Addicted to your phone?

Mara

Most of us saw the video earlier this year of the woman who was so absorbed in text messaging that she didn't look where she was going and went ass over teakettle into a fountain. Once or twice I've nearly hit someone who was so focused on that little screen that they walked straight into oncoming traffic.

I've been stuck in traffic behind maddening idiots who don't realize the light's changed. Their attention is consumed by the phone. Like as not they will flip you the bird when you honk the horn at them. We have to have laws now that make it illegal to text while driving. It's scary when common sense has to be legislated.

How attached are you to your mobile communications device? Do you respond to calls/texts/e-mails when you are at the movies, or at dinner with the family? At what point does it become rude?

I've been thinking about this since Wednesday morning when I kicked my husband out of my hospital room. Yes, that's right - I told him to leave. I'd had a rotten night of itching from a drug reaction, pain, and had had NO sleep. Finally got some decent meds when hubby arrived, phone in hand. I was happy to see him, but really all I wanted to do at that point was grab a couple of hours of sleep until the physical therapist was scheduled.

It very quickly became clear that wasn't going to happen, because my husband quickly became absorbed in his phone, texting, answering his e-mails, and making the occasional call. That f***ing phone went off, I swear, every ten seconds with some sort of alert. When I complained, he set it to vibrate, but I could still hear that and the "click-click-click" of the stupid keypad. Finally I told him to either shut the f*cker off or go elsewhere. (Yeah, I was a little cranky by then). He grumped about it and left.

Admittedly, there's not much to entertain yourself with in a hospital room when the person you're visiting just wants to sleep. But gah - I know I'm not the only one who gets put on "pause" when the phone goes off. Call me old-fashioned, but I really think there's a standard of behavior that's dropped significantly with the proliferation of portable wireless technology. Yes, it's rude to interrupt and ignore the person you're with - unless, of course, you're answering a call/text message.

Ironically, I work in wireless development and love it. I just don't love what it's done to common civility and manners. (For the record, I have the cheapest Nokia POS on the market, and I frequently shut it off when I do not wish to be bothered. Don't even think about sending me a text message; I don't have text on my plan. If you need to tell me something, call, but I'm not paying to read information I can get for free).

rantoff.gif

Edited by Mara

I'm with you Mara.

My phone of six years (I never got a new one because all I needed it for was talking and occasionally texting when I had to leave a message) just broke, and I don't miss it at all.

Instead, I am addicted to TRF, but that ain't so bad! wub.gif

We don't have a home phone anymore, just cell. When I'm at home and I'm talking to my wife, eating dinner, playing with the kids.... whatever. If my phone rings, I let VM get it. If it's a text, then I really don't care because texts are less important IMO that an actual call. Always shut it off when in a theater, hospital, doc office, anyplace like that.

I seriously do not understand the extreme fascination many people have towards technology.

I got my first cell phone in 2005. I purchased it only to have something with me in case of an accident. At the time, I was working in theatre and hosted a lot of late night events that had me leaving the theatre around 1-2am and I had a 45 minute drive home. I only used it a handful of times.

I never had a pager or cell phone prior because I hated the idea that I could be reached at any point in time. It felt like this major invasion of privacy. Besides, there are truly only a few things important enough to warrant a call where I do need to be reached in a hurry.

I bought my second cell phone a few months ago but that was only because my other one went belly up. I have no idea how to use my phone other than to dial 9-1-1. I am clueless about texting.

When you visit someone in the hospital, you're there to visit THEM, not worry about how you're going to entertain yourself. It's not a hotel room, it's a hospital -- that person is in there for a reason.

Your visit time might be limited because they might need sleep, so make the most of that time and give them your attention. Leave the phone alone. The world can wait. Common courtesy, no?

I hate phones, I always have. Particularly my crappy mobile - damn thing just told me today about a voice message from Feb 12th! ohmy.gif Luckily, it happened to be a wrong number and not something important like from a job application, which it could well have been. angry.gif

I only have the thing to contact my bandmates, honestly. If I wasn't in a band, I probably still wouldn't have one. And it took me about a year of being in the previous band to get one. And that was only a few years ago.

wacko.gif

Ironically, I'm off at lunch today and look down at my phone to check an email and realize that the screen has died. Not like drained battery died, but like died died. It rings, I can answer it, but cant see f*ck all. Thats an unusual feeling.

So reading this, I'm thinking about the prospect of going this weekend without my phone - well, I guess the actual phone part will technically work, but its a touchscreen so I wont know who's calling or what the hell I'm doing when I go to answer it. And its strange. Ask my wife and she will tell you that I basically am the guy in the "Really??" commercial for the Windows Phone - and, not unlike the fountain-plunger Mara mentioned, I'm a bit zombified by my smartphone.

But is it really about the phone and being addicted to the device itself or is it more about the fear of a sudden lack of sensory input that we've all come to accept as 'normal' day to day? So, you mean like I won't be able to tweet, text, poke, nudge, ping, email, chat, surf or doodle? F*ck. What the hell will I do with myself? lol.

