Phil Collins

vital signz

I look back at old Genesis, and see the level of mastery those guys had over song writing and performance. A look at Phil now leaves one just confused. His writing surely brings him uncountable royalties from Disney and songs played on Top 40 stations across the country, but it is amazing how the man changed over the years. I cannot think of anyone that did such a 180 from one genre of music to another. How about some of you all? Do you all still like what he puts out? I am no longer a fan I have to say....

Phil's OK. I like his first 2 or 3 solo records, and some of the albums he's played on are great too, Grace And Danger, Chinese Wall & Principle Of Moments in particular. But, he went down the mawkish ballad route, and took the Disney dollar along the way, and he lost me.

But, last years Goin' Back is very good. It's all covers, but he pulls it off.

It's disappointing but not really surprising he followed the path he did musically in the '90s considering what lead up to that in the '80s. I actually prefer No Jacket Required over Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance. Anything after these, I have no interest in. Still Phil will always be cool in my book.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 12 2011, 07:36 AM)
he went down the mawkish ballad route, and took the Disney dollar along the way, and he lost me.

This is why i can not listen to him anymore

Definitely a head scratcher. It always amazes me that this is the same drummer/musician who maneuvered through the 9/8 Apocalypse in Supper's Ready or the 5/4 signature of Down & Out with ease and great flow and now just does simplistic beats and fills.

Back then he was a drummer's drummer, now he's just a regular drummer. A good drummer still, but not like early Genesis.

Granted I liked his first 4 solo album, but anything from the 90's on was ignored.

I respect his work however.

I don't think that, in spite of being involved with group writing in Genesis and Brand X, that writing complicated music comes naturally to Phil. Playing it apparently does, but I don't think (and have never thought, tbh) that Phil's writing voice goes in that direction. His solo music (all the way back to Face Value) has always been stripped-down, less complicated, and coming from more of a blue-eyed soul/pop direction.

I don't like much of his music after But Seriously but love much of what is on those first 4 albums. His career arc as a solo artist doesn't surprise me one bit.

I'm a bit hesitant to listen to him now. Considering he was the first really big concert I ever attended (Final Farewell Tour), he's very much one of my favorites. I actually like some of his 90s output, though 'Dance Into The Light' makes me vomit.

I think, as time went on, he became more comfortable with writing on his own. The first three solo albums of his are great. Fully listenable without a doubt. I honestly find anything past 'Both Sides' is down the drain. I don't blame him for going into business with Disney, they offered him a pretty damn good salary for the two soundtracks he made. The recent Motown cover album is great in my opinion. Definitely some surprises on it.

I find it more sad that he's lost his ability to drum. But that's through his own fault. Watching over old bootleg footage from the Genesis Lyceum shows in 1980 and even the 1972 Belgian TV show and Sheperton 1973 concert, you can see his form was completely screwed. But I'm glad I saw him behind a kit twice.

I have to hand it to him though. He was the one who lead me into liking progressive rock music which lead me I to rush. I was offered to go see rush back on the r30 tour and the s&a tour which I turned down because I thought I didn't like them but then in 2006 I was introduced to his music so I got a bit of his music and loved it and read up more about him. Which then lead me to getting into genesis and a little after that I started listening to the gabriel era and saw the beauty in that style of music. Then I found a casstette of "presto" and played it in my car just as I got my license because it was something to listen to and realized how progressive this really was an liked them for their similarity to what I was exposing myself to. So I do owe it to Phil for leadinge down that path.

Although I do have to agree that his 90s albums arent really something I really like but it isn't all that bad. I prefer the first four albums though.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 16 2011, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 16 2011, 02:34 AM)
I never liked Genesis...

confused13.gif

You're a madman! wacko.gif

tongue.gif

Yes, but not because I don't like Genesis...

ph34r.gif unsure.gif ohmy.gif 1287.gif

Genesis had some cool songs, his first couple of solo albums were pretty cool, but now I just see him as a tool for Disney.

Still, I would go see him in concert if he was playing some Genesis with some of his solo stuff.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 20 2011, 09:10 AM)
Genesis had some cool songs, his first couple of solo albums were pretty cool, but now I just see him as a tool for Disney.

Still, I would go see him in concert if he was playing some Genesis with some of his solo stuff.

He played 'Misunderstanding' on the NA leg of his FFF tour. I remember how amazing it was to see him play it for the first time in what seemed to be years. I think he did 'Invisible Touch' during the European leg of the same tour, but I'm not entirely sure.

Archived