Fleetwood Mac

What is your opinion of Fleetwood Mac?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Fleetwood Mac?

• Love 'em
    • Hate 'em
    • They're okay
    • I've heard the hits, but not much else
    • Who?

Fleetwood Mac don't get much traffic here, and I was just wondering about what you guys thought of them. I personally enjoy them very much even though they don't fit the rest of my prog stuff. My favorite album would be the Dance.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 13 2011, 11:29 PM)
I really like Buckingham/Nicks era FM, not too fond of pre B/N

agreed. FM are my other favorite band, but i definitely don't dig the blues stuff. Tusk is my favorite album.

the actual Buckingham Nicks album is, in my opinion, the greatest album ever.

I like em alot, but not much past the '82 album (I forget the name). Alot of talent in the band. I've always liked Linsey Buckingham and of course Stevie is enchanting (pun intended) but starting with "Tusk" the band has always been pulled in too many directions to really be a solid force. That worked for about 5 years but it led to their downfall, or at least people getting tired of 'em.

Ever since I can remember their songs were played every 15 minutes on the radio from about 1975 until, well, still to this day. It wasnt until about 5 years ago that I started giving their albums(start to finish) a chance and I liked what I heard. Forget the radio, if you listen to their 70's stuff remastered on a good stereo, you will discover that they are great musicians and great studio perfectionists as well.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 14 2011, 06:16 AM)
When pop is done well I like it. The are maybe the perfect example of listenable pop.

Agree with this. I can't stand pop music, but Fleetwood Mac is about the only listenable pop that I can handle. Definately the #1 "pop" music group ever.

With that said, I actually like the Peter Green version better. They were actually what I consider "rockers".

a lot of people don't like wha they did after Rumours. Lindsey took direction of how they produced the music, and during Tusk, he went a little crazy. them making that a double album let to their fall. the next album, Mirage, had a few hits, like Hold Me and Gypsy, but it had a different sound. it actually sounds like what Lindsey did for his first solo album. Their '86 album Tango in the Night has that 80's sound, but it is really an amazing album. best song on there is Isnt it Midnight. wasn't a hit but shouldve been. the albums they did after Lindsey left were not great. 2 guys to replace one? kinda sad. the live album The Dance was what got me into the band. their last album Say You Will is really great. I think without Christine there, Lindsey and Stevie really shine. it's a pretty rocking album.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ May 14 2011, 11:42 AM)
I think without Christine there, Lindsey and Stevie really shine. it's a pretty rocking album.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

IMO, Christine McVie held the band back - way back. Her songwriting was woefully wimpy and pop-orientated. I liked only 1-2 of her songs. The rest was junk. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I kind of agree with you. I only like a few of her songs. Isn't It Midnight, Oh Daddy, and Honey Hi being the only ones I can think of.

I'm a huge Lindsey fan(hence my screen name!). he is a genius, but totally underrated. he has a new album coming out this year. I'm hearing it's going to be really good.

I like a few Stevie solo songs. I'm not a huge fan tho. Bella Donna is an amazing album.

I like the older Fleetwood Mac up to and including Mirage. I think my fave song on "Mirage" is "Straight Back" by Stevie Nicks.

I didn't care too much for Tango in the Night. The lead in song was just too over the top. "Big Love" I think is the title?

I like Christine McVie's "Little Lies" though and she did another tune called "I will follow" (is that the title?) which I think is good. She had a solo album in the mid-80s that seemed to sell pretty well, but that's the only solo album I know of by her.

My sister had the "Tusk" album. I remember it being good, including the video for "Tusk" with the marching band from USC. And I LOVE "Sara"!

I have Stevie Nicks' 1983 album "the Wild Heart". I love every tune on that one.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 14 2011, 02:44 PM)
I like the older Fleetwood Mac up to and including Mirage. I think my fave song on "Mirage" is "Straight Back" by Stevie Nicks.

I didn't care too much for Tango in the Night. The lead in song was just too over the top. "Big Love" I think is the title?

I like Christine McVie's "Little Lies" though and she did another tune called "I will follow" (is that the title?) which I think is good. She had a solo album in the mid-80s that seemed to sell pretty well, but that's the only solo album I know of by her.

My sister had the "Tusk" album. I remember it being good, including the video for "Tusk" with the marching band from USC. And I LOVE "Sara"!

I have Stevie Nicks' 1983 album "the Wild Heart". I love every tune on that one.

Do yourself one favor.

Find the live version of Big Love with just Lindsey on guitar and vocals.

you will be blown away.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 14 2011, 01:44 PM)

Straight Back might be my favorite Stevie FM song. it's haunting.

Big Love has the 80's sound to it, and the orgasmic sounds to it can be a bit much. defintely YouTube the live version from the dance.

that Christine song that you're referring to is "as long as you follow" and that was on the post Lindsey album, behind the mask. it's the only decent song from that album but still not great.