Pratt writes a novel.

StellarJetman

Your reaction?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Your reaction?

• :D
    • :boo hiss:

I hope that he does, at any rate. He's written more than enough about himself.

Also, it appears that I can't use smileys as poll options, and that I also don't have the ability to edit poll options after they're posted. Sorry.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 3 2011, 03:19 AM)
I hope that he does, at any rate.  He's written more than enough about himself.

Also, it appears that I can't use smileys as poll options, and that I also don't have the ability to edit poll options after they're posted.  Sorry.

I can edit it. What would you like the options to say?

YEEEESSSSS.

That would be a dream come true.

I'd love to see how he does in the fiction department. He already has a clear grasp on description and setting, even a little bit with characterization and the like, he just needs to be able to make it up. But, y'know, write what you know.

QUOTE (tel @ May 3 2011, 05:02 AM)
sure why not,peart writes good,you know birds,trees and stuff cool.gif

I am so sick of the birds, trees, rock formations, histories of small South American towns, etc.

Whatever he writes, non-fiction or fiction, I'll probably check it out... but I pray to Ged that it's not more of all that botanical junk.

It will probably be some religious bashing and a boring analogy to his life. Seeing how uninspired he was in S&A he'll probably just make some changes to Ghost Rider to make his message more obvious and change the names.

I'm not a fan of Neil's writing. I couldn't care less what he publishes for extra cash.

His lyric writing is okay, but in his books he does too much rambling. It's unfocused.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 3 2011, 02:20 AM)
I can edit it. What would you like the options to say?

I don't know. "Yeah!" and, "Please, no," I guess.

Don't bother if editing it will erase the votes, though.

Edited by StellarJetman

:boo hiss

rofl3.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (snowdogged @ May 3 2011, 04:10 PM)
I'd like him to write about the crazy antics of him and his zany side-kick, Cosy Toes.

laugh.gif

In short: I voted no-go.

In long:

I expect fully to get into trouble here for saying what I am about to say, but I found Ghost Rider to be deeply disappointing. So much so that I am not going to bother reading anything else that he publishes in book form, unless I have good evidence that it is worth it. Obviously, this excludes his lyrics and his web-site; although, come to think of it, the lyrics can sleep safe eternally, but the web-site (for me) sings for its supper every time I visit it; and I do that only because there is a ghost of a chance that I might see something Rush-related.

I expected so much more in Ghost Rider from a wordsmith like Peart - his lyrics have raised the hair on the back of my neck more times than I can remember. Sometimes, with time on my hands, I will run a particular Rush song through my head, seeking deliberately the effect that I know the lyrics will have on me - I'll recite a given song in my head just to give myself a buzz.

But when I read Ghost Rider, I found so little that amounted to eloquent, from-the-heart and full-of-insight stuff. It took me a full year to read the whole thing, forcing myself all the way - like trying to eat cardboard - and I ended up skipping stacks of the 'letters to Brutus' in an attempt to give matters some kind of dignified coup de grace. Someone suggests in the relevant Amazon reviews that the letters-to-Brutus thing arose because his publisher was demanding 'manuscript tomorrow or else'. Frankly, I thought it was simply a sign of rank laziness, and, ultimately, it amounts to the same thing either way.

So, read a novel of his? I'll wait for credible, positive reviews on this channel first.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 3 2011, 09:57 AM)
His lyric writing is okay, but in his books he does too much rambling. It's unfocused.

You'd be surprised at how well a good editor can help a writer focus and get back on track.

Say, I'm planning on studying to be an editor next fall... tongue.gif

(Bah, in my dreams! Or nightmares. I can see being Neil's editor as being a nightmare. wacko.gif Not that I'd pass up the opportunity -- ever.)

I don't know. Many years ago I some of Edward Abbey's books about the American Southwest and really enjoyed them - Desert Solitaire, for example. Then I read one of his novels and didn't like it at all. Some authors can't cross over. Even The Monkey Wrench Gang, a classic in some regards, I found to be lacking.