The Cars And Duran Duran Did It

presto123

There is a misconception by most people that classic bands cannot put out records at the end of their careers that rival their best work. And usually I would say this is true but just within the last month I have bought releases by these two bands that truthfully I would put toe to toe with any of their best stuff IMO. I am thrilled with these records and I haven't said that about a release in a long time. Amazingly both sound like they stepped out of a time machine and continued on. I think it takes a willingness to go back somewhat and embrace the signature sound that made you a unique band and pushed you over the edge. Can Rush do this as well? I think they are too afraid of repeating themselves to go all the way back(nor would a lot of people want them to) but I do think CA will be a great record. Not rivaling their best though like I feel about the latest two from these 80's pop bands. Edited by presto123

Here's the thing though: Rush and Duran Duran have been recording at an almost constant rate since the beginning of their careers. The Cars only just released a new album for the first time in 24 years. I wouldn't venture to say that Duran Duran have been at the end of their career and I certainly wouldn't say that about Rush either. Maybe The Cars should have just called it quits, but that's just me. Either way, if CA is to be Rush's last album, I'll be fine with that; and if they decide to record anything else, that's fine too.

I don't think Rush can but that's because every album is so different. Plus Hemispheres pretty much is perfection, and the band knows that, which is why they don't make those albums tongue.gif

Honestly, though, Hemispheres is about balance, and if that is not perfect nothing is. The playing is their own best, and the melodies and rhythms are so unique. Circumstances is a philosophical juggernaut in a short amount of time. The Trees takes you into a wild scene and let's you interpret is as you wish. And LVS is LVS. There is just nothing Rush can do like this anymore and they know that.

Moving Pictures is very different and yet it can be their best. Some say 2112 is the best for what it symbolizes. Some say HYF. Really, rush doesn't have a masterpiece, except Hemi...Rush itself is the masterpiece.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 12 2011, 10:35 PM)
Here's the thing though: Rush and Duran Duran have been recording at an almost constant rate since the beginning of their careers. The Cars only just released a new album for the first time in 24 years. I wouldn't venture to say that Duran Duran have been at the end of their career and I certainly wouldn't say that about Rush either. Maybe The Cars should have just called it quits, but that's just me. Either way, if CA is to be Rush's last album, I'll be fine with that; and if they decide to record anything else, that's fine too.

You do have to admit that is impressive to be away that long and step right back in with something brilliant though. Wonder why The Police didn't do a studio album when they reunited? They left off on Synchronicity and what a way to go. That is one great record.

Depending on what is most important for you in a song, each and every one of their albums could be your favorite or their masterpiece. If you like loud guitars, maybe VT is a masterpiece to you. confused13.gif I suspect CA will have some things to like an some to dislike. If the dislikes don't matter to you, CA will be just as good as any Rush album. Just my 0.02

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 13 2011, 12:28 PM)
I think it takes a willingness to go back somewhat and embrace the signature sound that made you a unique band and pushed you over the edge. Can Rush do this as well? I think they are too afraid of repeating themselves to go all the way back(nor would a lot of people want them to) but I do think CA will be a great record.

I don't think they're "too afraid to go all the way back..." I just think they're not interested in going back.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 12 2011, 10:49 PM)
Depending on what is most important for you in a song, each and every one of their albums could be your favorite or their masterpiece. If you like loud guitars, maybe VT is a masterpiece to you. confused13.gif I suspect CA will have some things to like an some to dislike. If the dislikes don't matter to you, CA will be just as good as any Rush album. Just my 0.02

I'm talking consensus here. Sure everybody has their favs but the general consensus is that Rush peak was between late 70's to mid 80's. Very few would say SnA or VT is their best piece of work. Good records for sure though. Rush doesn't have a studio record I dislike.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2011, 11:44 PM)

You do have to admit that is impressive to be away that long and step right back in with something brilliant though. Wonder why The Police didn't do a studio album when they reunited? They left off on Synchronicity and what a way to go. That is one great record.

True, that was an amazing thing to do. Not many artists successfully do that, so I'll give that much to The Cars. The Police I could never see reuniting for a new album. 'Synchronicity' is just perfect front to back. I don't think they could really top that. Maybe they all realized that and decided that was the final chapter of their recording career.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 13 2011, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2011, 11:44 PM)

True, that was an amazing thing to do. Not many artists successfully do that, so I'll give that much to The Cars. The Police I could never see reuniting for a new album. 'Synchronicity' is just perfect front to back. I don't think they could really top that. Maybe they all realized that and decided that was the final chapter of their recording career.

