Montreal Opinions/Review and Pics/Videos

USB Connector

Having seen Rush in Toronto during the first leg of the tour, I was expecting the exactl same show with a Cygnus Ending. What I got was so much more. Everything was improved from the camera angles that were captured every moment of the action, to Neil's solo, to the new guitat tech who didn't screw things up. Geddy was still hitting every note despite the fact that they had played in Hamilton the night before. Every moment was just awesome. I also couldn't help but notice the camera transitions and sound effects added to Neil's solo which really made it mind blowing.

The few downers to the show however, can't be at all blamed on the band. Since it was at the Bell Centre, they had to dumb down the little pyrotechnics they used to two measly firecrackers and a small flare show during Caravan. The audience in the red section (just above the floor) was also dead. Hardly anyone stood for anything other than 2112 (even then there weren't that many people standing the entire time). My two friends next to me even got threatened to get beaten up for not sitting after Spirit of Radio.

Overall, the concert was perfect. It's a shame the audience couldn't return the favour.

On a side note, it has been my concert experience from four concerts prior to this (Rush in Toronto, Kiss, Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper) that proper ettiquette is to stand and sing along and/or bob your head/body with the music. I was lucky that no one asked me to sit down at any point except during the inter-setlist videos and drum solo (where I sat down willingly). Was I wrong to stand and have a good time?

Anyways, here are the pictures I took: http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/...;cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

And the three videos I recorded:

Moving Pictures Outtro

Drum Solo

Cygnus X-1 Ending/I love you man video (will upload tomorrow, the file is too large)

Edited by usb_connector

I was a few sections to your left (102). People don't stand at concerts in Montreal.. They sit and enjoy the show. Same thing at Paul McCartney last summer. I was the only one standing the whole of A Day In The Life, singing my heart out to that classic... It doesn't mean the crowd is lame, but crowds in Montreal are different... I stood most of the show in Toronto last summer (Almost the same seats). And there are those who probably got free tickets (Like Joel Bouchard hockey Know-it-all from RDS) who was sitting across the aisle from me and left at 10:15 after spending most of the night checking his text messages on his cellphone........ Sure helps when you work for a Bell owned company and get free tickets in a Bell Owned arena.. What a waste of a ticket....... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif But at least he was there a bit, and didn't spend 2 days complaining on the air like that idiot Ron Fournier that the Habs would lose the series because of an extra day off because of "Rushhhhhhhhhhhh" confused13.gif

BTW, Don't try standing up at the F1 GP either....

The show was great, better than Toronto. Some guys in front of us who did the Meet & Greet said Geddy had the flu really bad and the band were thinking of cancelling the show in Baltimore... Didn't show, but he did have of box of tissues next to him... Alex was the one a bit off last night. But he always is somehow nowadays... Neil was solid as a rock! 2.gif

Edited by Supersyl

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Apr 21 2011, 08:31 PM)
How long did Geddy wear the Habs t-shirt? (unusual for him to deviate from the RASH and Gefilter t-shirts, is it not?) Just curious.

He wore it the whole second set.

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Apr 21 2011, 07:31 PM)
How long did Geddy wear the Habs t-shirt? (unusual for him to deviate from the RASH and Gefilter t-shirts, is it not?) Just curious.

He put it on after the drum solo

I uploaded some videos in the edited first post. I didn't upload them before because the audio wasn't working. I used a different codoc and now it works. I'll have the last video up by 3:00PM tomorrow.

I think Alex's guitar tech is the same as last tour. After all these cool new videos with Alex and the one with his tech backstage, it looks like they have learned quite a lot from last years shows and have incorporated numerous back up units and contingencies if anything should happen to go wrong. I only saw one guitar pack flub in Detroit, Alex fixed it himself with a quick smack of the unit and it was ready to rock again. laugh.gif technology eh?

In terms of the standing question, you paid good money to get to the shows.. So rock out, have fun, air drum, etc... I'm mindful of if I see someone smaller is behind me while I am standing, I will try to accommodate them. But I mean, it's a rock concert!! Pyro, light show, loud noises, it's not a sit down and enjoy philharmonic strings orchestra. So standing and rocking out is kind of obligatory, and I wish more people I see could have that attitude. For the most part it seems the floor is the place to be for it. But even I have seen my share of hard core fans having the best night of their lives and the "Buckingham Palace guards" who stand there the whole night and may not move to the beat the whole night. I have to give respect, I'm sure some may be great Rush fans and they choose to sit or stand and just appreciate the music. Quite interesting though, I have always heard Montreal crowds are absolutely insane.

Oh wow, so Geddy really did have a cold all this time. Amazing!!! He's been putting out some of the best vocals I have heard from him ever! Really sustaining all the notes in Toledo, nailing it perfectly in Cleveland. Hamilton he seemed to be on fire too for the first night being back up here in Canada on this leg.

Some great pictures! Thanks for the ones with the Habs jersey, that's cool to see, I miss Geddy doing stuff like that. Yeah, the standard RASH and Ge-Filter have been all I have seen him in night after night following them around.

