Geddy Lee / Eddie Van Halen

tripdad

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 7 2011, 03:35 PM)
EVH is all chops and fast and technically proficient. Alex Lifeson is all about feel and emotion in his playing. Such a huge difference.

Uh, no. You can't just say that about anyone you don't like and expect it to go over. EVH has plenty of emotion in his playing. If you want to see emotionless, maybe something like Yngwie Malmsteen would work. But not EVH. Maybe he's just playing too fast for you to hear laugh.gif

Edited by slappa_da_bass

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 7 2011, 03:44 PM)
EVH is all chops and fast and technically proficient. Alex Lifeson is all about feel and emotion in his playing. Such a huge difference.

Uh, no. You can't just say that about anyone you don't like and expect it to go over. EVH has plenty of emotion in his playing. If you want to see emotionless, maybe something like Yngwie Malmsteen would work. But not EVH. Maybe he's just playing too fast for you to hear laugh.gif

I guess it's just a different opinion. I don't feel anything when EVH plays

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 7 2011, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 7 2011, 03:44 PM)

I guess it's just a different opinion. I don't feel anything when EVH plays

Well, I'm a musician and can feel what he puts into the music, the difficulty and emotion. Maybe that's the difference?

I don't think the fight happened, but I for one would like to see a rumble between Eddie and Geddy...

There's rhyme in my reasoning, it'll be the fight of the seasoning.

Geddy will fight with his nose

Eddie will fall when he blows

with a tissue all full of crows

people die when Geddy snot flows

Eddie will be left staring at his toes

laying down for how long no one knows

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2011, 02:51 PM)
I don't think the fight happened, but I for one would like to see a rumble between Eddie and Geddy...

There's rhyme in my reasoning, it'll be the fight of the seasoning.

Geddy will fight with his nose
Eddie will fall when he blows
with a tissue all full of crows
people die when Geddy snot flows
Eddie will be left staring at his toes
laying down for how long no one knows

trink38.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jan 4 2011, 06:00 PM)
The most amazing thing I have taken from this thread is that DLR actually is credited with writing a book???

I would be surprised if he ever read a book!!! biggrin.gif

He probably spoke a book to his ghostwriter.

I think that EVH was fantastic, but I think he finished up in 81. The first album is stellar and full of killer tone and feeling. The last interesting thing that he did (for me) was Mean Streets which was fantastic. Since then, he seems to be rehashing his stuff. That's not a bad thing cause he did it pretty well. Unfortunately, I could care less what he does now.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 7 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jan 4 2011, 06:00 PM)
The most amazing thing I have taken from this thread is that DLR actually is credited with writing a book???

I would be surprised if he ever read a book!!!  biggrin.gif

He probably spoke a book to his ghostwriter.

I've said it before, but DLR is a smart cookie. Probably more widely read than NEP.

DLR just enjoys fun more than NEP smile.gif

I'm not doubting his intelligence, I am considering the time factor. I was a big DLR fan back in the day. I still think he was the best frontman that ever was

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 7 2011, 11:58 PM)
I'm not doubting his intelligence, I am considering the time factor. I was a big DLR fan back in the day. I still think he was the best frontman that ever was

Sorry, didn't get your drift.

I think he may write fast smile.gif

I heard a version of this rumor in the early eighties that is similar to an early post. The version I heard went like this:

Rush and Van Halen were on tour in the same town, staying at the same hotel, but playing at different venues. After coming back from their show, three members of Van Halen went down to the lobby bar, (Michael Anthony was supposedly passed out drunk) only to find Rush in the bar listening to their own music on a boom box. According to this version, it was David Lee Roth's birthday, and he did not want to listen to Rush on the boom box, so he asked them to turn it off. When Rush refused, a full-on ballroom brawl broke out, with the members of Van Halen being the victors.

This tale, as well as the other versions, reek of urban legends typical of the ones on snopes.com. (This one is not there, don't bother checking tongue.gif) In the early eighties Rush and Van Halen fans were always arguing over which band was better. Die hard Rush fans could not stand Van Halen and vice-verse. The two bands were almost exact opposites as far as musical styles, one being a party band and one a thinking man's band. (You can guess which is which.) Heated arguments always broke out among fans, particularly musicians, over which band was better. It then stands to reason that a rumor like this would eventually manifest itself. It sounds to me like the version I heard probably was created by a Van Halen fan loosing the argument when you compare the bands person-to person, which often happened. Maybe both guitarists are on par, but this is really the extent of where the comparison ends. Especially when you compare both bass players and throw in the fact that Rush does it with three members as opposed to four. So if Van Halen loses the musical comparison then they must be able to win a fist fight, right? (That was a rhetorical question, don't flame me tongue.gif)

I've read DLR's book. Rush is not mentioned in the book at all - period.

The original story goes: A very drunk EVH spilled a drink in a boom box while Ged played him some Rush demos they were working on at the time. There was no violence.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 07:52 AM)
No offense, but Geddy just reminds me of the guy who gets beat up. lolz.

No offense to him, obviously, but I don't think he could take on a drunk EVH.

Alex probably could though.

I think theyd both be very lame fighters. Itd look like two praying mantises fighting. Now NEP vs. AVH - thatd be a fight. Theyd bother do some great "speed bag" on each others heads...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 15 2011, 10:57 PM)

I think theyd both be very lame fighters. Itd look like two praying mantises fighting. Now NEP vs. AVH - thatd be a fight. Theyd bother do some great "speed bag" on each others heads...

Two praying mantises! rofl3.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 16 2011, 03:57 AM)

What's a "speed bag"?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 15 2011, 11:19 PM)
Imagine Lifeson vs. Michael Anthony. They'd probably say "f**k it" and go split a burger and a bottle of Jack Daniels

No they'd probably challenge each other to an eating contest! One hundred cakes in 10 minutes! Winner gets to bang Valerie Bertinelli. If Mike wins Eddie VH has to watch while tied to a chair. If Alex wins he gets to bang her and she makes him another hundred cakes to go!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 15 2011, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 16 2011, 03:57 AM)

What's a "speed bag"?

When you see boxers training they use punching bags as you know. The big ones are called heavy bags and are mostly used to practice body punching. There's lots of other types but the other main one is actually more of a short hung ball that is used to improve timing, and called a speed bag. If you've ever seen boxing depicted in movies or boxers training shown on the news or in a film or documentary you'll have seen them many times.