Huge Hamilton, ON show plannig F/Up

I just realized that the Hamilton, ON show falls on the 2nd night of Passover. It is astonishing that Geddy would be playing on a night where Jewish family's gather for a traditional Passover meal (the 2nd of the two). What is more alarming is that his family has a long Jewish history and as we all know his mother is a Holocaust survivor. I have been told not all families do the dinner both nights (18th and 19th this year) but I am still very disappointed with RUSH's scheduling of the event. I know many Jewish fans (my concert partner being one) who I am sure are very pissed about this.

RUSH has lost a lot of my respect over this and that's really sad...

Geddy's a cultural not religious Jew.

The religion of Ru$h is the almighty $.

Hallelujah, Praise the Green!!!!!

There's a lot better reasons to lose respect for Rush than this.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Mar 22 2011, 07:20 PM)
Geddy's a cultural not religious Jew.

Thank you. He's not doing it to offend anyone... hell, he may not even realize the conflict of events.

Religious or not, I still think that the holiday should have been taken into consideration. I'm not religious but still make the effort to observe the holiday, including the two festive meals with family/friends. It's not a "high holiday" like Yom Kippur but it is still one of several important Jewish festival days that fall during the year. For Geddy to push the show a few days later/earlier would not have been such a huge deal IMO. I wonder how his family feels about this, being that I'm assuming they gather and celebrate the holiday. However, it is not uncommon to only hold a dinner on the first night (Monday the 18th).

Google "Passover Holiday" if you don't know what the festival I am talking about is.

Edited by PriestOfSyrinx

TBH, I think the Hamilton show is going to sell out one way or another, regardless of what holiday it lands on. Besides, why hate or lose respect in Geddy because he isn't very religious? Everyone's entitled to their own belief system and if Ged wants to do a show on passover before heading over to Montreal on the 21st, so be it.

Well, at least they're being consistent - the Baltimore show later that week is on Good Friday night. Not as big a holiday as Easter (Sunday), but still a factor for devout Christians, and an important holiday weekend for any Christian. Bottom line is, if they'd factored holidays into their schedule, they'd have had to shorten the first North American leg by a week. They probably didn't want to do that...they likely DO realize it'll cost them some attendees, but will provide others an opportunity to go to a show that they wouldn't have if the shows weren't scheduled.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 26 2011, 06:09 PM)
So celebrate it at the Rush concert. Make a banner that says "Happy PASSOVER", shut up, and have fun!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (PriestOfSyrinx @ Mar 22 2011, 09:18 PM)
...For Geddy to push the show a few days later/earlier would not have been such a huge deal IMO...

why is it that people conveniently forget that it's really not that easy to "push a show up a few days". Venues do have other events going on than Rush. Most venues have 2 sports teams, circuses, and other performance acts booked, and it's not so easy to change the date with the venue. Also, there's the tour logistics to take into account. Really, if they reschedule the date they have for Hamilton, most likely it would be much later in the tour and it makes more sense for them to play Hamilton around when they are playing Montreal, say, than it would be if it were around when they are playing Texas. It's also not "just" up to Geddy, or even all three of them. They really have no input where and when they play (just that their scheduled time off be around LA wink.gif) - their manager coordinates all the stops.