The Royal Wedding

SeamusWiles

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 29 2011, 07:54 AM)
One thing to keep in mind is the tourist dollars the Royals bring in. This week probably made the British GNP rise 20%. Plus, it's not free to visit Royal properties. Ask me how I know... but I loved every minute of it wink.gif

Not the specious tourism argument.

If we chopped off all their heads, then we could open up all their properties to the gullible and rake in even more POUNDS STERLING from the tourists.

The Froggoes did the decent thing with their Royals and they rake in more tourist Euros than we do.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 28 2011, 03:18 PM)
God, I can't even get away from it on my favourite site... banghead.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 29 2011, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 28 2011, 03:18 PM)
God, I can't even get away from it on my favourite site... banghead.gif

+1

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I suggest both of you refrain from using Google today. wink.gif

I must say that right up until last night I was one of the cynics - "Who give's a rat's ass about this? I'm sick of all the media attention this month! Get it over with!" - but I was awake early this morning so I watched the wedding. And I got into it.

Kate is beautiful, classy, and radiant. My favorite moment was the "second kiss" on the balcony - almost unprecendented, since William doesn't normally like public displays of affection. It was cute. And did I say she's beautiful? She's also beautiful.

Edited by GeddyRulz

If only the Hurricane and Spitfire had strafed the Buck House balcony, and the Lancaster let loose a bouncing bomb down the Mall: " I say, die horribly you Kraut swines"

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 29 2011, 09:38 AM)
I must say that right up until last night I was one of the cynics - "Who give's a rat's ass about this? I'm sick of all the media attention this month! Get it over with!" - but I was awake early this morning so I watched the wedding. And I got into it.

Kate is beautiful, classy, and radiant. My favorite moment was the "second kiss" on the balcony - almost unprecendented, since William doesn't normally like public displays of affection. It was cute. And did I say she's beautiful? She's also beautiful.

I'll watch the highlights later.

Kate really does seem quite grounded in reality, and yeah, she's a knockout. I'm thinking it can only be good for the marriage that they've been living together for some time.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 29 2011, 01:44 PM)
If only the Hurricane and Spitfire had strafed the Buck House balcony, and the Lancaster let loose a bouncing bomb down the Mall: " I say, die horribly you Kraut swines"

You're such a well balanced individual. A chip on both shoulders! laugh.gif

You were probably there, with your mad dad. wink.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 29 2011, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 29 2011, 01:44 PM)

You're such a well balanced individual. A chip on both shoulders! laugh.gif

You were probably there, with your mad dad. wink.gif

And Dad's no doubt in a sulk because the royal family snubbed his advances.

Can't say I'm definitely an Anglophile, but I love reading about the kings and queens of England. Queen Elizabeth I and Henry VIII in particular.

I haven't seen anything about the wedding yet because I haven't turned on the television.

Kate is beautiful. Now all the girls can style their hair after her.

In my high school senior yearbook, in the current events section, we have a picture of Fergie getting married. That one didn't last either. She was not a favorite among royals. I believe they thought her to be trash.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 29 2011, 02:21 PM)
I take it Cosy Toes isn't a fan of the Royal Family then...

Oh, he/she/it/that loves them! Probably drinking a cup of piss-weak English tea right now out of a Kate & William mug. And probably has two 2 budgies named after the happy couple too.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 29 2011, 09:18 AM)
In my high school senior yearbook, in the current events section, we have a picture of Fergie getting married. That one didn't last either. She was not a favorite among royals. I believe they thought her to be trash.

We all thought she was a breath of fresh air after the cold fish of Diana. Fergie had some LIFE to her, and a sense of humor. She even helped bring life to Diana. I heard one story where the royal family was lined-up for something and Fergie whispered to Diana "Watch this"... then knocked a man's unopened umbrella from his hand. Fergie and Di quickly resumed blank stares, as if it wasn't them and they'd seen nothing. laugh.gif This is great fun against a "proper" Brit, who'd never imagine it was the dignified royal family which caused the umbrella to fly from his hand, but who'd have no other available explanation.

I think the problem with Diana was feeling trapped. Immediately, even on the day of the wedding. She basically accepted Charles's proposal just because, hey, he's a Prince. She didn't know him well, probably had no real feelings of love for him, probably found him unattractive, and felt obligated to spend the rest of her life with him and bear his children just because it was expected of her. She finally found her own voice and did the right thing in leaving him. And then she found herself. That's my take on it, anyway; I'm not well-read about her and the royal family. (I hate to make an analogy to a movie I don't like, but it's like in Titanic: Rose is pressured and obliged to marry that wealthy gentleman she doesn't love, and she feels suffocated and suicidal because of it. She finally stands up for herself and takes the reigns of her own life, rather than be forced by others into a life she doesn't want. That was Diana, to me.)

At least William and Kate have been together for ten years, love each other, and have already lived together.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I'm with GR. I didn't really plan on getting that into it until I turned on the tv when William rolled in. Couldn't take my eyes off the whole spectacle! Or Kate!

wait....

who got married???

what?

unsure.gif

bolt.gif

The problem in Diana's marriage though was because Charles was having an affair or three, including that hag Camilla.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 29 2011, 10:01 AM)
The problem in Diana's marriage though was because Charles was having an affair or three, including that hag Camilla.

But he's been with Camilla for 40 years, right? Before, during, and after Diana. I've heard the Brits accept her now.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 29 2011, 11:22 AM)

But he's been with Camilla for 40 years, right? Before, during, and after Diana. I've heard the Brits accept her now.

Graham Norton (UK talk show host) certainly pokes a lot of fun at her - frequent equine references.

Um, 40 years? How can that be if he married Diana in 1981?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 29 2011, 03:25 PM)

Oh, they've had a thing going on since the 70's, there's that pic of the two of them next to a tree. Maybe Chuck was talking to the tree, who knows....

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 29 2011, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 29 2011, 03:25 PM)

Oh, they've had a thing going on since the 70's, there's that pic of the two of them next to a tree. Maybe Chuck was talking to the tree, who knows....

that's really odd. I never knew that. Then why did he marry Diana then? Or did Elizabeth pretty much give him the riot act?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 29 2011, 03:22 PM)

I think they have, by and large. Diana was nuttier than a squirrel's poo. All the Queen of Hearts crap was exactly that. Crap.