Animate

Nate2112

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 15 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 15 2011, 09:08 PM)
One of my favorites on CP. A kick ass tune that everybody sounds great on and due to how great the production is, it's the song that marked a "comback" of sorts for Rush musically after the keyboard era.

kind of ironic that it's still a pretty keyboard-heavy song.

Wouldn't really call it keyboard "heavy." The only time you hear any synth is near the end of the song and even then it's pretty subtle.

definitely the best track,along with nobody's hero on counterparts in my opinion.great track/tracks biggrin.gif p.s wanted to welcome you to the rush forum.i have only just joined up myself and have been made most welcome. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 16 2011, 03:45 AM)
One of my favorites on CP. A kick ass tune that everybody sounds great on and due to how great the production is, it's the song that marked a "comback" of sorts for Rush musically after the keyboard era.

Wouldn't really call it keyboard "heavy." The only time you hear any synth is near the end of the song and even then it's pretty subtle.

there's synth in every chorus, but I guess you can't hear it that much over Geddy's bass line.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 16 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 16 2011, 03:45 AM)

there's synth in every chorus, but I guess you can't hear it that much over Geddy's bass line.

The point I was trying to make was that the song is not dominated by keyboards and leaves Alex a non factor like some of their synth heavy material. I never said their wasn't any keyboards at all. This song, along with the rest of the album allowed Alex to shine more than he had in quite some time.

It's a pretty good song; I probably like it it vocally a bit more than instrumentally. The line "A man must learn to gently dominate" is one of the rare instances of Rush lyrics leaving me cold, however, but I realize it could just be the way I'm interpreting it. The rest of the verse seems to be very sensitive, and at least "gentle domination" is better than the way a lot of people dominate!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 16 2011, 05:39 PM)
It's a pretty good song; I probably like it it vocally a bit more than instrumentally. The line "A man must learn to gently dominate" is one of the rare instances of Rush lyrics leaving me cold, however, but I realize it could just be the way I'm interpreting it. The rest of the verse seems to be very sensitive, and at least "gentle domination" is better than the way a lot of people dominate!

Neil is saying that men must dominate women, because they are obviously weak and inferior. Or am I interpreting that wrong? confused13.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 16 2011, 08:41 PM)

Neil is saying that men must dominate women, because they are obviously weak and inferior. Or am I interpreting that wrong? confused13.gif

No, it means man must dominate (or suppress) his "feminine" side. The song is about the woman within the man (the anima). Not other females.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anima_and_animus

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jan 17 2011, 12:19 PM)

No, it means man must dominate (or suppress) his "feminine" side. The song is about the woman within the man (the anima). Not other females.

yes.gif

That's what i've always heard about the menaing of the song. Makes sense to me when you read the lyrics.

I have a complicated (pun intended) story about Animate:

It was one of the first Rush songs I got into. One of my best friends has a drum set and lets me mess around on it for a while whenever I go to his house. Well one day I had a dream that I played the intro to Animate on his drum set. Woke up the next morning, went over to his pad, couldn't play for shit fists crying.gif

That, and Animate is animated in my sig!

z7shysterical.gif cool10.gif

Blech. IMO though counterparts and T4E are far and away the only 2 stinkers in the Rush discography.

Man, CP is twice the album over anything they did between HYF and RTB. I hated all those wimpy guitar albums. Hell I'd say T4E (minus that awful Dog Years) is as well.

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jan 17 2011, 09:29 AM)
I have a complicated (pun intended) story about Animate:

It was one of the first Rush songs I got into. One of my best friends has a drum set and lets me mess around on it for a while whenever I go to his house. Well one day I had a dream that I played the intro to Animate on his drum set. Woke up the next morning, went over to his pad, couldn't play for shit  fists crying.gif

That, and Animate is animated in my sig!

Just wondering,

Why are Maple Leaves illegal? confused13.gif tongue.gif

the anima within?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 17 2011, 08:50 PM)

the anima within?

Nice!

Aaaah, I had a feeling I was missing something. I'm glad this thread prompted me to ask what!

Archived