Neil Peart and Touring - Roadshow

Flet

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Apr 12 2011, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (zogoto @ Apr 12 2011, 12:39 PM)
I'm no psychiatrist, but I have a suspicion that Neil has Asperger syndrome, or something similar.

your statement proves that: yes indeed you are NOT a psychiatrist...

do you even know what Asperger's is??? i'm guessing NO.

I'm no psychiatrist - and anybody who goes to see one needs their head examining - but by studying my beloved papa, who is securely Aspergic I would have to say that Neil could well be located on that spectrum.

I expect that you think Aspergers is lovely with Hollandaise and a poached egg. Failing that I expect that you think it is an extra strong laxative.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2011, 01:57 PM)
What Cosy fails to mention is that "Daddy" has an unnerving (even if you AREN'T Neil Peart) tendency to wear Rush album sleeves as headwear.  ph34r.gif

If Neil wasn't already leery of fans, I'd venture to guess the COS hat might make him think twice.

Thaaat would explain a lot.

user posted image

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Apr 12 2011, 03:03 PM)
I'm no psychiatrist, but I have a suspicion that Neil has Asperger syndrome, or something similar.

Actually, my GF said the same thing about Neil. She has a 19 year old son with autism (PDD) and is well versed in the wide spectrum. Some of Neil's "behaviors" mirror the symptoms/characteristics of certain forms of autism. Of course, ALL of us, at some point could exhibit "autistic behaviors", but I still found her theory rather interesting.

And before someone goes off on me, I'm not bashing Neil OR people with autism.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2011, 09:34 PM)

Actually, my GF said the same thing about Neil. She has a 19 year old son with autism (PDD) and is well versed in the wide spectrum. Some of Neil's "behaviors" mirror the symptoms/characteristics of certain forms of autism. Of course, ALL of us, at some point could exhibit "autistic behaviors", but I still found her theory rather interesting.

I've seen the theory (Neil & Asperger's) mentioned before, and sure, it makes for interesting speculation. But really, he is who he is. If it were confirmed somehow that yes, indeed he's been tested and confirmed to have Asperger's, it wouldn't change anything. (Maybe we'd have fewer "Neil's a dick" threads, but somehow I doubt even that).

It's a sign of the times that we have to slap a label on everyone.

How is Rush losing their integrity? I don't see it, at all. Musicians perform music. I've read nothing recently that gave me the impression that Rush is not being honest and upfront with what they are currently doing. Writing and performing music. Jeez...

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2011, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2011, 09:34 PM)

I've seen the theory (Neil & Asperger's) mentioned before, and sure, it makes for interesting speculation. But really, he is who he is. If it were confirmed somehow that yes, indeed he's been tested and confirmed to have Asperger's, it wouldn't change anything. (Maybe we'd have fewer "Neil's a dick" threads, but somehow I doubt even that).

It's a sign of the times that we have to slap a label on everyone.

Why is simply being a private person not acceptable? The fact is, he's very open about his life. He simply is uncomfortable sharing it in particular situations.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 12 2011, 04:16 AM)
The one thing I always find funny is when I or anyone else mentions Rush doing a lot of touring and it having somewhat of a "cash grab" quality about it. People who defend the band and think they can do no wrong are always quick to try and point out things like "maybe the band just really WANTS to tour... again," and "if they didn't like touring so much, they obviously wouldn't do it," always giving the band the benefit of the doubt.

I would say there's a lot of evidence to the contrary, as evidenced by some of what's stated in this thread. From what I've read, Neil would rather be in a studio than doing endless touring. The motivations to tour are not quite as noble as some love to claim.

I disagree. Neil strikes me as the kind of guy who can't be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. Would YOU like to try that? Didn't think so wink.gif

For me its all about seeing them play those amazing records just as great live. If they is one thing they taught me above all is be able to play yer sh*t live

News Update:

1.) The members of Rush are not in the music business to give away their music, and should not be looked at as "losing their integrity" by finding a way to make money in this currently precarious music climate. That means touring, not making records once a year. Only no-talent haircuts like Justin Bieber sell CDs and iTunes files these days.

2.) The Time Machine Tour is ONE BIG WORLD TOUR split up into a two-year period. The guys are pushing 60 and they value family life far more than staying out on the road for nine months straight. Unless I'm mistaken, the only venue that's a repeat from last year is the MGM in Las Vegas. Those who complain that Rush are shamelessly milking the touring thing and are lazily repeating last year's set list don't seem to get that.

3.) Many people here think it's just Neil who loathes touring, and that he's dragging Ged and Alex down. False. As heard in a recent radio interview, the only thing Geddy likes about touring is playing the actual shows. Sound familiar?

4.) Being introverted and closed-off with strangers does not have to mean Aspergers. Some people are just LIKE that, and some of those people are famous. It happens. Don't over-analyze it.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled bitchfest.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 12 2011, 10:57 PM)
News Update:

1.) The members of Rush are not in the music business to give away their music, and should not be looked at as "losing their integrity" by finding a way to make money in this currently precarious music climate. That means touring, not making records once a year. Only no-talent haircuts like Justin Bieber sell CDs and iTunes files these days.

2.) The Time Machine Tour is ONE BIG WORLD TOUR split up into a two-year period. The guys are pushing 60 and they value family life far more than staying out on the road for nine months straight. Unless I'm mistaken, the only venue that's a repeat from last year is the MGM in Las Vegas. Those who complain that Rush are shamelessly milking the touring thing and are lazily repeating last year's set list don't seem to get that.

3.) Many people here think it's just Neil who loathes touring, and that he's dragging Ged and Alex down. False. As heard in a
recent radio interview, the only thing Geddy likes about touring is playing the actual shows. Sound familiar?

4.) Being introverted and closed-off with strangers does not have to mean Aspergers. Some people are just LIKE that, and some of those people are famous. It happens. Don't over-analyze it.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled bitchfest.

goodpost.gif

Archived