30th Anniversary Moving Pictures tomorrow!!!

ak2112

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 6 2011, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (chemistry @ Apr 6 2011, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 5 2011, 07:50 PM)
quick note of interest:

Vital Signs (the video) vs. Vital Signs (the song)

^ it's been so long since I've seen the video, maybe this has always been the case... but Geddy's vocal take on the vid is a different take

it's even produced differently (that early slap-back delay from the version on MP is gone) - and IMO I like it a whole lot better

the differences are mostly subtle, but Geddy sings "...courageous convictions" quite differently

also, during the outro, Geddy does not sing "...escalate from the norm" as he does on MP

finally, there are added sound effects during the "...pause/rewind/replay" lyrics (quite literally, the sound of cassette tapes being rewound)

small stuff I know, but the differences make it a legitimately different version

Why Why Why WHYYYY did they ruin the video by replacing the vocals.....AND the kind of echoey ness!! ohmy.gif They Did the same thing to P/G video on Ememy within,ESL (the crowd noise adjustments and omiting "Attention All Planets Of The Solar Federation"! If it aint Broke ....Sorry dont mean to be a Whiny Beatch on my first post being "Chemistry" from the disbanded Rush Forum!

you know what the best thing about the different vocal take in the VS video is, Chem?

they didn't eliminate the original version from the album

WINNNG

Yes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just now giving the DVD-A a listen now. My first impression did not completely overwhelm me but it still sounds pretty damn good; a marked improvement over the horrible 97 remaster. I've been switching back and forth between 2 channel and 5.1 just to keep things interesting. YYZ and Camera Eye in particular sound great in surround sound. I think they 2 channel has a tad too much top end but again, its better than the last remaster. I'm glad they've finally put out a Rush album in high-rez 5.1. Geddys vocals sound really wonderul and I'm hearing all kinds of nuances in his voice I hadnt noticed before. That being said, I do think the surround layer is front heavy and they could have done more with the surround channels.

It's going to take a while for me to fully evaluate this new version of the album with the 4 other versions I have! Still, its wonderful to hear details I had never know existed before. FUN!!

BTW, I read an interview with Richard Chycki and he mentioned that he'd really like to do Caress of Steel next in surround! He must be a real Rush freak if thats the next album that comes to his mind.

After much listening, I can say that I really do enjoy this 5.1 mix, but for 2 channel I still think the MFSL is the best, followed very closely by the US Atomic. The 2 channel on the DVD-A is just too damn loud, though not as bad as the 97 remasters. They could have done much better I think but I'm still very happy with my purchase. Havent listened to the remastered CD portion yet.

Read over at Rushisaband that Caress of Steel, 2112, Hemispheres, Power Windows and Vapor Trails had been seriously discussed by the band as other albums that would get the 5.1 treatment.

AWESOME!!!

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 7 2011, 10:34 AM)
Read over at Rushisaband that Caress of Steel, 2112, Hemispheres, Power Windows and Vapor Trails had been seriously discussed by the band as other albums that would get the 5.1 treatment.

AWESOME!!!

I'll get Vapor Trials first. The others are maybe, eventually down the line purchases.

YEA YEA whine whine cry cry then you get the peeps making me jealous... here is one for you all... I live in southern Ontario between Toronto and Niagara Falls ok? there is NO and I mean NO store that has the BluRay combo or even the DVD combo in stock???? (Best Buy) I go to order online and they show the DVD combo, but the higher price does not clearly say any where that it is the BluRay vers.???? I have ordered the $24.99 vers. with comon sense thinking but will be really pissed if it is not BluRay!!! My question is how the hell could all the stores in southern ontario be sold out by noon the day they went on sale unless they only had like 2 copies per store delivered? Here is the link mabe somebody could tell me what I have orderd... please!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResults...y=Entire%20Site

BestBuy Canada you are quit the joke!

Mike

QUOTE (Hear Again @ Apr 7 2011, 04:59 PM)
Yep, that should be it.
The stock code # on my receipt is 2189951 for CD/BD combo.

Take Care

thank you my mind is at somewhat at peace NOT I WANT MY RUSH!!!

once again thanx 653.gif rofl3.gif trink38.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 7 2011, 11:34 AM)

AWESOME!!!

Discussed? It should have used the word "decided" instead! C'mon Rush, get with the program!

But seriously, that will be great!