Could be. I disagree with that mentality though. Bands shouldn't try to repeat anything. And they shouldn't believe "This is as good as it's going to get." They should set out to make a great album and if it happens to sound similar to the previous one, then so be it.

eh, I have trouble with the fact that The cars are missing a major singer/songwriter with Orr dying

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 12 2011, 11:26 PM)
eh, I have trouble with the fact that The cars are missing a major singer/songwriter with Orr dying

That what makes it more amazing. Or do you think the new one doesn't hold up to their old stuff? Most reviews I've read think it sounds exactly like classic Cars. Wish Orr could sing songs like Soon though. That is kind of like the "Drive" of the record.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2011, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 12 2011, 11:26 PM)

That what makes it more amazing. Or do you think the new one doesn't hold up to their old stuff? Most reviews I've read think it sounds exactly like classic Cars. Wish Orr could sing songs like Soon though. That is kind of like the "Drive" of the record.

nah, i really lost interest in them after about Candy-O. I got heavier musically as the 80 went on. And never really had much use for Duran Duran either but I figured I really had nothing good to add on that. I also think that its beyond realistic to ever expect anything like Hemispheres or so, as they have grown and changed tremendously over their career. So much like people in general, you either change and grow together, or change and grow apart. I cant imagine anything sadder than seeing a band trying to be what they were 30 years ago. I have no problem with a band like Rush, that likes to tip their hat, and sometimes with tongue in cheek, to what they were and what got them this far. All the while being who they are now.

Well I like what I hear with those first two tracks. I'm trying not to listen to them much until CA is released because I'll get burnt out. Hope Rush brings the keys back even more on the rest of the record.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2011, 11:57 PM)
Well I like what I hear with those first two tracks. I'm trying not to listen to them much until CA is released because I'll get burnt out. Hope Rush brings the keys back even more on the rest of the record.

Caravan just thrills me, and I am very interested in what they are up to with this concept theme. Musically and lyrically, I am excited to hear what Im guessing could be some sort of another molt for them. And I know they will get a lot of flack along the lines of they are just trying to re-capture their early days again. But I am quite confident that this band is not that disingenious, more like they just kinda missed working on broader structures again. Maybe Neil has been sitting on this theme for a long time and just wanted to do something with it. Its probably just a case of "wtf, why not? we can do anything we want"

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 13 2011, 12:34 AM)
I agree. The Cars' new release is very good.

But they cannot beat 2.gif tongue.gif

I'm reminded of the late, great Ted Williams the baseball player. He was booed early in his career and took it personally. No matter how much the crowd applauded or loved him he would never tip his cap. On the day he retired he hit his last home run. Everyone thought he would finally tip his cap to the crowd and he didn't. When asked he said it just didn't feel right to change after all that time.

I'm not saying that Rush is exactly like that, but it would almost be out of character for them to go back and copy their old sound. I think they are too restless and eager to explore the next thing. After all these years of listening I find it exciting that they still keep trying for something new each time.

Besides Caravan Angels I'm also looking forward to the new Yes album Fly From Here which will have a new 20 minute epic and four or five shorter songs. It's going to be a cool couple of years for old(er) prog rockers.

Not only did The Cars and Duran Duran release superb new albums in 2011, but so did Whitesnake...."Forevermore" is outstanding. I would love to see Rush put out a new album equal to the quality of the new Cars, DD, and Whitesnake CDs, and I totally think Rush can do it!

QUOTE (cuiaba @ May 14 2011, 05:15 PM)
Not only did The Cars and Duran Duran release superb new albums in 2011, but so did Whitesnake...."Forevermore" is outstanding. I would love to see Rush put out a new album equal to the quality of the new Cars, DD, and Whitesnake CDs, and I totally think Rush can do it!

Thanks. Will check out the new Whitesnake.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 13 2011, 03:28 AM)
There is a misconception by most people that classic bands cannot put out records at the end of their careers that rival their best work.

No misconception, it's truth.

FWIW everything Duran Duran released was SHIT. My daddy was at University in Birmingham when Durran Durran broke through, so he knows.

My mummy was a big Moody Blues fan, but she says all their late albums are SHIT.

SO, there you are, conclusive proof.

EPIC FAIL on your part.

Edited by Cosy Toes

AC/DC did the same. While there are a few songs that sound similar, Black Ice definetely rivals Back in Black and Highway to Hell.

I believe that if Rush churns out more songs of the rank of BU2B and Caravan, which they seem perfectly capable of surpassing, then we will have a superb album. To be honest, I'm really hyped up about that epic and I've already started saving up for their 2012 tour so I can get front row.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 12 2011, 08:26 PM)

Technical point here: Benjamin Orr did not write songs for The Cars.

As for Rush, I loved Snakes and Arrows, so I don't see an issue here. AND while I'm at it, I like the first two songs off Clockwork Angels too.

wink.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2011, 10:53 PM)

Very few would say SnA or VT is their best piece of work.

And the people that do say that are just f-n Nuts