Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

I thought you had a few of those too.

I just got an EHX Electric Mistress Flanger. Does that count?

I spent a bit of time battling between getting that one, the MXR, and the Joyo flanger I have now.

Joyo won out cause it had everything I needed for only $35.

• Like 1

I thought you had a few of those too.

I just got an EHX Electric Mistress Flanger. Does that count?

I spent a bit of time battling between getting that one, the MXR, and the Joyo flanger I have now.

Joyo won out cause it had everything I needed for only $35.

Score!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91akmYY1TcL._SY355_.jpg
  • Like 2

It needs a "Good to Suck" ratio I think. Turn up the good and turn down the suck...
  • Like 1

A few weeks ago, I was trying out guitars in Guitar Center. I saw an LTD that was equipped with active EMGs. I dislike active EMGs but I decided to try out the guitar anyways to see if I could get any decent tones. I played on the overdrive and clean channels for less than a minute and switched guitars. My goodness, active EMGs sound like farts. The James Hetfield EMGs are decent though. Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

Took some pics today when I was cleaning up the music room ..

1979 Tobacco Sunburst Standard, and my favorite( right now ), the 1975 Black Custom .. Both all original except for the tuners and tailpiece on the '75, and some of the pots inside ..

http://s26.postimg.org/w503ojbw9/LPs_01.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/x8k80hwjd/LPs_02.jpg

• Like 6

That Standard is very Ace Frehley! Very nice. :)
  • Like 1

1979 Tobacco Sunburst Standard, and my favorite( right now ), the 1975 Black Custom .. Both all original except for the tuners and tailpiece on the '75, and some of the pots inside ..

So is there much noticeable difference in sound between them?
  • Like 1

Customs don't generally have the maple top that Standards do.
  • Like 1

Well I have

Custom built EVH Frankenstrat Replica

Charvel from about 1986

1979 White Fender Strat

1983 Tokai Strat Copy butchered to the max - resprayed in satin black, one of the first Floyd Rose in UK added, Seymour Duncan invader dumped by the bridge, fretboard flattened and Chunky Jim Dunlop frets installed, all rewired to single volume pot. In those days in the early 80's you could not buy an EVH type guitar off the shelf

A Kawai guitar - this was my first electric bought by my father for me and it is very rare and a beautiful instrument. Looks like a double cutaway Les Paul and sounds great but heavier than my house!!!! ha ha

http://kawaiguitars.com/All5a.jpg

The one on the far left is the same as mine.

Fender 12 string acoustic

Sanchis 1978 hand made classical

Taylor 6 string acoustic

And some old beaten up 6 string acoustic, don't know what make it is but just sounds and plays beautiful. The neck was like a bow and the top was coming away from the body, I was going to chuck it but I took it to a guitar builder and he fixed it up for me for 40 quid. Glued the body back, straightened out the neck and set it up just perfect, he told me that it was a really nice instrument so I play it every day now. I could have the top refurbished but it plays so lovely and I kind of like it just the way it is. I can take it to parties and not worry if I bang it against something if I get drunk ha ha.

Amp wise I have a 1975 Marshall Master Volume JMP 100 head, the same one that Scotty and Robbo used on the Jailbreak album. Let me tell you about that amp, I have owned it since 1984, paid £150 for it and used it for 15 years in the pubs and clubs in the north of England. It was left in the van, had beer spilt down the back of it and was generally treated badly. It would crackle and fizz onstage so I would just give it a whack with my fist to make it behave itself. It was completely f***ed but it never gave up on me not one time. The tolex was hanging off it and the electrics were well dodgy, it was knackered. A few years ago I managed to find a Marshall trained technician who gave it a whole new life for 350 quid, sounds a lot but that amp is now perfect cosmetically and electronically and worth well over a grand now. It aint ever leaving my house now, I owe that amp a lot of money.

• Like 3

So is there much noticeable difference in sound between them?

HB, yes, there is .. The black Custom is actually noticeably lighter in weight and is more open sounding - and leans on the treble-ly side, but still sounds nice and full .. The sunburst is the heaviest guitar I have ever had - and it sounds that way too - the crunch is amazing ..

When I play the custom, I usually roll the tone control on the bridge pickup down to 3 .. I don't have to do that w/ the sunburst .. both have the original pickups ..... I am a stickler with the pots and the caps that go in there ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Been playing roughly 2 years.

Guitars:

-Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (Alpine White)

-Squier Bullet Strat (that I rarely if ever play) (HSS) (Arctic White)

Amp:

-Peavey Vypyr 30 watt combo

Effects:

-Boss CS-2 compressor (that I never use)

-Big Jam Chorus (An off-brand chorus that's not too bad)

-Boss GE-7 EQ

-Boss Turbo Overdrive (that I rarely use)

-Boss PS-2 Pitch Shifter/Digital Delay

-MXR Phase 90

The Boss and Big Jam pedals where given to me by my dad, I purchased the Phase 90 myself.

• Like 2

Been playing roughly 2 years.

Guitars:

-Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (Alpine White)

-Squier Bullet Strat (that I rarely if ever play) (HSS) (Arctic White)

Amp:

-Peavey Vypyr 30 watt combo

Effects:

-Boss CS-2 compressor (that I never use)

-Big Jam Chorus (An off-brand chorus that's not too bad)

-Boss GE-7 EQ

-Boss Turbo Overdrive (that I rarely use)

-Boss PS-2 Pitch Shifter/Digital Delay

-MXR Phase 90

The Boss and Big Jam pedals where given to me by my dad, I purchased the Phase 90 myself.

Ash, is the Phase 90 a script logo reissue ??

I love the vintage gear, and I've got a bunch of it - but I decided to get the new reissue script logo Phase 90 and I love it - MXR did a great job with that one

I changed the first pre-amp tube in my Mesa Boogie Lonestar today, and omg, what a huge difference!

The clean channel was more sparkly, and had more life to it. That was expected. But the real benefits came with the higher gain channel two! For the last few years, it seemed like it took channel two a bit to warm up and get cooking. I rarely use that channel because I have a Mark V, and I have a shit ton of overdrive pedals. But today, right after I switched the tube, I went to channel two, using my Strat, and omg, the gain! And right away! It was pretty much like getting at least a new prdal ($200 for my snobby-assed tastes!) or even a new amp. This just solidifies my desire to convert this from a 2x12 Leviathan to a 1x12 monster.

The moral of this story is, if your current amp isn't blowing your skirt up, try just changing the tubes. It can work winders!

I realized by looking at the amp schema that this particular tube would affect the whole amp, as well as the drive of channel two. Well, the schema also says that two other tubes affect Gain Stage two and three. They will be the next replaced.

And if you are wondering about my power tubes, they are on the list. However, Mesa says if you run at Tweed power, you may never have to replace the power tubes. I loves me some Tweed!

Edited by Maverick