Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/20140616_090823_zpszfguqawt.jpg

Looking to sell my Music Man John Petrucci 6 String. I want to build an ultimate (imho) Stratocaster.

Nice guitar. :) I'm selling my Strat too. Had two people who have wanted it and backed out. Selling kind of sucks.

What medium are you using to sell?

Tried eBay now I have it on Reverb.com and Craigslist.

Post it up on the Music Man forum at http://forums.ernieb...ic-man-guitars/ - that's where the JP gear heads hang, so is the market you're after. Kevin

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was going to try Craigslist and Reverb, as well.

See, I was going to make some smart a$$ remark about why he would have bought that in the first place...

I DETEST selling gear. I've gotten rid of 3 guitars over the years. 2 of those are regretful now. I've traded drums for new kits twice. Wished i'd kept them all... :)

Were you referring to me and selling the Music Man? :LOL:

It's a great guitar, no doubt. I bought it in 2007, and played it pretty much exclusively for two years until I got my Strat. But even then, I played it quite a bit still at jams and such, for the next couple of years. Now that I have a Tele and a Gretsch that command a lot of my time and attention, plus the Strat and the Les Paul, the Music Man can sit for months at a time without being taken off the rack. And I have a desire to get another Strat with Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the neck and bridge, and a Strat pickup in the middle. That guitar would be ridiculously versatile.

See, I was going to make some smart a$$ remark about why he would have bought that in the first place...

I DETEST selling gear. I've gotten rid of 3 guitars over the years. 2 of those are regretful now. I've traded drums for new kits twice. Wished i'd kept them all... :)

It's a great guitar, no doubt. I bought it in 2007, and played it pretty much exclusively for two years until I got my Strat. But even then, I played it quite a bit still at jams and such, for the next couple of years. Now that I have a Tele and a Gretsch that command a lot of my time and attention, plus the Strat and the Les Paul, the Music Man can sit for months at a time without being taken off the rack. And I have a desire to get another Strat with Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the neck and bridge, and a Strat pickup in the middle. That guitar would be ridiculously versatile.

What the hell are you gonna use that concoction for?

I don't know much about the Duncans except the ones I've played with before were really hot.

What the hell are you gonna use that concoction for?

I don't know much about the Duncans except the ones I've played with before were really hot.

The P-rails are combination P-90, single coil, or humbucker, depending what you have turned on on the pickup. In case it's not clear, having the P-90 and the single coil turned on at the same time makes the pickup a humbucker. I'll be able to mix and match the sounds, and have a guitar that can do just about every type of music I'd be interested in playing.

• Like 1

Considered the P-Rails for my Lester but opted for the multi connector Classic 57s instead. I am not crazy about my push/pull pots though. Not sure where I got them. I think maybe Stew-Mac, but I have to check. Bridge is too bright at full. Have to pot down to near half for something clean that's not harsh.

Finally put some new strings on my Tele (.10's.)

Next up will be new pickups, probably some kind of Seymour Duncan Tele replacement combo or another.

Although I've really liked my Tele's pickups, so far, I know I need to change them. It just depends on how hot I want to go.

I put 10s on my Tele too (the guitar came with 9s), and I much prefer the 10s. More oomph, and they feel more stable under the fingers.

And I figure I'll replace the pickups too, at some point. Maybe the Texas Specials that Cyg is talking about, or Dimarzio Twang Kings.

Finally put new pickups on my Tele. After reading overwhelmingly positive reviews, I ordered the Keystone T-set, made by Bill Lawrence. NOW my Tele sounds like the Tele I've been imagining. Low output, but with the perfect balance of spank and balls, with a glassy smooth high end. And at $76 for the set, they're the best-kept secret in Tele pickups. Had to wait two months for them (they're made to order), but worth the wait.

• Like 6

Next up will be new pickups, probably some kind of Seymour Duncan Tele replacement combo or another.

Although I've really liked my Tele's pickups, so far, I know I need to change them. It just depends on how hot I want to go.

I put 10s on my Tele too (the guitar came with 9s), and I much prefer the 10s. More oomph, and they feel more stable under the fingers.

And I figure I'll replace the pickups too, at some point. Maybe the Texas Specials that Cyg is talking about, or Dimarzio Twang Kings.

Finally put new pickups on my Tele. After reading overwhelmingly positive reviews, I ordered the Keystone T-set, made by Bill Lawrence. NOW my Tele sounds like the Tele I've been imagining. Low output, but with the perfect balance of spank and balls, with a glassy smooth high end. And at $76 for the set, they're the best-kept secret in Tele pickups. Had to wait two months for them (they're made to order), but worth the wait.