The album sounds great!! I disagree with most saying Red Barchetta is the best song for the 5.1, as I found the entire Side 2 so much better! The Camera Eye has an incredible opening, with various yelling and general city sounds surrounding you. Witch Hunt has this incredible moment during the opening when the synth sounds circle completely around you a few times. Vital Signs's opening is incredible in 5.1, as the computer sound effects bounce around everywhere. Great purchase!

The CD sounds great, but I've listened to this album so many thousands of times that I it's hard to notice huge differences in the stereo mix. I downloaded FLACs of the hi-res 24-bit stereo mix that's on the DVD, which I'll listen to later tonight. If the blu-ray 5.1 mix is as amazing as you guys say it is, I need to start looking more seriously into getting a setup.

Great liner essay by David Fricke too. One of the only two Rolling Stone writers (the other being Rob Sheffield) with any credibility.

I readily admit I'm not a musician, so the 4/4 and all that stuff sounds like a foreign language to me, but it does seem that The Camera Eye is just a little bit faster than the original. Or maybe it's just my ears. I really wish they would give all their albums this same treatment though. Sounds terrific, and no one else is home so I can blast it. Good times.

QUOTE (mpk22 @ Apr 8 2011, 01:14 PM)
I readily admit I'm not a musician, so the 4/4 and all that stuff sounds like a foreign language to me, but it does seem that The Camera Eye is just a little bit faster than the original. Or maybe it's just my ears. I really wish they would give all their albums this same treatment though. Sounds terrific, and no one else is home so I can blast it. Good times.

No your hearing things. wink.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Apr 7 2011, 07:56 PM)
The album sounds great!! I disagree with most saying Red Barchetta is the best song for the 5.1, as I found the entire Side 2 so much better! The Camera Eye has an incredible opening, with various yelling and general city sounds surrounding you. Witch Hunt has this incredible moment during the opening when the synth sounds circle completely around you a few times. Vital Signs's opening is incredible in 5.1, as the computer sound effects bounce around everywhere. Great purchase!

The whole thing is breathtaking in BD 5.1

I am so impressed and it has basically along with this last tour breathed an entire new life into my third favorite Rush album of all time.

I hope they release all the albums this way. I have the DVD of Chronicles and the new remastered versions of the videos are MUCH better. Can you imagine some of those cheesy 80s videos on a Blu Ray? Priceless. laugh.gif

Went out and got a copy today - didn't want to wait for amazon to ship it.

I popped it into the car CD right away and cranked it up. Sounds pretty great. Especially YYZ. I only got as far as Limelight, though. I'll listen to the rest in our studio later. After I watch the DVD cool.gif

I havent had as much of a chance to listen to this as I would like but after more listens I still think the MFSL is better. I have other DVD-Audio discs that blow this thing out of the water. I remain disappointed.

I had to buy the expensive "cool" shit and now I cant watch the Moving Pictures BluRay cause of this fact...

I tried many times. tried to update. no update. this is a bunch of bullshit.

Sony Blu-Ray/google TV player. NSZ-GT1

if anyone has a way to fix this issue please let me know because I just want to throw the son of a bitch in the trash. (500 dollar f***ing blu-ray player)

I guess i could be more specific and less of a douche. the screen reads "Disc not playable" when inserted. I tried literally 10 other Blu-Ray's and they work fine. im pissed.

QUOTE (L. Wince @ Apr 9 2011, 01:11 AM)
I guess i could be more specific and less of a douche. the screen reads "Disc not playable" when inserted. I tried literally 10 other Blu-Ray's and they work fine. im pissed.

Do you have to update the disc player's software?

Whoops. I didn't read your earlier post before responding. Sorry.

QUOTE (L. Wince @ Apr 8 2011, 11:58 PM)
I had to buy the expensive "cool" shit and now I cant watch the Moving Pictures BluRay cause of this fact...

I tried many times. tried to update. no update. this is a bunch of bullshit.

Sony Blu-Ray/google TV player. NSZ-GT1

if anyone has a way to fix this issue please let me know because I just want to throw the son of a bitch in the trash. (500 dollar f***ing blu-ray player)

I have two friends that have the same bluray player and they both have experienced the ame problem you're having. Looks like its an issue with the device itself. Sorry dude, that blows!!

Finally heard this in 5.1 (as my new sound system arrived and all set up by lil 'ol me) and damn, it was great! Hearing all these little nuances I've never really heard before, it was exciting to hear!

I love how the brakes screech into Alex's solo.

Archived