Not supporting Rush financially anymore

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 3 2011, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 3 2011, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 3 2011, 11:00 AM)
rofl3.gif

I am sure they are crushed.

2.gif

Don't laugh. Things are a lot worse that we thought. sad.gif

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/rushcom.jpg

This is a riot!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Post of the year! laugh.gif

+1

This is brilliant! rofl3.gif

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 07:42 PM)
Rush does not have to be the only band on their label. Do you know how many bands they can give an opportunity to? It could be something they can make money on for the rest of their lives...then they could stop touring.  biggrin.gif

Starting a record label to retire on? Nah, there's much wiser things they could do with their money, like buying lottery tickets, or setting their cash on fire.

I've spent the last half hour reading the rest of this thread (after I posted). There are good points made all around and everyone has what they feel are valid reasons for holding the opinions they do. And that's great. We're discussing and debating. Which is apparently above the OP's pay grade.

But I would like to address the idea that perhaps the guys aren't doing the tour at least in part because they enjoy it. Well, once I say that this is how they earn their living so why shouldn't they be paid well? I'm damned envious, too! Who wouldn't love to make a living doing what they love to do with people they love to be with?

All I have to do is look at pictures like this....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/CopyofGeddyAlex101.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/AlexNeil16.jpg

... and I can see that these are men who are having a grand old time doing what they are doing. And I could pull up pictures like this from every show. How can you think that they aren't enjoying what they do? Because they grumble sometimes? Well, sh1t... who doesn't bitch about their job?

Whatever each of us thinks, the boys have made it clear on several occasions that they love what they do. That they would continue to do it even if we abandoned them. They are pleasing themselves with the music. That some of us are pleased as well is just that much better.

PS: Goobs that "announcement" is so freaking funny! 2funny.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 4 2011, 08:19 AM)
rofl3.gif

2.gif

This is a riot!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

+1

^This..! tongue.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 4 2011, 04:10 AM)
I've spent the last half hour reading the rest of this thread (after I posted). There are good points made all around and everyone has what they feel are valid reasons for holding the opinions they do. And that's great. We're discussing and debating. Which is apparently above the OP's pay grade.

But I would like to address the idea that perhaps the guys aren't doing the tour at least in part because they enjoy it. Well, once I say that this is how they earn their living so why shouldn't they be paid well? I'm damned envious, too! Who wouldn't love to make a living doing what they love to do with people they love to be with?

All I have to do is look at pictures like this....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/CopyofGeddyAlex101.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/AlexNeil16.jpg

... and I can see that these are men who are having a grand old time doing what they are doing. And I could pull up pictures like this from every show. How can you think that they aren't enjoying what they do? Because they grumble sometimes? Well, sh1t... who doesn't bitch about their job?

Whatever each of us thinks, the boys have made it clear on several occasions that they love what they do. That they would continue to do it even if we abandoned them. They are pleasing themselves with the music. That some of us are pleased as well is just that much better.

PS: Goobs that "announcement" is so freaking funny! 2funny.gif

i'd be happy to if i was close to retirement with a steady cash flow and a nice nest egg. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 4 2011, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 4 2011, 08:19 AM)
rofl3.gif

2.gif

This is a riot!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

+1

^This..! tongue.gif

Ah, GeminiRising knows I tease in good fun. Thanks, everyone. wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:35 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 3 2011, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 3 2011, 10:13 PM)
Goobs, I'm not sure you appreciate just how dreadful the situation with music sales is. Not only is there no money to be made, it's actually worse than that. The fact is, writing, producing and promoting an album of the kind of standards expected of Rush would most likely be a money-losing proposition at this point, possibly to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars or more. It's completely unreasonable to expect other people to throw away that kind of money simply to satisfy your notions of artistic integrity.

They should do it because that is what they do! Musicians make music!

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

That seems so obvious to me.

And it's pretty simple. Add one more date to a tour, and voila, the album is paid for - the fans are happy, and the band gets to continue the creative process that is the basis of what being in a band is.

Remember, there's a record label, producer and a lot of other people who have a say in things.

If they really wanted to they could put out their own albums. Much poorer bands do it every day. Start their own label...like moon records! Or Rocinante.

