Bread

Just made some this weekend, and I make DAMN good bread. I have been officially dubbed the family's official bread maker. Made from scratch, with fresh yeast (not dry or instant). It takes pretty much all morning, but not constantly because of the 2.5 hour total rise time.

My grandmother (Polish) passed away in 1991, and she made Syrian bread (my grandfather was Syrian) for every family gathering. I made it a few years ago going by her recipe and everyone said it was even better than my grandmother's. I now (am required to) make it for every family gathering with my dad's side of the family smile.gif I made some this weekend to thank my aunt for taking care of our cat when we will be on vacation.

Each 5lb bag of flour yields 8 loaves. I gave 2 to my parents, 2 to my aunt and kept 4 for my family. We ate 1 as a snack, fresh out of the oven. Ate another for sandwiches with lunch, and another with dinner. There is only 1 loaf left!!

• Like 1

Sounds delicious!

Now and then we'll make some but since we became an empty nest family, and it doesn't get eaten very fast, we don't do it very often. I love fresh-baked bread, though. The smell is wonderful! wub.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 3 2011, 02:56 AM)
Sounds delicious!

Now and then we'll make some but since we became an empty nest family, and it doesn't get eaten very fast, we don't do it very often. I love fresh-baked bread, though. The smell is wonderful! wub.gif

available at all good supermarkets,admirable but ultimately pointless

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 3 2011, 07:56 AM)
Sounds delicious!

wub.gif I heart.gif the smell of fresh baked bread, too... wub.gif

Oh god. I worked in a bakery for three years, and I still can't stand bakery smells. To me it just smells like stale beer.

It did wonders for getting me to reduce my useless-carb intake, though!

A little tip for the next time you go into a bakery: do NOT stand just inside the door, take a deep, exaggerated whiff, and exclaim, "It smells SO GOOD in here! How can you stand it?"

Trust me, the staff hears THAT approximately 400 times per day. They will love you for NOT saying it.

My mom used to make an awesome sourdough bread when I was a kid.

QUOTE (tel @ May 3 2011, 04:52 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 3 2011, 02:56 AM)
Sounds delicious!

Now and then we'll make some but since we became an empty nest family, and it doesn't get eaten very fast, we don't do it very often. I love fresh-baked bread, though. The smell is wonderful!  wub.gif

available at all good supermarkets,admirable but ultimately pointless

NOT the same man. You will never get bread like this in a supermarket. You will never get good naan in a supermarket....

Always tastes better if you make it yourself (and know what you're doing) No preservatives and all the other garbage you can't control. Granted, fresh bread only lasts for a couple days and not a couple weeks, but it's SOOOOOOOO much better.

You want some delicious bread? *Presto* from this board makes a damn good loaf of bread! As a matter of fact, it's so good I'm gonna have to send her a PM right now to tell her that laugh.gif

I used to make lemon blueberry bread a long time ago, but I think the recipe's been lost in the shuffle. My mom makes good orange cranberry bread, and I discovered last Christmas that my boyfriend's family makes almost exactly the same bread.

What is with people making breads out of gross combinations of fruit? Lemon/raspberry...lemon/blueberry...orange/cranberry.... blech! 062802puke_prv.gif

I'll take just plain regular bread flavored bread.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 3 2011, 08:09 PM)
What is with people making breads out of gross combinations of fruit? Lemon/raspberry...lemon/blueberry...orange/cranberry.... blech! 062802puke_prv.gif

It's more like a coffee cake. With a glaze and everything.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 3 2011, 09:09 PM)

I take it you only like vanilla ice cream too? laugh.gif

Orange cranberry bread or muffins = awesome. I also love lemon poppy seed!

Fresh baked San Francisco sourdough.

Real sourdough, not plain old frenchbread some places try to pass off as sourdough.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 4 2011, 09:14 AM)

Nah, I actually do like cranberry bread, but there I'm definately not a fan of citrus being used in regular bread. Usually seems to be some kind of citrus in these types of bread and it makes me ill.

What Tree is referring to sounds more like cake, as she said. I just think of bread as more like...french bread, portuguese bread, white bread, hard rolls, kaiser rolls, chibatta (dont know how to spell that) bread...etc

And quite the contrary...I hate vanilla ice cream! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 4 2011, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 4 2011, 09:14 AM)

Nah, I actually do like cranberry bread, but there I'm definately not a fan of citrus being used in regular bread. Usually seems to be some kind of citrus in these types of bread and it makes me ill.

What Tree is referring to sounds more like cake, as she said. I just think of bread as more like...french bread, portuguese bread, white bread, hard rolls, kaiser rolls, chibatta (dont know how to spell that) bread...etc

And quite the contrary...I hate vanilla ice cream! laugh.gif

Ya it's gonna be more like a coffee cake. Might make it tomorrow.. I'll post the recipe once I figure it out. laugh.gif

The lemon blueberry bread had a glaze too...forgot about that tongue.gif And the orange (peel) in the cranberry bread was just enough to spice it up - you wouldn't think of it as tasting like orange. I wouldn't like it if it did. Edited by 1 of the 7

Just made some cornbread... went really well with the ribs I smoked for 4+ hours smile.gif

Man, I forgot how much I like cornbread.

Anyone wants to make it, here you go:

1 Cup Fine Corn Meal

1/4 Cup Coarse Corn Meal

3/4 Cup AP Flour

1/2 Cup sugar

1 tsp kosher salt

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 can creamed corn

1 Cup buttermilk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

8 TB unsalted butter, melted (reserve 1 TB)

Preheat over to 425 with a 9" cast iron skillet inside.

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients (first 7). Mix in the wet ingredients (last 4) - making sure to reserve that 1 TB of melted butter.

Remove the hot skillet, reduce oven temp to 375. Add the reserved TB of butter to the skillet. Coat bottom and sides. Add cornbread mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes (until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean.) Let cool and eat up.

Good fresh bread is killer...but it has to be more than just white for me. I like multigrain/whole wheat type breads.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 2 2011, 12:34 PM)
Just made some this weekend, and I make DAMN good bread. I have been officially dubbed the family's official bread maker. Made from scratch, with fresh yeast (not dry or instant). It takes pretty much all morning, but not constantly because of the 2.5 hour total rise time.

My grandmother (Polish) passed away in 1991, and she made Syrian bread (my grandfather was Syrian) for every family gathering. I made it a few years ago going by her recipe and everyone said it was even better than my grandmother's. I now (am required to) make it for every family gathering with my dad's side of the family smile.gif I made some this weekend to thank my aunt for taking care of our cat when we will be on vacation.

Each 5lb bag of flour yields 8 loaves. I gave 2 to my parents, 2 to my aunt and kept 4 for my family. We ate 1 as a snack, fresh out of the oven. Ate another for sandwiches with lunch, and another with dinner. There is only 1 loaf left!!

I recently purchased a very kick-ass bread machine. I love home-baked bread (and the smell is heavenly) but refuse to do all the work it takes to make fresh bread. I'm such a happy girl now. Plus, I can make so many things in my bread machine! Even jam. I haven't yet but am planning to this weekend.