glam rock

tel

so what did you listen to pre rush?

For me it was glam rock which predominantly seemed to originate in the uk in the 70s.

We enjoyed bands like slade,sweet,wizzard,t.rex,mud and many more which i suspect a lot of people reading this wont recognise.

Thrown into the mix we suffered the osmonds,the jackson 5 and several other american groups which would probably be more familiar for our "non brit" contributors.

For those of you who remember glam rock can i ask your thoughts on the era?.

Did you enjoy the music? did you enjoy the ridiculous fashion sense of the artists? and was it a time in your life that you remember fondly?

SOME OTHER NAMES TO CONJURE WITH......

gary glitter,alvin stardust,susi quatro,rubbettes,10cc,david essex

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 25 2011, 02:26 PM)

Kiss

Queen

Alice Cooper

Ted Nugent

Zep

The Who

The Stones

Pink Floyd

Aerosmith

The Cars

The Beatles

Yes

Kansas

Heart

I got into Rush and Van Halen in 1980

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 25 2011, 02:43 PM)

Kiss

Queen

Alice Cooper

Ted Nugent

Zep

The Who

The Stones

Pink Floyd

Aerosmith

The Cars

The Beatles

Yes

Kansas

Heart

I got into Rush and Van Halen in 1980

And he was born in 1950...

tongue.gif

Before Rush, I listened to whatever my friends were listening to. So mostly hard rock and whatever was on the radio. I also liked the music my parents listen to like Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, and country.

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 26 2011, 02:23 PM)
sorry i meant pre rush conception 70-74
actually not sure this is the best place for a glam rock thread

cat.gif heres a cat

oh. sorry. misunderstood the question. thought you meant what was i listening to before i discovered RUSH.

don't think i was ever into the Glam scene... not a David Bowie fan, although i do recognize his talent. i like David Essex 'Rock On' to this day. a very catch hook of a song. was David Essex Glam???...

is Lou Reed Glam? always dug his stuff.

Mmmm, Rush and Black Sabbath were the first bands I was introduced to by my father (who I have surpassed in fandom. It was the chagrin of my mother who figured she wouldn't have to listen to Geddy's voice anymore. Lol.) 1996. Though I did go to the Sabbath show at the agora in 1994. First concert ever. Don't really remember much besides it being loud as shit.

I went though some 90's music phase like Sugar Ray, e.t.c. Then in the 2000's it was nu metal, SOAD, Slipknot, Insane Clown Posse.

Rush and Sabbath stayed first and center though. Then Rush took over. Then I leaned farther into Progressive rock, vs. metal.

Funny that the OP talks about Glam acts. I've been on a little bit of an early Def Leppard kick (up to and including Pyromania) and on a lark I picked up Yeah!, which is a collection of covers. About 80% of them are glam rockers (David Essex, T. Rex, Slade, Sweet, early David Bowie) It's actally pretty enjoyable if you like the band. I don't care for much of their later ballad heavy stuff, but I do like their first 3 albums and about 1/2 of Hysteria.

Of the glam acts I do like David Bowie, Slade and T. Rex.