whole album rules.

CTTC would be my favorite song off of Presto, Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Hold Hour Fire, or Power Windows...those albums are all badly in need of some balls.

I LOVE this song! Probably my fave off the album, and one of my fave 90's and even overall. Geddy's voice is just incredibly, incredibly sexy, and builds from being deep to "CHAAAAASE" - awesome! The part starting with "it's the motor of the western world" just floors me, and I love the extremes of the lyrics in those few lines - a fine example of Rush discussing a wide range of human experience. Totally dig how the power of the song musically and lyrically goes with the name, too.

yes.gif Let's hear it live, 2.gif !!!