And is it really any different than the generation of kids being raised today who can sit down in front of the Macbook Airs in the wifi hotspot at Starbucks and text the person next to them to say "I'm bored"??

Had this conversation last night with my seven year old son: Youre not bored. Your attention deficit is because you have too many options. I had a like a stick, a matchbox car, a bag of rocks and some dirt to play in in the driveway growing up and I kept myself plenty busy. A STICK!! (lol)

Of course, my son looked at me skeptically, what with my Blackberry stapled to my forehead and all. :-)

You know, maybe this will be a nice weekend of needed downtime.

A STICK!!

People are way too preoccupied with their phones these days! It's sickening to go out to a restaurant with people because there is usually at least one person at the table texting or talking on their phone while we are eating our meal. It just pisses me off because I find it extremely rude!

P.S. I'm glad everything went well with your surgery, Mara!!!

I got a smartphone this year, so I do text more than I used to.. But usually just to a friend if we're going to meet up somewhere or to receive stuff from the NHS sponsor (he sends out updates on volunteer opportunities via text). I also check my e-mail and TRF updates on there, and occasionally Twitter for the celebrities I stalk (not really).

But I wouldn't dream of whipping out my phone during dinner, certainly not while driving, during school, etc. etc.. If I'm standing in line somewhere, yeah, I'll take it out, but that's it. It's super-nice for checking on things and keeping organized, and even if I see a Kodak moment and need to take a snapshot, but I've been careful not to become addicted.

(That's what my laptop is for.)

Annual orientation for work yesterday... Takes about 2.5 or 3 hours. Managers at the very beginning:

'Turn your phones off. If your phone rings, we are stopping for you. If your phone rings twice, you get to leave and come back and do the whole thing over again when we kick you out and make you come back next week.

This does not mean put it on vibrate. If you are texting, we are going to stop FOR YOU. If we catch you texting after that, we will see you next week after we throw you out. Turn off your phones.'

Three people got kicked out... And were all mad about it. Dumbasses.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 4 2011, 04:42 PM)
Ironically, I'm off at lunch today and look down at my phone to check an email and realize that the screen has died. Not like drained battery died, but like died died. It rings, I can answer it, but cant see f*ck all. Thats an unusual feeling.

So reading this, I'm thinking about the prospect of going this weekend without my phone - well, I guess the actual phone part will technically work, but its a touchscreen so I wont know who's calling or what the hell I'm doing when I go to answer it....

I had the same thing happen with an old cell of mine. Phone worked, screen didn't. It sucked not knowing who was calling me, but worse than that was not being able to call anyone whose number I didn't know by heart, and that made up about 92% of my contact list.

My phone is seldom even on. I only use it when I go out, and for the same reason Janie cites - in case of emergency. My phone is quite nice, it's a Chocolate but I don't use half the bells and whistle it has. I do not text, either.

When I see someone paying more attention to their phone than 1) their companions or 2) the sales person or 3) the checkout person or 4) the waitron or 5) fill-in-the-blank..... it really ticks me off. I will often say something to the person if I can. Honestly, rudeness seems to be the norm anymore. angry.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 4 2011, 06:10 PM)
Ever had one of those situations where someone's phone rings on a bus or train & they answer it VERY LOUDLY ?! *grrrr*

"HELLO? HEY BABE....YEAH!....NO, YEAH, IM STILL ON THE TRAIN. YEAH. HEY, LISTEN..DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE.....I SAID DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE SNOW!!! THE SNOW!!!! BE CAREFUL GOING TO WORK! ITS GONNA SUCK! ...Oh....OKAY....I WASN'T PLANNING ON IT BUT YEAH ILL GO TO THE STORE. WHAT DO YOU NEED? TAMPONS? CHEDDAR CHEESE? ALRIGHT ILL PICK SOME UP. SURE! I LOVE YOU TOO! I LOVE YOU TOOO! NAH ITS COOL I CAN TALK. STILL ABOUT AN HOUR FROM NEW HAVEN ITS COOL, IM BORED ANYWAY. SHE SAID WHAT? NO f*ckin WAY! Oh..hold o...HOLD ON *presents ticket to conductor* OKAY SORRY, WHO SAID WHAT? NO WAY! I CANT BELIEVE THAT! I SAID I CANT BELIEVE THAT! I! CANT! BELIEVE! THAT! YOU'RE CUTTING OUT. I CANT HEAR YOU. HELLO? HELLLO? ILL CALL YOU BACK, THIS IS A BAD AREA!"

