Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

Just purchased tablature books for King Crimson's 80s albums + Thrak made by Trey Gunn himself. High hopes that the steep price will be worth it, however the price probably makes sense considering its got all bass, stick, and drums as well.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, ST3V said:

Just purchased tablature books for King Crimson's 80s albums + Thrak made by Trey Gunn himself. High hopes that the steep price will be worth it, however the price probably makes sense considering its got all bass, stick, and drums as well.

I really love Discipline, and I'm starting to wonder if Beat isn't just as good.  I used to like Three of a Perfect Pair a lot more back in the early 90's, but not nearly as much now.  I only got into Thrak a couple of years ago, but I really quite enjoy it.  One tough part about playing Thrak is, Fripp was using New Standard Tuning by then, and that's not something you can just tune your guitar to and expect good things to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I really love Discipline, and I'm starting to wonder if Beat isn't just as good.  I used to like Three of a Perfect Pair a lot more back in the early 90's, but not nearly as much now.  I only got into Thrak a couple of years ago, but I really quite enjoy it.  One tough part about playing Thrak is, Fripp was using New Standard Tuning by then, and that's not something you can just tune your guitar to and expect good things to happen.

Yeah the New Standard thing is just something I'll have to work around, if I care enough I might try to translate some of his parts into standard myself.

I've found that Beat songs seem to work better in a live setting. I've been obsessed with their performance of Waiting Man at The Noise in 1982, its so mesmerizing. That show was great all around. And I always dig the weirdness of Perfect Pair, I love the instrumentals like Industry and Nuages.

Edited by ST3V
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Maverick said:

Well, I did a thing:

Kiesel California Carved Top in Crimson Red

You absolutely did do a thing! She's a beaut!  :thumbsup:

The extra mini toggle switch -- did you opt for piezo bridge saddles?

7 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

You absolutely did do a thing! She's a beaut!  :thumbsup:

The extra mini toggle switch -- did you opt for piezo bridge saddles?

Yes.  I had a piezo system on my Music Man JP6 that I had from 2007 to early 2019.  I kind of missed having that option, so I thought this was an opportunity to get it back.  I think in a lot of ways this guitar replaces that guitar, but in an overall better package.  Interestingly, if I hadn't gotten the piezo, there would have been a three way toggle for the pickup selector, much like on the PRS Custom 24 guitars, and the Tone knob would have been push-pull to split the coils.  But because I got the piezo, the volume knob went where that toggle would have gone, so I got a five way switch, and no push-pull.  I wasn't really clear on that when I ordered it, but I had an idea it might be coming that way based on what the virtual builder showed me.  My only complaint with the five way switch is that I get both humbuckers in the third position (at least I'm pretty sure, they don't sound split to me,) but I can't get both split.  Positions one and five are bridge and neck humbuckers, respectively, and two and four are bridge and neck split.  And I'm really quite happy with 1, 2, 4, and 5.  I just don't think I'll be landing on 3 much, or ever.  But both split pickups could have been really good.  And full and split bridge with the piezo is really quite good, too.  So yeah, it is very versatile, it looks amazing, and it plays great, too.  And it is a chunk!  I haven't weighed it, but it is heavier than my Aries.  I'll have to see how it compares to my SE McCarty 594 single cut.  That guitar is 8lb 3oz.

And if you are curious, the bridge pickup is a Lithium, and the neck is a Beryllium.  Apparently it is a pretty popular combination.  I have a bridge Beryllium in my Aries.  And the neck wood is Walnut and Mahogany.