How much does it cost to write, record, mix, master, package, ship and promote an album on a professional level? As rich as some of us think Rush is, if they record an album out of pocket, they will probably lose money.

Why is everything about money? Geddy has a goddamn wine cellar. Do you? It's always about the music. If I had the talent to create a brilliant album, I'd do it and put a second and third mortgage on my house.

Really? In this real estate market? unsure.gif

Why is it about money? It's their freakin' livelihood! That's why! Art for art's sake shouldn't bankrupt someone.

laugh.gif Funny. Bankruptcy? rofl3.gif

Hey, don't fool yourself. Most of what we consider rich is not money under the mattress or gold bars hidden in the walls. It's the "rich" who go bankrupt the most.

Yeah...because they get stupid like MC Hammer and buy 100 of their closest friends mansions. I don't think Rush has that problem.

No, they don't! And it's because they won't make a bad financial investment, like starting they're own record label!

You know, the sad thing about this whole stupid argument (of which I am a participant, don't get me wrong), is that if Rush just

PUT OUT A F*CKING ALBUM MORE OFTEN THAN ONCE EVERY FOUR OR FIVE YEARS

this would be a moot point, and we'd have no need for this ridiculous conversation.

This is the crux of the matter - you get an active band enjoying a huge resurgence of popularity who STILL won't put out an album more often than every four or five years, and what do you expect?

Jeez, just release a studio album every once in awhile because that's what bands do and that's what the fans want. Virtually every hardcore Rush fan in their heart of hearts truly wants more studio albums of new material. The gap between T4E and VT was due to extraordinary and completely understandable circumstances, but why do they STILL need so many years between albums? All the arguments of that's not where the money is or they just love touring or whatever just sounds like excuses and noise to me. Bands make albums. That's what they do. This is an active band and not a semi-retired one. Seriously, ONE extra night on tour will pay for any losses. What on earth is the big deal?

Goobs, I'm not sure you appreciate just how dreadful the situation with music sales is. Not only is there no money to be made, it's actually worse than that. The fact is, writing, producing and promoting an album of the kind of standards expected of Rush would most likely be a money-losing proposition at this point, possibly to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars or more. It's completely unreasonable to expect other people to throw away that kind of money simply to satisfy your notions of artistic integrity.

And it's pretty simple. Add one more date to a tour, and voila, the album is paid for - the fans are happy, and the band gets to continue the creative process that is the basis of what being in a band is.

Remember, there's a record label, producer and a lot of other people who have a say in things.

If they really wanted to they could put out their own albums. Much poorer bands do it every day. Start their own label...like moon records! Or Rocinante.

How much does it cost to write, record, mix, master, package, ship and promote an album on a professional level? As rich as some of us think Rush is, if they record an album out of pocket, they will probably lose money.

Why is everything about money? Geddy has a goddamn wine cellar. Do you? It's always about the music. If I had the talent to create a brilliant album, I'd do it and put a second and third mortgage on my house.

Why is it about money? It's their freakin' livelihood! That's why! Art for art's sake shouldn't bankrupt someone.

Hey, don't fool yourself. Most of what we consider rich is not money under the mattress or gold bars hidden in the walls. It's the "rich" who go bankrupt the most.

Like him?

http://dailybail.com/storage/lenny-dykstra.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 07:29 AM)

Yeah...because they get stupid like MC Hammer and buy 100 of their closest friends mansions. I don't think Rush has that problem.

No, they don't! And it's because they won't make a bad financial investment, like starting they're own record label!

You know, the sad thing about this whole stupid argument (of which I am a participant, don't get me wrong), is that if Rush just

this would be a moot point, and we'd have no need for this ridiculous conversation.

This is the crux of the matter - you get an active band enjoying a huge resurgence of popularity who STILL won't put out an album more often than every four or five years, and what do you expect?

Jeez, just release a studio album every once in awhile because that's what bands do and that's what the fans want. Virtually every hardcore Rush fan in their heart of hearts truly wants more studio albums of new material. The gap between T4E and VT was due to extraordinary and completely understandable circumstances, but why do they STILL need so many years between albums? All the arguments of that's not where the money is or they just love touring or whatever just sounds like excuses and noise to me. Bands make albums. That's what they do. This is an active band and not a semi-retired one. Seriously, ONE extra night on tour will pay for any losses. What on earth is the big deal?