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 5 2011, 01:34 AM)
Ever had one of those situations where someone's phone rings on a bus or train & they answer it VERY LOUDLY ?! *grrrr*

"HELLO? HEY BABE....YEAH!....NO, YEAH, IM STILL ON THE TRAIN. YEAH. HEY, LISTEN..DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE.....I SAID DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE SNOW!!! THE SNOW!!!! BE CAREFUL GOING TO WORK! ITS GONNA SUCK! ...Oh....OKAY....I WASN'T PLANNING ON IT BUT YEAH ILL GO TO THE STORE. WHAT DO YOU NEED? TAMPONS? CHEDDAR CHEESE? ALRIGHT ILL PICK SOME UP. SURE! I LOVE YOU TOO! I LOVE YOU TOOO! NAH ITS COOL I CAN TALK. STILL ABOUT AN HOUR FROM NEW HAVEN ITS COOL, IM BORED ANYWAY. SHE SAID WHAT? NO f*ckin WAY! Oh..hold o...HOLD ON *presents ticket to conductor* OKAY SORRY, WHO SAID WHAT? NO WAY! I CANT BELIEVE THAT! I SAID I CANT BELIEVE THAT! I! CANT! BELIEVE! THAT! YOU'RE CUTTING OUT. I CANT HEAR YOU. HELLO? HELLLO? ILL CALL YOU BACK, THIS IS A BAD AREA!"

That's the one..! laugh.gif (Sorry for laughing but that's actually an accurate description!).

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 4 2011, 02:17 PM)
How attached are you to your mobile communications device? Do you respond to calls/texts/e-mails when you are at the movies, or at dinner with the family? At what point does it become rude?

When I upgraded to a phone that could text and receive emails, everyone thought that I would do as they did and put people on hold while I responded to the text. They all got very annoyed when I didn't.

One of my pet peeves is when I'm hanging out with someone and we're having a good time and all of a sudden, they put down their guitar while jamming/pause the movie/interrupt mid conversation to answer a text or something someone posted on facebook. To me, that's a flat out insult to the person you're hanging out with. They aren't entertaining you enough so you need additional stimuli? FFS!

I don't use texting for anything other than short message such as "I'll be 5 mins late", "I'm here", "Where are you?" and the daily school to school good morning text to my significant other. I only respond to texts when I have time (between classes, if I'm eating lunch alone, non-social situations). I will NEVER interrupt an event to answer a text. A phone call, I'll interrupt a conversation/movie/jam session because calling my cell phone is 90% reserved for emergency/important calls.

At what point does it become rude? Provided the texts aren't very important (see second paragraph), it's always rude when you're cutting someone off.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 4 2011, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 5 2011, 01:34 AM)

That's the one..! laugh.gif (Sorry for laughing but that's actually an accurate description!).

I once started answering to someone talking like that. They were on a blutooth headset so it almost looked like they were just talking. At one point he actually looked at me and said "I'm sorry sir, but I'm not talking to you. YEAH SORRY HONEY, SOME A$$HOLE THOUGHT I WAS TALKING TO HIM...YEAH...YEAH I'LL PICK UP SOME EGGS ON THE WAY HOME...YOU WANT ME TO PICK UP FRANCIS TOO? SURE!...."

I find it hilarious how they revert to their normal voices to speak with people in the same room and then start yelling again.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 4 2011, 05:15 PM)
I got a smartphone this year, so I do text more than I used to.. But usually just to a friend if we're going to meet up somewhere

I'm texting more than I used to with my iPhone, mainly because I don't have to worry about a charge of 20 cents per text (sent or received), which is what I had to pay with my old pay-as-you-go RAZR.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 4 2011, 05:15 PM)
But I wouldn't dream of whipping out my phone during dinner, certainly not while driving, during school, etc. etc..

I don't usually use it during dinner, though I'm fond of browsing Wikipedia and reading out random facts to people I'm eating with. It's also cool to be able to answer a question that no one knows the answer to.

I don't do it while driving, because it's illegal and because I detest those who text and drive (but that's another thread).

And I only use it in school when I'm in a class in which there's no work being done; otherwise, it would be taken from me.

Nope - I'm on one of those very basic 25-minutes-per-month plans with no text. I can't really afford anything else. Sometimes I get jealous that other people can get on the Internet wherever, but it's just not in the cards for me. I probably would be addicted to the Internet aspect of it if I had it, though I wouldn't do it while driving or walking, and as far as calls, no. I know too few people IRL to be getting very many calls. My boyfriend is even more reluctant to use it in public than I am...the few times I've had a call, I don't realize how loud my voice can get, and he's always shushing me ohmy.gif

It's tough waiting on the public at work while they're on their phones...I often have to wait or interrupt people to ask them how they want their money back, and good luck with them paying attention to the transaction. Grrr.

Have to admit, I'm a little addicted. unsure.gif

But like PTA said, I think it's the sensory input...I sit in front of a computer all day and I get the input whether I choose to or not, then I kinda crave it when I'm away. I am aware that I'm too attached, so, first step is admitting the problem yeah?

I need my phone, must be able to be reached at all times...single mom and all. I do text a lot.

maybe i need an intervention. Just not as much as PTA. Stapled to your head indeed!