$76 for the SET. How!?!?!?

Nowadays, pickup sets are really expensive. I got a set of Lace Sensors and they were $130. A Bill Lawrence L500 is $60 alone, or somewhere around $60.

Well Lace Sensors are a little different than your standard pups so they should cost a little more because of how they are made, but other pickups are essentially magnets, plastic and copper for the most part. Not exactly the most costly ingredients. Pickup winders can be had for as little as $300 if you can build one from a kit or about $400-$500 new. Then just buy some bobbins and wire and make your own!

You mean how are they so inexpensive, right?

The pickups in the Danny Gatton Telecaster are made by Bill Lawrence. They are supposed to have replaced the Joe Bardens. There was no Joe Barden at the time, I believe.

But the Bill Lawrence on the Gatton Telecaster sound amazing in all three positions.

I need to hear a Telecaster with new Joe Bardens on it. I very well might switch pups again.

My Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette comes with the following:

1 DiMarzio custom single coil; 2 DiMarzio PAF PRO humbucking

Is there any point in me changing out the neck pup for something like an emg 81?

It would be nice to get a little more grunt, but I don't want to sacrifice the warm, woody tone I get with the stocks...any opinions?

Is there any point in me changing out the neck pup for something like an emg 81?

It would be nice to get a little more grunt, but I don't want to sacrifice the warm, woody tone I get with the stocks...any opinions?

Try changing it out and change it back if you don't like it.

In this case it's not that simple. EMGs are active pickups which require a battery, so where on the guitar to put that battery is a concern.

Fridge, there are several Dimarzio neck pickups that will give you more grunt. But the first question is, how do you like your current bridge pup? Usually, you don't want a neck pickup with more output than the bridge.

Because there is lower string volume near the bridge so a hotter pickup suits that position better. Although using a hotter bridge pickup is a relatively recent phenomenon from the late 80s early 90s. The old Gibsons and Fenders from the 50s, 60s and 70s had pickups that all had relatively the same output. In the 70s guys wanted higher output pickups in general for distorting amps then things started to get more refined along the way.
  • Like 1

I have a new guitar, but I can't figure out how to post a pic. It's a Rainsong and I'm using it on a gig tonight.

The board doesn't allow direct uploading of images. You'll have to upload it to a pic hosting site like Photobucket.

Thank you. I will get on uploading one.

In this case it's not that simple. EMGs are active pickups which require a battery, so where on the guitar to put that battery is a concern.

Fridge, there are several Dimarzio neck pickups that will give you more grunt. But the first question is, how do you like your current bridge pup? Usually, you don't want a neck pickup with more output than the bridge.

I thought it was a given and implied that both pickups would have to go... I might have just read the original post wrong.

But yes fridge, you would be swapping them both out.

If you really want active there are also duncan blackouts as well as other makes.

I have had both blackouts and EMGs (still have an emg set from around 1986 in one guitar)

Just my opinion but I find you get get a little more grunt using lower output pickups and adjusting the amp to get where you want to go. note that adjusting the amp doesn't always mean more gain.

Edited by boofie

Thanks for the replies guys, but I am officially an idiot...first of all I meant the bridge not neck....In any case, I experimented with angling the pickup and found that if I raise the end near the high pitched strings, I get a little more bite...i didn't really need more gain after all, just a little something to cut the mix a bit better and that did the trick.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys, but I am officially an idiot...first of all I meant the bridge not neck....In any case, I experimented with angling the pickup and found that if I raise the end near the high pitched strings, I get a little more bite...i didn't really need more gain after all, just a little something to cut the mix a bit better and that did the trick.

That is the move of a thinker and a smart person, not an idiot.

I'm glad you found an easy solution that works for you. You have a great guitar with great pickups, and I'm glad you found a way to get the sound you want, while keeping the whole thing intact.

• Like 2

That is the move of a thinker and a smart person, not an idiot.

I'm glad you found an easy solution that works for you. You have a great guitar with great pickups, and I'm glad you found a way to get the sound you want, while keeping the whole thing intact.

Cheers

yeah, I really didn't want to mess with them as I love the tone...the only modification I'm going to have now is to get the other guitarist in my band (who is really handy with this sort of stuff) to fit a treble bleed capacitor to stop it getting a bit bass heavy when I roll off the volume to clean the sound up...apart from that, I'm still totally in love with the guitar and it would take something very special to replace it.