I don't think Neil's wife and kid dying helped there...

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 4 2011, 04:34 AM)

Which is why I said the gap between T4E and VT was completely understandable. It's the subsequent gaps I don't get.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 4 2011, 04:34 AM)

Which is why I said the gap between T4E and VT was completely understandable. It's the subsequent gaps I don't get.

Even still, are they're doing much better than their "competition", if you can call other bands that?

What has Journey done? Van Halen? The Who? Aerosmith? Kiss? ZZ Top?

I heard Styx had a new album. Whitesnake just came up with one.

U2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_discography

Their last studio albums, 200, 2004, and 2009...

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 06:20 PM)
I've decided that until Rush produces new music worthy of listening to (lyrics aside), and/or produces setlists worth my time, I will not be supporting them financially. This "doing sh!t their way" has run its course. Game-up or retire to save any remaining integrity you have.

My honest opinion- and, no... not trolling.

What a drama queen..... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

maybe they just have other things to do between albums and tours. not to mention their tours seem to stretch out over 1 year or 2 at a time now. but really, yell all ya want, they will do what they want to do and who can tell them any different. when you get to the point that you can tour for a few weeks, then take off some time to keep yer family together, and then go back out, i have no prob with it. when they play, i go, when they record i buy, when they dont i have other bands to see and hear too. join the boycott if its such an issue, that they owe you whatever you think they should be doing

oh yeah, they are gettin my $$$ friday in Hershey...who's goin?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 06:29 AM)

I don't disagree with you but take a look at Tull, for instance. They haven't put out an album for 11 years yet have been touring almost every single year since Dot Com. sad.gif

Point being; it could be worse.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Apr 4 2011, 01:50 PM)

I don't disagree with you but take a look at Tull, for instance. They haven't put out an album for 11 years yet have been touring almost every single year since Dot Com. sad.gif

They could also be like Aerosmith and put out an album every few years that's pure crap.

It could be MUCH worse.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 4 2011, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Apr 4 2011, 01:50 PM)

They could also be like Aerosmith and put out an album every few years that's pure crap.

It could be MUCH worse.

Ah, what a wonderful place we've come to: "IT COULD BE WORSE."

Ladies and Gentleman, call off the dogs, all is well. After all, it could be worse! I feel thrilled with the situation now! biggrin.gif

sarcasm.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Apr 4 2011, 10:50 AM)

First of all, I feel like a parent when a child says, but Johnny's mother says he can go, why can't I???

Just because Jethro Tull and Aerosmith and Van Halen or whomever hasn't put out an album in forever means nothing to me in regards to Rush. Actually, I guess I wouldn't care if not for S&A, which for me showed that they've still got the potential for great music. Jethro Tull and Aerosmith haven't put out anything great for so long, that I doubt they even have the capacity to anymore, so no real loss. The fact that we know that Rush CAN still make great material, and that they've gone the last 20 years with so few albums is for me a great loss of what could have been. And even sadder, there's no indication that the trend will get any better... sad.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 06:20 PM)
I've decided that until Rush produces new music worthy of listening to (lyrics aside), and/or produces setlists worth my time, I will not be supporting them financially.  This "doing sh!t their way" has run its course.  Game-up or retire to save any remaining integrity you have.

My honest opinion- and, no...  not trolling.

My dissenting-from-the-majority 1.5 cents:

Pre-HYF: Most songs I like, a few I don't. Post-GUP - the opposite is true. Ged's voice also changed drastically, long ago, and I greatly prefer his Hemispheres era voice. That's just a natural progression that is nobody's fault. 'Tis what it is.

I don't spend much $$ on Rush anymore, but I still come here to hang out once in a while and will always respect Rush even if they continue releasing material I have no interest in. They are forever one of my favorites, based mainly on the olden days.

I did see Rush live in '02 and '04 after many years without, and I felt like I was seeing old friends.

cool.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 4 2011, 11:36 AM)
oh yeah, they are gettin my $$$ friday in Hershey...who's goin?

Me! We'll be at the Red Robin in town at 4:00-ish if anyone wants to meet up for preshow munchies. burger2.gif I'll be looking just like my pic below.

Archived