Surprised about the pryo show, perhaps just didn't have enough pyro to do the show?? Kinda weird.. The only shows I have seen where the pyro show was smaller were Syracuse for the "road lit only by fire" didn't have any flames, and if there were they weren't going on as often or as high. Red Rocks in 2008 was small too, it was really windy, so they didn't put the flames up as high I noticed.

I was on the floor right in the middle, and of course, everyone was standing and yelling.

It was a great show and just blew me away, I had no Idea they were still that good!

It was my 14th show of Rush in Montreal, and it's the first time that i wear ears plug since the third song until the end the soundman ruin my night, the bass drum was way to loud, pounding to my chest all night long it was ridiculous, worse Rush experience ever.

Sometimes i had the impressions that the time machine bring me back to the Metallica, Master of puppets tour...Drum very loud!

I was on the red section 113

I saw this tour last summer in Quebec city (Outdoor) and it was great! The best Rush tour ever in term of sound quality for me were: the Presto, Roll the bones and Power windows tour.

Regarding your comment about your friends being threatened to sit down, when I went to see Rush for the first time at Madison Square Garden a few weeks ago (4/10/11), I had some old hag behind me (No offense to older, female Rush fans. I use the word to describe her attitude more than anything else.) put her hands on me and my brother, and told us to sit. She pretty much pushed us down. I was a bit pissed because there were a bunch of people in front of us who were still standing, so I couldn't see part of the show. I think this happened about half way through Stick It Out. The people in front of us finally sat after about two songs later.

The part that pisses me off most is that I should have been allowed to stand (and I should have, but didn't want to risk a security intervention, which would have totally ruined the show), but the woman behind us was so freakin' drunk along with her whole crew, that they probably couldn't stand. So, because of their idiocy, I had to sit and not see for a small part of the show. But, enough of my ranting.

I'm sorry that the audience was a bit of a bummer. And threatening your friends like that, geez. Like others have said, you paid good money, you should be able to stand if you want. If the people can't see behind you, they should stand too. It's a freakin' rock concert from Rush, not some broadway play. 2.gif

Thanks for the comments guys! It's nice to see that the crowd was energetic in other parts of the audience.

Oh, I'd also like to point out that some of my photos are featured on Cygnus-X-1.net! I even got the chance to write the intro paragraph for the Montreal page. A big thanks goes out to Jag2112 for hosting the pictures!

As of this writing, only the last two pictures at the bottom of the page weren't taken by yours truly. You can view them here.

QUOTE (opsopcopolis @ Apr 23 2011, 05:06 PM)
Just put up my recording of the show.
Can be found here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=354379

Welcome to the forum! Since you recorded the whole concert, I recommend you post your bootlegs in the Different Stages section of the board.

I figure if ya have floor seats yer standing the whole time. okey no prob. but if Im in the upper decks at a RUSH show I prefer to sit and watch/listen. I have no desire to stand for 2-3 hrs i dont care who is playing

The show in Hamilton was the first time I've ever sat during a show, other than parts of my 1st RUSH show at the ACC in 2007.

But thats because I was in the upper deck in Hamilton and when the lights went down nobody stood up anyway. I usually like to stand during a show but if nobody around me is going to stand then I dont wanna be that one guy standing and ruining it for the people behind me. If the people in front of me are standing then tough luck for the peeps behind me im standing.

I was side stage (Alex) lower bowl at the ACC in 2007 and I stood for most of the show, a few times people behind us started complaining (first time i had ever seen people sitting during a rock concert, I was amazed) however whenever I would sit down I couldnt see, so I stood.

Only other time I've sat at a concert was at AC/DC at the Skydome in 2008, but that night I was row 1 of the 200 club level so I just sat back and put my feet up on the concrete barrier with my feet hanging over the some 20 foot drop to the 100 seats, aweomse 1022.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 23 2011, 06:45 PM)
I figure if ya have floor seats yer standing the whole time. okey no prob. but if Im in the upper decks at a RUSH show I prefer to sit and watch/listen. I have no desire to stand for 2-3 hrs i dont care who is playing

that's great for you, but if i'm in front of you you're gonna be looking at my ass for 3 hours.

stand up and get into it for christ's sake....

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 23 2011, 06:45 PM)

that's great for you, but if i'm in front of you you're gonna be looking at my ass for 3 hours.

stand up and get into it for christ's sake....

QUOTE (Enviro_tech @ Apr 22 2011, 01:16 AM)
Oh wow, so Geddy really did have a cold all this time. Amazing!!! He's been putting out some of the best vocals I have heard from him ever! Really sustaining all the notes in Toledo, nailing it perfectly in Cleveland. Hamilton he seemed to be on fire too for the first night being back up here in Canada on this leg.

Actually, Geddy has been battling a serious inner ear infection for the last 10 days or so... and I mean serious. Most of us would be home in bed, but he toughs it out, night after night. Truly a professional. Hopefully the little break before Europe will give him a chance to get better.

I have to say, I only sit down during the intermission. Have never had any issue with it from Tampa all the way up to Greensboro...Have been to 12 RUSH concerts and probably over a 100 total concerts in my life. Only one I sat down to was Frankie Valli and my wife made me go to that one...lol. tongue.gif

Standing at a concert so you can air guitar, drum, slappa da bass, tap your feet and bob your head are pretty much standard operating procedure!

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif