Peart Still Having Inner Ear Issues?

puscifer

I've noticed in all the new photos of the 2011 Time Machine Tour that Neil is still wearing the headphones as opposed to the in ear monitors. Has anyone heard if he is still having issues with infection or is this merely by choice? When I first saw the new pictures of him wearing the headphones I was surprised and wondered if he will in fact wear them for the taping of the Cleveland show. Here is what was Neil originally said about switching to the headphones. "... The headphones I'm wearing also round off the ear-infection story, for now-or at least suggest the short version. After much experimentation with eardrops, creams, and hypotheses, two excellent doctors, Dr. Buzz Reifman and Dr. David Opperman, persuaded me to visit their clinic in Denver, specializing in "Care of the Professional Voice," but also a musician's ear, nose, and throat problems. Both ears were badly infected, aggravated by wearing the in-ear monitors onstage, and perhaps by wearing earplugs on the motorcycle, too-heat and moisture create a rainforest environment for bacteria, fungus, eczema, and psoriasis. The doctors prescribed a heavy regimen of three different antibiotics, and recommended that I switch to headphones (and no earplugs on the bike, but its Cee Bailey windscreen is pretty quiet). Within a few days, they had given me back two reasonably healthy ears. Never again will I take for granted simply hearing what I'm playing, what the other guys are playing, and-in everyday life-what people are saying to me. ..." Edited by puscifer

QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 6 2011, 07:30 AM)
I've noticed in all the new photos of the 2011 Time Machine Tour that Neil is still wearing the headphones as opposed to the in ear monitors. Has anyone heard if he is still having issues with infection or is this merely by choice? When I first saw the new pictures of him wearing the headphones I was surprised and wondered if he will in fact wear them for the taping of the Cleveland show. Here is what was Neil originally said about switching to the headphones. "... The headphones I'm wearing also round off the ear-infection story, for now-or at least suggest the short version. After much experimentation with eardrops, creams, and hypotheses, two excellent doctors, Dr. Buzz Reifman and Dr. David Opperman, persuaded me to visit their clinic in Denver, specializing in "Care of the Professional Voice," but also a musician's ear, nose, and throat problems. Both ears were badly infected, aggravated by wearing the in-ear monitors onstage, and perhaps by wearing earplugs on the motorcycle, too-heat and moisture create a rainforest environment for bacteria, fungus, eczema, and psoriasis. The doctors prescribed a heavy regimen of three different antibiotics, and recommended that I switch to headphones (and no earplugs on the bike, but its Cee Bailey windscreen is pretty quiet). Within a few days, they had given me back two reasonably healthy ears. Never again will I take for granted simply hearing what I'm playing, what the other guys are playing, and-in everyday life-what people are saying to me. ..."

The headphones allowed him to hear everything soo much better, that he now prefers them over IEM's. Remember, Neil is not only monitoring himself, but he also has Geddy's and/or Alex's sound increased & decreased MANY times throughout the show, as well as hearing "silent" count offs/ques. Being the consummate perfectionist that he is, if it gives him the ability to play better, he'll do it, regardless of the way the headphones look on him.

Never again will I take for granted simply hearing what I'm playing, what the other guys are playing, and-in everyday life-what people are saying to me.

I think this says alot - I don't think he's willing to go back to the IEMs even if they sounded just as good (which they don't). Not wanting to create another rainforest effect...

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 6 2011, 08:33 AM)
I've noticed in all the new photos of the 2011 Time Machine Tour that Neil is still wearing the headphones as opposed to the in ear monitors.  Has anyone heard if he is still having issues with infection or is this merely by choice?  When I first saw the new pictures of him wearing the headphones I was surprised and wondered if he will in fact wear them for the taping of the Cleveland show.  Here is what was Neil originally said about switching to the headphones. "... The headphones I'm wearing also round off the ear-infection story, for now-or at least suggest the short version. After much experimentation with eardrops, creams, and hypotheses, two excellent doctors, Dr. Buzz Reifman and Dr. David Opperman, persuaded me to visit their clinic in Denver, specializing in "Care of the Professional Voice," but also a musician's ear, nose, and throat problems. Both ears were badly infected, aggravated by wearing the in-ear monitors onstage, and perhaps by wearing earplugs on the motorcycle, too-heat and moisture create a rainforest environment for bacteria, fungus, eczema, and psoriasis. The doctors prescribed a heavy regimen of three different antibiotics, and recommended that I switch to headphones (and no earplugs on the bike, but its Cee Bailey windscreen is pretty quiet). Within a few days, they had given me back two reasonably healthy ears. Never again will I take for granted simply hearing what I'm playing, what the other guys are playing, and-in everyday life-what people are saying to me. ..."

The headphones allowed him to hear everything soo much better, that he now prefers them over IEM's. Remember, Neil is not only monitoring himself, but he also has Geddy's and/or Alex's sound increased & decreased MANY times throughout the show, as well as hearing "silent" count offs/ques. Being the consummate perfectionist that he is, if it gives him the ability to play better, he'll do it, regardless of the way the headphones look on him.

Have you heard him say that or are you assuming that is the case?

I agree, the cans are better for hearing everything, but I haven't seen Neil make any public statement regarding that.

Can you cite a source where Neil indicates this is his preference for the ongoing tour?

[/quote]

schla03.gif

another post of the obvious...

ooohhh: he listens to geddy AND alex...geeze- what insight!

I just watched the documentary from the Toronto stop on the S&A tour where the monitor tech discussed cleaning the ear monitors before each show to prevent such things. I wear ear monitors and never entertained the idea of infections.

QUOTE (wolfy @ Apr 6 2011, 10:55 AM)
I wear ear monitors and never entertained the idea of infections.

I've never had an issue either. I have played tours cleaning them every night and tours only cleaning them once or twice a week and never had an issue. I'm actually impressed Neil can play such a long show wearing headphones because the comfort and sweat factor alone would drive me crazy.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 6 2011, 02:17 PM)
Didn't he use them also on the GuP tour when they played The Weapon?

Yes you're correct. If I'm not mistaken though they didn't use in ear monitors back then though. Just regular on stage monitors. In ear monitor technology wasn't that big or maybe even around back then?!?! Don't quote me on that though.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 6 2011, 09:33 AM)
I've noticed in all the new photos of the 2011 Time Machine Tour that Neil is still wearing the headphones as opposed to the in ear monitors.  Has anyone heard if he is still having issues with infection or is this merely by choice?  When I first saw the new pictures of him wearing the headphones I was surprised and wondered if he will in fact wear them for the taping of the Cleveland show.  Here is what was Neil originally said about switching to the headphones. "... The headphones I'm wearing also round off the ear-infection story, for now-or at least suggest the short version. After much experimentation with eardrops, creams, and hypotheses, two excellent doctors, Dr. Buzz Reifman and Dr. David Opperman, persuaded me to visit their clinic in Denver, specializing in "Care of the Professional Voice," but also a musician's ear, nose, and throat problems. Both ears were badly infected, aggravated by wearing the in-ear monitors onstage, and perhaps by wearing earplugs on the motorcycle, too-heat and moisture create a rainforest environment for bacteria, fungus, eczema, and psoriasis. The doctors prescribed a heavy regimen of three different antibiotics, and recommended that I switch to headphones (and no earplugs on the bike, but its Cee Bailey windscreen is pretty quiet). Within a few days, they had given me back two reasonably healthy ears. Never again will I take for granted simply hearing what I'm playing, what the other guys are playing, and-in everyday life-what people are saying to me. ..."

Interesting and kind of funny - I remember how happy he was when Lorne got him to try the IEMs, because he'd never liked wearing the headphones!

here's a little postcard that Neil sent me years ago regarding IEM

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/postcards/images/pc2back.jpg

Ah so even Neil used ear filters. I'm wondering if he will be switching to the IEMs for the Cleavland DVD recording, or not, frankly doesn't make a difference to me as long as it's a great show that's being recorded.

Being the consummate perfectionist that he is, if it gives him the ability to play better, he'll do it, regardless of the way the headphones look on him.

sure! i mean, he wears that damn hat , doesn't he? laugh.gif

NeilFinal.gif

awww, i kid. i kid because i love.

and, @cygnify - awesome postcard. how cool that he used to send those out!

Edited by evilsugar25

QUOTE (Enviro_tech @ Apr 6 2011, 08:15 PM)
Ah so even Neil used ear filters. I'm wondering if he will be switching to the IEMs for the Cleavland DVD recording, or not, frankly doesn't make a difference to me as long as it's a great show that's being recorded.

I could not agree more, his playing is the most important, the rest is just... wtf.gif

QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 6 2011, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 6 2011, 02:17 PM)
Didn't he use them also on the GuP tour when they played The Weapon?

Yes you're correct. If I'm not mistaken though they didn't use in ear monitors back then though. Just regular on stage monitors. In ear monitor technology wasn't that big or maybe even around back then?!?! Don't quote me on that though.

Neil used headphones for the Weapon etc as he had a click track running. However, for the last 8-10 years Neil hasn't used a click track even though there are plenty of sequences and samples. He relies on rehearsal to nail the tempo and adjusts during the song where necessary.

QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Apr 16 2011, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 16 2011, 03:07 AM)
FYI.....Neil did wear in ear monitors tonight for the Cleveland show!

i was wondering about that... thanks for the info

What a wuss. Just so he looks good on video.